Oregon 2019 vs. UConn 2016 | The Boneyard

Oregon 2019 vs. UConn 2016

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Recently, to distract myself from post-election news, I decided to watch the three games that UConn lost last year (to Baylor, Oregon, and South Carolina) in rapid succession. There was a noticeable similarity among the three games: UConn was competitive for 3 out of 4 quarters in each game, and really lost the game in one quarter -- the first quarter against Oregon and South Carolina, and the fourth quarter against Baylor. Really, against Baylor, UConn competed for 35 minutes, and was down by only 55-54 with about five and a half minutes left when they caved in completely.

My impression from the three games is that Baylor and South Carolina should have been single-digit games decided by a few points, possibly on the last possession. But Oregon seemed to me to be a different case, where UConn really was overmatched in talent and experience. I think if UConn had played a seven game series against either SC or Baylor, UConn probably would have lost the series in either seven or six games, but might well have been swept in a similar series against Oregon.

Oregon's skill and experience made me think of the 2016 UConn team with Stewie, Moriah, and Morgan Tuck. I think a case can be made that those two teams (UConn 2016 and Oregon 2019) were very similar, each having an uber-star (Stewie or Sabrina) and two other players who were more talented than anyone on most other teams, even Top 10 teams. They were even similar in their roles:

Sabally as the inside-outside forward similar to Stewie (but of course Stewie was far more skilled);
Sabrina Ionescu as the point guard, just like Moriah but bigger and better;
Ruthie Hebard in the Morgan Tuck role -- two players who were really quite comparable.

Oregon even had a KLS type of player in Erin Boley, whose several early 3's helped to establish a 10-point first quarter lead that basically decided the game.

Who would win if Oregon 2019 played a seven-game series against UConn 2016? I would love to see that series, and I think it could go either way. I would give the very slightest edge to UConn, but it would really be an even-money bet.

Reaction Score
Recently, to distract myself from post-election news, I decided to watch the three games that UConn lost last year (to Baylor, Oregon, and South Carolina) in rapid succession. There was a noticeable similarity among the three games: UConn was competitive for 3 out of 4 quarters in each game, and really lost the game in one quarter -- the first quarter against Oregon and South Carolina, and the fourth quarter against Baylor. Really, against Baylor, UConn competed for 35 minutes, and was down by only 55-54 with about five and a half minutes left when they caved in completely.

My impression from the three games is that Baylor and South Carolina should have been single-digit games decided by a few points, possibly on the last possession. But Oregon seemed to me to be a different case, where UConn really was overmatched in talent and experience. I think if UConn had played a seven game series against either SC or Baylor, UConn probably would have lost the series in either seven or six games, but might well have been swept in a similar series against Oregon.

Oregon's skill and experience made me think of the 2016 UConn team with Stewie, Moriah, and Morgan Tuck. I think a case can be made that those two teams (UConn 2016 and Oregon 2019) were very similar, each having an uber-star (Stewie or Sabrina) and two other players who were more talented than anyone on most other teams, even Top 10 teams. They were even similar in their roles:

Sabally as the inside-outside forward similar to Stewie (but of course Stewie was far more skilled);
Ruthie Hebard in the Morgan Tuck role -- two players who were really quite comparable.

Oregon even had a KLS type of player in Erin Boley, whose several early 3's helped to establish a 10-point first quarter lead that basically decided the game.

Who would win if Oregon 2019 played a seven-game series against UConn 2016? I would love to see that series, and I think it could go either way. I would give the very slightest edge to UConn, but it would really be an even-money bet.

UCONN 2016 in 5. Oregon might have "individual talent" but it was not as impressive as UCONN's overall "team talent."

This Oregon team lost in double digits in one game and the other game they lost-- the 4th quarter they were beaten by 16 points resulting in a 6 point loss. That's a total collapse. vs a 20-11 team.

You go undefeated you have pressure throughout. Teams that not only lose once but twice - that's a characteristic of weakness which the 2016 did not share. I can't imagine a 20-11 team beating UCONN while wiping them out by 16 points in the most crucial quarter.

And who is going to beat that UCONN team by double digits like Louisville did?

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score

This .."It should have been a single digit game (Baylor and South Carolina) could have easily been "It could have been a worse loss" or "It could have been a win"...It's irrelevant because the scores are what they are and the games were played with the results being what they are. I never understand why people try to mitigate games to fit the narrative of their expectations. I could do that with any game....but...back to the last question. I think the UCONN team of 2016 may have been the best team they had, ever. It's very subjective but I do have a good reason for that analogy.....I am not sure a seven game series would be necessary against Oregon of 2019....UCONN in 4 or 5.....6 at the most.....but that's just my opinion.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The 2016 UConn Championship team consisted of what would eventually amount to 6 x 1st team AA’s (Stewie, Tuck, Mo, Lou, Pheesa, Gabby) and 3 NDPOY’s (Mo, Gabby, Kia). I’m not sure there’s another team in the history of WBB, not named UConn, that could beat the 2015-16 UConn Huskies.

As for a 2016 UConn vs this past season’s Oregon team. Get the brooms out. UConn would sweep the series in 4 games.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The 2016 UConn Championship team consisted of what would eventually amount to 6 x 1st team AA’s (Stewie, Tuck, Mo, Lou, Pheesa, Gabby) and 3 NDPOY’s (Mo, Gabby, Kia). I’m not sure there’s another team in the history of WBB, not named UConn, that could beat the 2015-16 UConn Huskies.

As for a 2016 UConn vs this past season’s Oregon team. Get the brooms out. UConn would sweep the series.
Making largely the same argument as Oldude with different specifics, in addition to first team all americans and defensive players of the year, remember that players 8 & 9 on that team were good enough to be drafted by the WNBA (Chong and Butler) and #10 when she transferred become a starter on a pretty good team in a good conference (Ekmark).

Reaction Score

The 2019 Oregon team was a damn good team, but they would get blown out and swept in a best of seven vs the 2016 UConn team. That UConn team was one of the best ever and featured 6 players that were/became All Americans. Nurse would shut down Ionescu, Stewart would shut down Sabally, and Williams would shut down Hebard, people forget just how good of a defensive team that UConn team was.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The 2019 Oregon team was a damn good team, but they would get blown out and swept in a best of seven vs the 2016 UConn team. That UConn team was one of the best ever and featured 6 players that were/became All Americans. Nurse would shut down Ionescu, Stewart would shut down Sabally, and Williams would shut down Hebard, people forget just how good of a defensive team that UConn team was.
Agree, other than the fact that Tuck would shut down Hebard. Assuming a healthy Lou, Gabby was the 6th man on that team with Pheesa the 7th.

Reaction Score
"I never understand why people try to mitigate games to fit the narrative of their expectations": that's what some of us humans do... just because.... :rolleyes:

Hands down, the 2016 team would dominate that 2019 Oregon team. Three NDPOYs. It would be a long night for Sabrina & Co. Don't forget, Moriah likes to defend you from taking the ball out of bounds. :D

Reaction Score

As for a 2016 UConn vs this past season’s Oregon team. Get the brooms out. UConn would sweep the series in 4 games.

Get the custodian brooms, not my grandmother's broom. :D

Reaction Score
In 2017, UConn was undefeated until the semi-final game, despite losing the Big Three. Will Oregon do the same in 2021?!

Nothing against OR. I love their program and coach.....but NOT!! That's a tall task for any team losing that much offense, including the POY. They still have a good team.

Reaction Score

You must be really bored lol..... Let's put this to rest right now...Any team with Stewie and Jefferson would NOT lose to any team...of any era....on any court....any time....Lol.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Lol as a South Carolina fan that has seen some of our pretty good teams get dismantled in the 1st quarter by UConn teams from the Stewie era.. I’m just gonna come out and say that it would be a 4 game sweep. I’m willing to give her her flowers in hindsight... but we really need to just sit and think about how much better Breanna Stewart was than her peers in college. It was her, then a chasm, then the next best player.

Those UConn teams were so good. It was like poetry. I’m actually laughing as a type this because the beatdowns they would dish out were so ugly, yet so glorious, but also hilarious.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Lol as a South Carolina fan that has seen some of our pretty good teams get dismantled in the 1st quarter by UConn teams from the Stewie era.. I’m just gonna come out and say that it would be a 4 game sweep. I’m willing to give her her flowers in hindsight... but we really need to just sit and think about how much better Breanna Stewart was than her peers in college. It was her, then a chasm, then the next best player.

Those UConn teams were so good. It was like poetry. I’m actually laughing as a type this because the beatdowns they would dish out were so ugly, yet so glorious, but also hilarious.
Way to ...

1605967372113.jpeg

Reaction Score
Well the Oakland Raiders would sweep the Pittsburg Steelers even with the iron curtain. Living in the past....:(

Reaction Score
Don't forget about the previous meeting between UConn and Oregon. It was in 2017 (the game before the Miss St loss) UConn gave them a thumping 90-52. Sabrina and company were freshmen. That was sitting with them for three years. No motivational speech needed.

Reaction Score

Was there when #1 South Carolina came into Gampel against Stewie, Mo, Tuck and #2 UConn. Let's just say South Carolina didn't leave #1.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
From an outsider's perspective, I think UCONN wins handily. If it was a 7 game series, Oregon might steal a game or 2 since they were SO lethal from deep and could be very dominant when playing their best ball, but I dont see Oregon having an answer for Stewart or having the consistency needed to win a series. I think there's a good shot the Huskies sweep them.

Oregon was excellent but UCONN had arguably the best team of all time and the top 3 WNBA draft picks in a solid draft class. Not to mention the very next year they went 37-1 after losing all 3 of those players.

Reaction Score
From an outsider's perspective, I think UCONN wins handily. If it was a 7 game series, Oregon might steal a game or 2 since they were SO lethal from deep and could be very dominant when playing their best ball, but I dont see Oregon having an answer for Stewart or having the consistency needed to win a series. I think there's a good shot the Huskies sweep them.

Oregon was excellent but UCONN had arguably the best team of all time and the top 3 WNBA draft picks in a solid draft class. Not to mention the very next year they went 37-1 after losing all 3 of those players.

In the NBA it is hard to sweep unless you are simply overwhelming better or a bad matchup etc. I think the 2016 team is best ever. But Oregon was a terrific team - so one game - one steal of a game- I think can be done.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
You must be really bored lol..... Let's put this to rest right now...Any team with Stewie and Jefferson would NOT lose to any team...of any era....on any court....any time....Lol.
This is as close to the facts as you can get....

Reaction Score
Jon Samuelson was sitting up there somewhere with daughter KLS. KLS went against the family tradition and chose UConn.

Mike in Storrs, if you say it, you have to deal with it. I"m still on your side.

UConn did win 37 straight after that game. I'd rather lose the second game of the year than the last game of the year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom