Opening Week (Non-UConn) Game Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Opening Week (Non-UConn) Game Thread

Reaction Score
Villanova beating UCLA would have been a big scalp for the conference -- big missed opportunity there.

That's the sort of win that would have buoyed the whole BE in terms of the computer numbers.

Reaction Score
Georgetown still getting run by Dartmouth. Down 13 under 7 minutes left.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
just came here to chime in about Dartmouth - Georgetown a big ooooof

Reaction Score
Even though GT losing - Aminu Mohammed looks really good. Will be fun watching his career progress in college and potentially NBA.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Ewing has to figure out a way to keep players from wanting to leave.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
10:30 PM:

Texas @ Gonzaga - ESPN2: This will be my “Sunday Morning Coffee” game before yard work. The amount of talent in the front court is insane: Timme, Holmgren, Mitchell, Disu, Bishop…
Timme unstoppable to start the game.

Reaction Score
Just finished watching the Gonzaga/Texas game. I would have loved to see this matchup in two months once Texas can get a chance to get its chemistry together, but still, very impressive win for the Zags.

I can't imagine another team with greater title hopes than Gonzaga.

Start with Drew Timme. His hands in the low post are elite level: his ability to catch tough pass while defended well (Christian Bishop is a heck of an interior defender), adjust his footwork and score with touch is some of the best I've ever seen.

The rest of their starting lineup is so well-balanced: Nembhard is their steady senior distributor with elite length, Bolton is their veteran microwave scorer/bucket-getter, Holmgren is their stretch rim-protector and Strawther is their glue guy.

Off the bench, their development of Anton Watson has been impressive as he brings the team a much needed physical post defender they haven't had since Brandon Clarke.

Just total domination by the Zags.

It was interesting hearing Fraschilla talk about Tre Mitchell: this isn't the A-10 anymore...he seems totally outmatched by the speed and athleticism of the Zags. This was the first game where I've thought yes, I love UConn's frontcourt, but this is the first time I've been totally cool with Tre Mitchell not committing w/ UConn.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Here's my bonus Sunday preview:

Noon:

Yale @ Seton Hall - FS1: Potentially an interesting game, but even though Yale should be one of, if not, the best team in the Ivy, I’m not confident they will be gelled together after a year off. Greenwich’s Jack Molloy is a big part of Yale’s future and will be an interesting prospect to see develop

1 PM:

Florida State @ Florida - ESPN: Great opening weekend in-state game. Leonard Hamilton is one of my favorite coaches and it seems like he’s never rebuilding, just retooling. Houston transfer Caleb Mills will be a big scoring boost while the top-30 freshman wing duo of Matthew Cleveland and Jalen Warley will be exciting to see how they fit in Hamilton’s system.

Florida won the Myreon Jones sweepstakes and are a team mostly built by transfers. I don’t think he’s playing Sunday, but I wish Keyontae Johnson a speedy recovery. Hope to see him on the court soon.

3 PM:

South Dakota State @ Stephen F. Austin- ESPN+: Very good mid-major matchup. South Dakota State is arguably the top team in the Summit, returning FIVE double-digit scorers, three of which averaged 15+ last season. SDSU has good size too: their starting lineup clocks in at 6’4, 6’4, 6’6, 6’7 and 6’8.

SFA, the former Southland stud, is entering its first year in the WAC and should be a top-tier team thanks to three of their best players returning for a fifth year. Gavin Kensmil is their stud, a 6’7 260 monster in the post. SFA is known for two things: causing turnovers (3rd in nation last year) and offensive rebounding (7th in nation).

5 PM:

Western Kentucky v South Carolina - ESPNU:

I feel like people are sleeping on WKU. Yes, all-time great Charles Bassey is gone, but Stansbury has done a nice job plugging in his spot with DePaul transfer Jaylen Butz and 7’5! Jamarion Sharp. BC/Maryland transfer Jarirus Hamilton has started the season averaging 16.5 ppg. Amongst their returnees, sophomore point guard Dayton McKnight is averaging 26.5/7/5 and the team will be even stronger once former Cincy wing Keith Williams plays.

For South Carolina, I’ve always like Frank Martin coached teams: not very gifted in skill, but they work their butts off.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
Saint Bonaventure down 9 to Canisius with 11 minutes left.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
It was basically all Bonnies after that point though. They won by 9.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom