Orange Bowl Announces 12-year ACC agreement | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Orange Bowl Announces 12-year ACC agreement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
USF and UCF are non-entities in the college sports landscape, no matter how good they are.

This is really a moronic statement from someone whose mantra is academics. Just dumb. I guess Butler was a non entity when they were playing in the finals back to back years. Oh wait, they actually became America's team.

and football is no different than basketball. TCU, Boise and even freaking UTAH have had big years recently when they became a TV draw, UCF and USF can do the same. You just have a self loathing for anything related to Big East football.

Baylor was a non entity when we played them. Last year they were must see TV.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
This is really a moronic statement from someone whose mantra is academics. Just dumb. I guess Butler was a non entity when they were playing in the finals back to back years. Oh wait, they actually became America's team.

and football is no different than basketball. TCU, Boise and even freaking UTAH have had big years recently when they became a TV draw, UCF and USF can do the same. You just have a self loathing for anything related to Big East football.

Really?? How many times did people turn on a Butler basketball games this year or last? Based on your reasoning they should have been huge draws! They're America's team but I can recall maybe two games they had on national TV and my guess is those ratings didn't blow the doors off.

How many people turned on a TCU/Colorado St or UConn-Rutgers game when given options like Oklahoma-Missouri or any SEC match-up. What the original post you replied to said is spot on. If you're not a name brand you're not going to draw lots of attention. Unfortunately, this will be the reality for the NBE for awhile. Unless the game contains Boise, no one will watch nationwide. Even the, Boise might not draw that much unless they are on the verge of an undefeated system.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I'd agree, except- they have a bowl and the Big East doesn't. Just because their influence is waning doesn't mean it isn't a major problem to not have a legitimate anchor bowl.

Agreed. There's no doubt the ACC is in a far better position than the Big East and having an anchor bowl is a big part of that.

My point was that the allure of what used to be staple bowls, i.e. Orange, Fiesta, etc. have been decreasing in recent years and now with the playoff I would expect that to accelerate.

It's not so much an ACC bash as a bash on the bowl system in general and the importance the games hold.

Reaction Score
How many people turned on a TCU/Colorado St or UConn-Rutgers game when given options like Oklahoma-Missouri or any SEC match-up.

Sorry, I missed the thrilling Oklahoma / Missouri game last year. I hope you enjoyed it.

The original post was talking about the postseason not the regular season like you made in your bogus Butler analogy. The point is that in any year any team can emerge and gain national attention if they give the nation a reason to tune in. You somehow missed that very simple point. The original post said UCF and USF could never bring an audience no matter how good they are which is just stupid.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Sorry, I missed the thrilling Oklahoma / Missouri game last year. I hope you enjoyed it.

The original post was talking about the postseason not the regular season like you made in your bogus Butler analogy. The point is that in any year any team can emerge and gain national attention if they give the nation a reason to tune in. You somehow missed that very simple point. The original post said UCF and USF could never bring an audience no matter how good they are which is just stupid.

Wow you really have a hard time responding without being offended by everything huh? My point is that there is currently no one in the NBE that will move the national needle anytime in the next 10 years. It's a reality and not a knock on the conference. Boise is the only team capable of doing anything on a national scale but who knows what will happen in a few years in terms of the playoff and it's impact of teams in certain conferences. I can't see any team outside Boise that will make the nation want to tune in at any point, regular season or post-season, in the near future.

Reaction Score
Wow you really have a hard time responding without being offended by everything huh? My point is that there is currently no one in the NBE that will move the national needle anytime in the next 10 years. It's a reality and not a knock on the conference. Boise is the only team capable of doing anything on a national scale but who knows what will happen in a few years in terms of the playoff and it's impact of teams in certain conferences. I can't see any team outside Boise that will make the nation want to tune in at any point, regular season or post-season, in the near future.

Again, see ratings for Rutgers/Louisville a few years back. Win games and have some good players and interest grows quick. The bigger cities and markets we have in our conference give immediate attention to a winner. The Big East can move the needle but not with 8-4 teams. We need some very good teams very soon to get people watching.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Am I missing something? The ACC Champion will play who in the Orange Bowl? Doesn't the SEC and others have contracts to send their Champion, 2nd, 3rd , 4th place teams etc to certain bowls? I guess all bowl contracts to be renewed? If so, how does the Orange Bowl compare to other major bowls when Clemson Ranked 14th plays Mich State Ranked 17th? NNBE Champion may be the best available and may be a very good get. Maybe Boise ranked 5th or 6th (won't be higher as they need to keep them out of playoffs). OB may no longer a Major Bowl or soon will not be.

Leading contenders for a non-semi Orange Bowl opponent for the ACC champ? B1G #3, SEC#3, ND, B12 #2/3, BE champ. Like the BE, of the three affiliated BCS bowls, the OB gets the least respect and just has to make the best of it.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
This is shows the difference between the big East and the ACC, though. The ACC went out and tied up a bowl game for their champ. The Big East hangs around hoping someone will call. Same old lack of leadership. You don't like the terms of the deal? OK, that's fair, but who's talking about the Big East being agressive? Lining up a long term deal? The B-10 and PAC 10 have. The B-12 and SEC have. The ACC now has. The Big East??? The leadership in this conference has been dreadful since Gavitt retired.

Reaction Score
This is shows the difference between the big East and the ACC, though. The ACC went out and tied up a bowl game for their champ. The Big East hangs around hoping someone will call. Same old lack of leadership. You don't like the terms of the deal? OK, that's fair, but who's talking about the Big East being agressive? Lining up a long term deal? The B-10 and PAC 10 have. The B-12 and SEC have. The ACC now has. The Big East??? The leadership in this conference has been dreadful since Gavitt retired.

it would be a nice start to atleast appoint a commissioner during arguably one of the most important and landscape shifting times in college football. Strong leadership from the Big East is alot to ask for. I'd settle for someone to blame everything on at this point.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
"You serious, Clark?"

The ACC already had an agreement with the Orange Bowl, and the ACC had UM and FSU in the OB's backyard. There is no doubt that we want to be aggressive, but we always were the one BCS conference without a BCS bowl defined - and there was a reason for that.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Give me a break. Baylor is a much bigger name than USF and UCF, so is Utah. Much bigger. Basketball is entirely different than football, and no Butler didn't do much for the ratings. Had a big name team been in those games, the ratings would be much higher. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/05/ncaa-championship-game-ra_n_845190.html

Reaction Score
That the Big East didn't manage to have a deal for its champ tyo play in the Orange, when it made just so much sense to do that is yet another problem and why I said that Big East leadership has been dreadful. They have been beaten to the punch by the ACC every single time on every single issue. Despite superior on-field performance (did you miss last year's utter dismantling of ACC Champ Clemson by a team with 2 Big East losses?) the Big East is being left out of the major conferences in most discussions. The ACC commissioner is a scumball, but he fights for his league tooth and nail.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Good point. I can't remember the last time Syracuse played in a bowl game.

Hey c'mon now let's be fair. Syracuse will now suck in a league that has some teams that used to be pretty good. That's a big step forward, well for them anyway, sure, not a big as actually improving their on the field performance, but... yeah I got nothing, they'll still suck.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
What happens to the ACC champ every 3 years when the Orange Bowl is hosting a semifinal?

Reaction Score
What happens to the ACC champ every 3 years when the Orange Bowl is hosting a semifinal?

I think I read that their champ still gets an auto bid to one of the Big 6 Bowls. So the AQ's aren't really dead. Just stripped from the BE.

pj

Reaction Score
That the Big East didn't manage to have a deal for its champ tyo play in the Orange, when it made just so much sense to do that is yet another problem and why I said that Big East leadership has been dreadful. They have been beaten to the punch by the ACC every single time on every single issue. Despite superior on-field performance (did you miss last year's utter dismantling of ACC Champ Clemson by a team with 2 Big East losses?) the Big East is being left out of the major conferences in most discussions. The ACC commissioner is a scumball, but he fights for his league tooth and nail.

This is not a problem. The Big East champ's bowl destination is a huge bargaining chip in the upcoming TV negotiations. The Big East can do what the ACC just did, affiliate with say the Capital One Citrus bowl in Orlando, send its champion there, and have another TV property to sell through its network partner. Ideally, the BE champ bowl will be one of the big 6 that rotates to take the national championship. Then the Big East will be in exactly the same situation as the ACC.

We can't tell whether the ACC is beating the Big East till we see the deals. The ACC has its deals in place, the Big East will negotiate them soon.

Reaction Score

LMAO. LIke you don't recognize that the team that obliterated Clemson isn't a Big East member.

The ACC has a deal with the Orange Bowl, and the Big East doesn't, because the Orange Bowl for a number of reasons having little to do with recent on field performance wants it that way. Your need to scapegoat reality is becoming absurd.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I agree that the Big East leadership leaves a lot to be desired, but some of you are over simplifying things. Competent leadership can only get you so far, the core issue, that cannot be changed when regarding the playoffs and bowls are that none of our teams are national draws with a rich history. That's the issue and that's why we're stuck where we are.

If Big East teams are ranked and playing in late season meaningful games, people will watch. Like others have said, just look at the ratings for the trio of Rutgers, Louisville and WVU games in 2006.

Lately, the Big East just hasn't had that quality of teams in the league or had the compelling matchups that will draw a big national audience.

The ACC can get by on reputation alone and having some decent teams, lately being VT and they get a pass.

Due to a combination of our recent BCS performances, ESPN propaganda and relatively small fan bases, the Big East has to win to receive national interest.

If the Big East doesn't put winners on the field, and we continuously miss out on the playoff and major bowl game payouts the league is going to be screwed going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom