Opinions: Best Android smart phones of 2016/2017? | The Boneyard

Opinions: Best Android smart phones of 2016/2017?

Reaction Score
Hi folks,

My Iphone4 is not functioning as well as it used to. I am in the market for a new cell phone and I am looking for advice.

-I love android, it is just so intuitive. So I am looking for something that runs android.
-I want a smart phone that is a Non-Chinese phone. Sorry huawei and lenovo.
-I love samsung (my tablet still rocks after 30 months) but looking for something that is not samsung IF POSSIBLE.
-Perhaps a phone that allows for sd slots, replacable batteries (iphones lacking those two are my main pet peeves) and huge amounts of internal storage (like 256 gb+)
-Has an above average camera (the camera on my samsung tab is surprisingly good).
-I won't get into all the techie numbers, ha.

What would you get considering the above?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
There is no phone that fits your list. You're going to have to comprimise. A lot.

If you need a removable battery and an SD slot, build a time machine and go back to 2015.

Otherwise, decide what you're going to compromise on. You can buy a Samsung s8, get an SD slot, accept that you can only get 64B of memory and the fact that if you're lucky, you might get one OS update before your phone is deemed obsolete. Or you can buy a Pixel, deal with 32 or 128GB of memory and forgo the expandable memory. You're not replacing the battery in any of the flagship phones unless you want to consider some of the LG's from last year.

In reality, you have a seven-year old phone which leads me to believe that dropping $750/800 on one of these phones is not in the cards. Go to Amazon and buy any cheap unlocked Android phone from 2015/2016 - or reconsider avoiding some of the Chinese manufacturers.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I will not buy Chinese electronics either, so that knocked out Motorola for me. I have a Pixel. Good battery, good interface. I had to do a factory reset 3 weeks after buying the phone, and I have more reception dead spots with the phone than I had with my last Razr Maxx.

I dislike every phone on the market now.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I had some QC issues with the Pixel as well. Google manages to do customer service even worse than Samsung which I thought was almost impossible. A warranty return and swap took a month and necessitates a $700+ hold until they get the returned unit.

But if you're buying an Android phone and actually value OS updates, I don't think there's any other option but the Pixel.

Reaction Score
The Nexus seemed like it was the closest to what I wanted. But the pixel seems pretty darn good too. I have seen the occasional sony or Nokia phone floating around that seem pretty decent too.

Reaction Score
But I can not find a Pixel or Nexus in Colombia. I will be moving to Guatemala in two weeks and I assume it will be the same there too.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Your best bet is to probably grab something as close to what you want off of Amazon - buy an unlocked phone so you can just swap out SIM cards whenever you're heading somewhere new. Look for an LG....they have removable batteries in a lot of cases and also take storage cards. And they're made in Korea, I think.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom