Oregon Defeats Team USA 93-86 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Oregon Defeats Team USA 93-86

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
This same USA team just blew out so called top teams Stanford, Oregon State and Texas A&M. Doubt there is another college team that can stay with them even if they haven't practiced much. Also can't think of any international teams other than the US team that would give the Ducks a game.

Now we've ventured in to the absurd.

Reaction Score
If Oregon remains healthy the entire year ain't nobody beating them!

I’ve read that Sabally is missing the first three games of the season for national team reasons.

It’s probably good that they’re playing Northeastern, Utah St, and Texas Southern (all at home) during that stretch.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Didn't see the 2nd half of this game, but Oregon clearly wasn't intimidated. No question, they are deserving of their pre-season ranking. I still believe that the PAC-12 champion will have 2 losses in conference this season.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Could happen but earth may not be flat also! I think the only one of those teams that has a prayer against Oregon is Stanford.

Whoaaaaaa hold the guzzling sizzle there. 2 things still remain a fact on this green earth. 1) Geno is still here. 2) He's still boss.

And ain't no way any Geno team doesn't have a prayer's chance against anyone. I think he knows fully well who Oregon is and he won't let a blowout happen in Gampel.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think OU has reached the status that if they play their A game, they will win it all. However, playing an A game means that they have to shoot the 3pt shot very well and that can come and go. With the question marks we have, just getting to the FF is a good accomplishment this year. When our 2020 reinforcements come and Sabrina is in the WNBA, our run will start again. :D

Reaction Score
Oregon is a great team that should be favored to win the NCAA Championship. But it is deceptive that most articles hyping this "historic" victory neglect to mention that the U.S. Olympic team was missing most of its froont court players including MVP Elena Delle Donne, Brittney Griner, Tina Charles, Breanna Stewart and A’ja Wilson.

Reaction Score
Oregon is a great team that should be favored to win the NCAA Championship. But it is deceptive that most articles hyping this "historic" victory neglect to mention that the U.S. Olympic team was missing most of its froont court players including MVP Elena Delle Donne, Brittney Griner, Tina Charles, Breanna Stewart and A’ja Wilson.
Difference makers.

Reaction Score
Also, we are living an era where the favorite to win doesn’t always win.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
In the days leading up to this game, it was just another game on the schedule for team USA, nothing special or to write home about. Not so for Oregon. This was a once in a lifetime opportunity to play against some of USA's best professional women BB players at home. Ionescu and her mates took the right approach to the game: "Let's go out and have some fun, play hard, and see how close we can stay to them".

Whether team USA was motivated or not, they ARE grown professional women who's skill level and understanding of the game supersedes anyone on Oregon's roster. Oregon shocked the world with this monumental upset. As someone said yesterday, this win by the Ducks was tantamount to a shot fired across the bow of WCBB. The number 1 ranked Ducks (and Baylor) are going to be a real tough nut to crack this year, and the teams to beat, especially at home. I wouldn't want to be the next team on USA's schedule.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Now we've ventured in to the absurd.
Possibly. Germany with Satou and the Ducks without her might be interesting. Still the Ducks with their current team would give any international team fits.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
That was just another game on the schedule for the USA team, nothing special or to write home about. NOt so for Oregon. This was a once in a lifetime opportunity to play against some of USA's best professional women BB players at home. Ionescu and her mates took the right approach to the game: "Let's go out and have some fun, play hard, and see how close we can stay to them".

Whether ttean USA was motivated or not, they ARE grown professional women who's skill level and understanding of the game superedes anyone on Oregon's team. Oregon shocked the world with this monumental upset. As someone said, this win by the Ducks was tantamount to a shot fired across the bow of the rest of WCBB. The Ducks (and Baylor) are going to be a real tough nut to crack, especially at home. I wouldn't want to be the next team on USA's schedule.

While all the University teams kept the games reasonably close in the first half, only OU and I would venture to say Sabrina had the temerity to be pissed and to up their game. As the kiddies say, much respect.

It will be interesting to see if they are in top form for the FIBA Americas Olympic Pre-Qualifying Tournament next week

1573407570487.png

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
While all the University teams kept the games reasonably close in the first half, only OU and I would venture to say Sabrina had the temerity to be pissed and to up their game. As the kiddies say, much respect.

It will be interesting to see if they are in top form for the FIBA Americas Olympic Pre-Qualifying Tournament next week

View attachment 47951

How confident can team USA be going into this tournament knowing they just lost to a group of college level players? :confused: This was a wake up call to be sure.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
How confident can team USA be going into this tournament knowing they just lost to a group of college level players? :confused: This was a wake up call to be sure.

There first game against Brazil is clearly the toughest but I think the US will be at their best to avoid what would be an incredibly embarrassing back to back loss.

Reaction Score
1999 was the last time it happened...USA lost to Tennessee!
In 1999, Tennessee [perhaps] had more talent than the National team having just won three straight NCAA titles with the Meeks - Chamique, Tamika & Semeka .. and wasn't current TN coach, Kelly Jolie, on that team? And the TN coaching, led by Pat Summit, wasn't too shabby either.
Chamique was from Christ the King [Queens, NY] which gave us Sue Bird and Tina Charles, eh?
My daughter[who played at Penn] played alongside Chamique at CK. Thus, I have seen Chamique play quite a bit in high school and college and consider her to be [in her prime] the GOAT in women's basketball. Jus sayin'.

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
I missed the game sounds like it was a great effort by OU. I am excited for more good WCBB programs rising to a more competitive level. Stanford played quite well I saw a Final 4 team. This will be a great season in WCBB...

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
In 1999, Tennessee [perhaps] had more talent than the National team having just won three straight NCAA titles with the Meeks - Chamique, Tamika & Semeka .. and wasn't current TN coach, Kelly Jolie, on that team? And the TN coaching, led by Pat Summit, wasn't too shabby either.
Chamique was from Christ the King [Queens, NY] which gave us Sue Bird and Tina Charles, eh?
My daughter[who played at Penn] played alongside Chamique at CK. Thus, I have seen Chamique play quite a bit in high school and college and consider her to be [in her prime] the GOAT in women's basketball. Jus sayin'.

The game in 1999 was after Holdsclaw and Jolly had graduated — it was at the outset of the 99-00 season. They were not on the TN team when the Lady Vols played Team USA.

Reaction Score
I think OU has reached the status that if they play their A game, they will win it all. However, playing an A game means that they have to shoot the 3pt shot very well and that can come and go. With the question marks we have, just getting to the FF is a good accomplishment this year. When our 2020 reinforcements come and Sabrina is in the WNBA, our run will start again. :D

Why do you think the University of Oklahoma (often referenced as OU) will win it all and not the University of Oregon? (never referenced as OU). Just curious.

Reaction Score
I honestly can't believe some of these comments (not just here) that are nitpicking Oregon's incredible win! Yes, many good players were absent from the USA team, but then what about Oregon's blue chip transfer 6'7" Sedona Prince being unavailable?

I have to say I think Sue Bird should have gracefully bowed out like Lindsey Whalen did and allow USA Basketball to invest in the future of the backcourt. I'd say the same thing about Tamika Catchings last Olympics.

Reaction Score
Congratulations to Oregon on a win and experience their players, coaches and fans will never forget. Ionescu is phenomenal and last year during our E8 loss to them Sabaly impressed me just as much. Graves has built and excellent team.

The womens national team now reminds me of how the men’s team function when they began to lose their grip on world dominance. Lots of players with other commitments and seemingly throwing together a team in a few weeks, with a few practices and expecting them to win each game in domination fashion won’t likely cut it. Hopefully players will recover from injuries and the US will be at full strength by next summer.

Reaction Score
After watching Oregon at home in Eugene a couple of times over the past two years I can say they are not a "very good team", they are an "outstanding team". Sabrina is kinda like DT whether you like the comparison or not. She has that pit bull attitude and can take over a game at will. With her current set of teammates I would not be surprised if they went undefeated this season

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Stanford seemed to do it frequently, but this is NOT the Pac-12 of 6 years ago!

Definitely true. Stanford last won the conference in '13-'14 @ 17-1. Every regular season champ since then has had at least 2 conference losses. Last time Stanford ran the table was '11-'12.

Reaction Score
The game in 1999 was after Holdsclaw and Jolly had graduated — it was at the outset of the 99-00 season. They were not on the TN team when the Lady Vols played Team USA.
I stand corrected .. I just assumed she'd be there .. thanks! .. I just looked it up .. TN won by one point .. two of the Meeks were still on the team and Kara Lawson was a freshman while Ace Clement ran the point for TN.
I remember Ace on the Cardinal O'Hara team that my daughter's Christ the King team beat for the high school NC in 1996, the year after Chamique graduated from CK.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom