Oregon (4) @ Oregon St (7) - 1/26/20 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Oregon (4) @ Oregon St (7) - 1/26/20

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
She’s the one that always says “Shoot til your arm falls off!”

I can't understand why they are ESPN's number 1 announcing pair. I find a lot of the younger ladies do a much better job and don't have annoying catch phrases.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Glad Oregon won both games. It seemed to me that the OSU fans on the BY were a little surprised by the lack of "respect" (ie. comments that OSU shouldn't be a 1 seed, etc), but they have lost 4 out of their last 5. Granted, 3 of those were to Oregon (2) and Stanford. ASU was a glitch, but still, definitely not a 1 seed. 3, or maybe a 2 depending on the rest of the season...

Reaction Score
Glad Oregon won both games. It seemed to me that the OSU fans on the BY were a little surprised by the lack of "respect" (ie. comments that OSU shouldn't be a 1 seed, etc), but they have lost 4 out of their last 5. Granted, 3 of those were to Oregon (2) and Stanford. ASU was a glitch, but still, definitely not a 1 seed. 3, or maybe a 2 depending on the rest of the season...
And Colorado threw a major scare at them.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score

Those comments were when they were undefeated and had some good wins against DePaul, Missouri St. and Miami (oops, that one didn't hold up) and most other teams didn't have much in the way of quality wins yet. No OSU fan thinks they should be anywhere close to a #1 seed now.

Reaction Score
I can't understand why they are ESPN's number 1 announcing pair. I find a lot of the younger ladies do a much better job and don't have annoying catch phrases.

They’re not #1. That would be Amin and Lobo. Lobo is in the studio today.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
And Colorado threw a major scare at them.

Give it a rest. You've been droning on about that nonstop for almost a month. Buffs get another shot at them next weekend, win that game and you'll have something to actually talk about.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Oregon St is now 4-4 in Conference Play and in 6th Place. They're three down in the loss column to Stanford, UCLA and Oregon. Charlie had them as a #2 Seed in his latest bracket. IMO they're now a #3 seed. Still not a team that anyone will want to face on their home court. Which ever bracket they end up in, the #1 Seed hopes they don't drop to a #4 Seed.

Reaction Score

I would have to disagree as they have done the two biggest games this week. If your doing the biggest matchups and getting flown across country to do them, then your number 1.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Don't know who the #1 Announcing Team is, but I can't see Rebecca wanting to go out west today. She'll want to be on hand for all the goings on with UConn and the Sr Team Tomorrow. I imagine Rebecca has a lot of say on which games she's going to at.

I would have to disagree as they have done the two biggest games this week. If your doing the biggest matchups and getting flown across country to do them, then your number 1.

Reaction Score
They are #1 and were in Eugene for the Oregon Stanford game along with Holly Rowe. Those 3 also did Monday's Tennessee UConn game which was promoted by ESPN for historical significance. My guess is they will do the Oregon UConn game 2/3 and the Stanford Oregon rematch 2/24. They probably are also doing the USA/UConn exhibition tomorrow.

GoDawgs4

MSU and All That Too
Reaction Score
I am sure this has been answered before but why did the PAC 12 schedule these games back to back? Second question , since they did do it, why so early in the conference schedule?

Just kind of leaves me SMH.

TBH,I thought the two threads were about the same game on Friday until I saw the score earlier today.

Reaction Score
With a 12 team league it makes sense and allows them to stagger the men's and women's PAC-12 tournaments allowing the fanbases to possibly attend both as well as enable more opportunities for TV coverage for each tourney. I hate it, as a key injury can allow you to be swept. The men only play 1 game in a week and then do a return trip in the 2nd half of the season allowing the women's tourney to start a week ahead of the men's.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Add in the fact that Kara Lawson and Doris Burke both left for greener pastures and we're stuck with twiddle dee and twiddle dum moving up the announcing tree. They are better than Carolyn Peck who I was stuck listening to on the LSU-Tennessee game. If I hear one more time about her time coaching with Pat, I may puke that gawd awful orange color up on my desk...:rolleyes:

Where's Eric Frede when we need him to move up? He would replace the less annoying one of the two...

Reaction Score
Let me see if I can make an argument for why they're actually good. First, especially for the SoCal, Bay Area, Oregon, and Arizona schools, it's pretty feasible to take in both games in a weekend, and so they make for a nice "home and away" series as with other sports (like Soccer) that do that.

Second, what I like most about it is that I'm often not as familiar with, in my case, Cal in any given year, but watching them play in the first game gives me lots of thoughts about how they could better adjust to Stanford, and vice versa, how Stanford could adjust to their specific players, style of defense, sets they run on offense, etc. From a tactical standpoint, it's really fun to see how both teams adjust in just two days, because there are unlikely to be personnel changes or player growth in that short of time, so it's all about rapid fire adjustments.

Third, as others have said, it's much harder to beat the same team twice back to back, which tends to make the second game more competitive than I think it otherwise would be.

As strange as it sounds, I now actually look forward to the home and away civil war weekends, even in the years (like this one) when the paired team is really not very good.
Are you calling your game with Cal a "civil war". I thought it was 'the game".

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I am sure this has been answered before but why did the PAC 12 schedule these games back to back? Second question , since they did do it, why so early in the conference schedule?
It's been this way since the conference expanded to 12 teams. Combination of reasons:

1. Conference scheduling is built around 6 pairs of "travel partners."
2. Conference play doesn't traditionally open until after Jan. 1.**
3. They play the women's Pac-12 tournament before the men's.
3. With an 18-game conference schedule, that leaves only one weekend between Jan. 1 and the Pac-12 tournament for the two games vs. travel partners.

** Some of the travel partners mutually agree to move one of their two games to before New Year's. This year, that was the case with the UA-ASU, USC-UCLA, UW-WSU and Utah-Colorado, each of whom played on Dec. 29. For whatever reason (scheduling conflicts?), the Oregon schools and the Bay Area schools didn't do this and kept their original scheduling intact.

No idea about the other question on timing.

GoDawgs4

MSU and All That Too
Reaction Score
Okay I get it. Back in the old days of the SEC, they did something somewhat similar on the Men’s side. There were 10 teams then , with 5 pairs of match-ups. The games were scheduled on Saturday-Monday and the teams on the road made one trip for two games. When you played your partner , then it was just one game on Saturday and you got Monday off.

The pairs were: Kentucky-Vanderbilt, Tennessee-Georgia, Auburn-Florida, Mississippi State-Alabama, LSU-Ole Miss.
Round robin 18 game home and home. The only difference being they did not play their paired team back to back.

In Oregon-Oregon State’s case, they have to do it like this or else (as you suggested) play one game before New Years , which nobody likes to do because school is out.

Thank You for clarification.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Okay I get it. Back in the old days of the SEC, they did something somewhat similar on the Men’s side. There were 10 teams then , with 5 pairs of match-ups. The games were scheduled on Saturday-Monday and the teams on the road made one trip for two games. When you played your partner , then it was just one game on Saturday and you got Monday off.

The pairs were: Kentucky-Vanderbilt, Tennessee-Georgia, Auburn-Florida, Mississippi State-Alabama, LSU-Ole Miss.
Round robin 18 game home and home. The only difference being they did not play their paired team back to back.

In Oregon-Oregon State’s case, they have to do it like this or else (as you suggested) play one game before New Years , which nobody likes to do because school is out.

Thank You for clarification.
The Pac-12 men have the same system, but they have an extra weekend before their Pac-12 tournament, so it doesn't require the travel partners to play back to back. For example, Arizona and Arizona State just played on Saturday -- the only game of the weekend for each team -- and they'd previously played on Jan. 4. (It's not unusual for the Pac-12 to schedule rivalry games for conference openers.)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom