Opening Week (Non-UConn) Game Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Opening Week (Non-UConn) Game Thread

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Personally, I always enjoy the pluck and grit of Providence and its fans.

Thank you for your interest in Connecticut basketball.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Well, you've always got WaterFire. That's pretty cool, right?

Reaction Score
Providence pulled away and had a much better second half. Sacred Heart looked like they just ran out of gas, which is to be expected in games like that.

Not watching the Creighton game, but it it’s 26-24 Kennesaw state with about 16ish minutes left. What a crazy low scoring game, must be super slow.

Update: just looked at the box score and the shooting %s are absolutely brutal for both teams. Creighton has some super promising freshman but it’s gonna take some time for them to adjust after losing their entire starting lineup

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Providence pulled away and had a much better second half. Sacred Heart looked like they just ran out of gas, which is to be expected in games like that.

Not watching the Creighton game, but it it’s 26-24 Kennesaw state with about 16ish minutes left. What a crazy low scoring game, must be super slow.

Update: just looked at the box score and the shooting %s are absolutely brutal for both teams. Creighton has some super promising freshman but it’s gonna take some time for them to adjust after losing their entire starting lineup
3 point game with1:23 left

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
Arizona State and UC-Riverside tied at 63 with 0:13 left.

ASU won on a last second shot.

Edit: UC-R hit a better shot in the one second ASU left them and won. That's gotta hurt.

Last edited:

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
I think ASU lost on the last second shot, no? UC riverside ended up winning
Oh wow you're right!
I was following the gamecast. It was tied and then I saw ASU 65-63 with 1 second left. I assumed they won but apparently UC-R hit a buzzer beater 3 to win. Wow. I've gotta find a clip of that shot. Too bad the game was on the Pac-12 network or I would have watched it.

Edit: Look familiar?

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
Riverside was allowed to inbound the ball 3 times. Referees blew a late whistle after the first inbound to check the game clock - totally unnecessary. The clock either started too early or too late after the second inbound. The kid made the bomb on the third try. This board would meltdown if that happened here.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Sure I do.

Even the humorless ones.

Reaction Score
Here's my Saturday and Sunday Viewing Preview. Between my sister's birthday and a quinceanera, my Saturday is pretty booked, so please enjoy these matchups on my behalf:

Saturday Morning Coffee Game, 11:30 PM Friday: Villanova @ UCLA - ESPN2

Cronin’s defense against The Suit’s beautiful offense…get your popcorn ready (or Corn Pops, for morning watchers like myself).

12 PM:

Coppin State @ UConn - FS2: Fun reminder…Coppin State’s coach is Juan Dixon.

1 PM:

Harvard @ Iona - ESPN3: It was a ton of fun watching a live game in New Rochelle on Thursday! A “palpable buzz” w/ Pitino at the helm as he had the loudest applause during pre-game lineup announcements, even from the student section.

SMU grad transfer Tyson Jolly (19 points in debut)` immediately jumps in as their heart-and-soul leader as a physical lead guard while their three-man front court trio of Nelly Junior Joseph (big low post bruiser) and their stretch bigs Quinn Slazinski (Louisville transfer) and Dylan van Eyck will make Iona a force in the MAAC.

Harvard is more of an unknown after a year off from Covid, but they’ve been a top Ivy team since Amaker has taken over. Boiling the matchup down to coaches: Pitino vs Amaker is a hell of a mid-major matchup. Definitely should be a good game and a worthy watch after the UConn game.

2 PM

Colgate @ NC State - ESPN+: Upset alert: Four starters return from last year’s Colgate team, led by first team Patriot Leaguers Nelly Cummings and Tucker Richardson. NC State returns a meh offensive tea, and their elite rim protector, Manny Bates (2.7 bpg) is out for the year. I’m checking the spread on this one.

4 PM

Saint Peter’s @ St. John’s - FS2: This is going to be a fun game w/ two tenacious defensive teams. Saint Peter’s KD Ndefo is arguably one of the best defensive players in the country averaging 1.4 steals and 3.6 blocks last season. Posh is a punishing defensive bully, but Saint Peter’s doesn’t have that “one guy” for Posh to glue himself to. I’m checking the spread on this one.

7 PM:

Eastern Kentucky @ Milwaukee - ESPN+: EKU is one of the fastest teams in the country and Milwaukee has Patrick Baldwin, so definitely an interesting mid-major match-up.

Ohio @ Cleveland State - ESPN+: Ohio started the season w/ a big win over Belmont. Cleveland State coach Dennis Gates has a bright high-major future, but right now in the present, he’s coaching an old team w/ eight seniors/grads in his rotation.

9 PM:

Boise State @ UC Irvine - ESPN+: One of the best MWC teams vs the best team in the Big West. The do-everything Kevin Durant clone Derrick Alston graduated, but Boise State boasts a strong trio of senior/grad wings in Abu Kigab, Devonaire Doutrive and Emmanual Akot, all three former Pac-12 players.

UC Irvine runs through 6’9 senior Collin Welp, a mid-range technician. Caron’s son, JC, is a rotation guy and potential starter.

10:30 PM:

Texas @ Gonzaga - ESPN2: This will be my “Sunday Morning Coffee” game before yard work. The amount of talent in the front court is insane: Timme, Holmgren, Mitchell, Disu, Bishop…

SUNDAY:

Noon:

Yale @ Seton Hall - FS1: Potentially an interesting game, but even though Yale should be one of, if not, the best team in the Ivy, I’m not confident they will be gelled together after a year off. Greenwich’s Jack Molloy is a big part of Yale’s future and will be an interesting prospect to see develop

1 PM:

Florida State @ Florida - ESPN: Great opening weekend in-state game. Leonard Hamilton is one of my favorite coaches and it seems like he’s never rebuilding, just retooling. Houston transfer Caleb Mills will be a big scoring boost while the top-30 freshman wing duo of Matthew Cleveland and Jalen Warley will be exciting to see how they fit in Hamilton’s system.

Florida won the Myreon Jones sweepstakes and are a team mostly built by transfers. I don’t think he’s playing Sunday, but I wish Keyontae Johnson a speedy recovery. Hope to see him on the court soon.

3 PM:

South Dakota State @ Stephen F. Austin- ESPN+: Very good mid-major matchup. South Dakota State is arguably the top team in the Summit, returning FIVE double-digit scorers, three of which averaged 15+ last season. SDSU has good size too: their starting lineup clocks in at 6’4, 6’4, 6’6, 6’7 and 6’8.

SFA, the former Southland stud, is entering its first year in the WAC and should be a top-tier team thanks to three of their best players returning for a fifth year. Gavin Kensmil is their stud, a 6’7 260 monster in the post. SFA is known for two things: causing turnovers (3rd in nation last year) and offensive rebounding (7th in nation).

Reaction Score
Auburn struggling a bit with Louisiana-Monroe. Auburn up 4 with 14 minutes left in the game.

Reaction Score
Marquette in a battle with New Hampshire. Marquette led 2-0 and then didn't retake the lead until about 1:30 left in the first half. Right now they're down 2 in the 2nd half.

EDIT: Marquette escapes

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom