Opening day (Tuesday, Nov. 5) | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Opening day (Tuesday, Nov. 5)

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Washington St. is crushing Pepperdine. Maybe Coach Etheridge will take a jump forward in year 2 on the Palouse.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
These announcers keep talking about Stanford potentially playing Baylor in the final of the tournament up in Victoria, BC, but I'm pretty sure they are mixed up and it would actually be Mississippi St.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Washington St. is crushing Pepperdine. Maybe Coach Etheridge will take a jump forward in year 2 on the Palouse.
I have my eye on them as perhaps the #7 Pac-12 team. She did well to get Hristova to stay another year, and she has an experienced senior point guard in Molina. There are enough pieces there to think they should be better than last year.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
92-27 Stanford final. The freshmen all look good. EWU is not good.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I have my eye on them as perhaps the #7 Pac-12 team. She did well to get Hristova to stay another year, and she has an experienced senior point guard in Molina. There are enough pieces there to think they should be better than last year.

The top 6 seem fairly predictable, but after that it's hard to know what to expect. I'm hoping UW will move past several other teams this year. The race for #7 could be intriguing.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Cincinnati takes down Utah, 68-62. A significant win for a program on the rise.

AAC > Pac-12 :D

Whew. The other 6 Pac 12 teams in action tonight might've salvaged their reputation. :rolleyes:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Cincinnati takes down Utah, 68-62. A significant win for a program on the rise.

AAC > Pac-12 :D

Soon to be 2-0 after California (assuming no other matchup I am unaware of)

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I watched the Arizona game thru 3 quarters, Cats were up 20+. I think their whole freshman class is international players. One in particular, Helena Pueyo from Spain, looked good. Nice feel for the game, stat sheet stuffer, hit a couple 3's. I'll be interested to see more of her.
We do it with foreign players and transfers.:D. No joke, several of the current players, not all new this year, are transfers, and many of the rest are indeed foreign, including the entire freshman class. Amari Carter from Penn State is starting and Shaina Pellington from Oklahoma is sitting out her transfer year (actually, she is heading up to Canada to play on one of the National Teams next week, hope it doesn't affect her grades).

The other freshman, besides Pueyo, that looks especially good is Mara Mote from Latvia. Definite real deal.

The others looked good in the exhibition, less so against "real" competition but give them time. The only one who didn't play today was Birna Benonysdottir, I'll share the pronunciation when I get to see it again, it does not sound anything like how it is spelled. Fascinating.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
The Tennessee game can be seen in it's entirety on VolNation.

Reaction Score
I have watched the first three minutes of the USC(west coast) vs CSUN game and will state that USC will have the worst team in the Pac 12, and I havent seen all of the teams yet.
They had quite a few key players not play this game. They'll be middle of the pack imo.

Reaction Score
She's a very very good coach. Did really well at Northern Colorado and was an assistant at Kansas State when they were a top 25 team. Hard to recruit there though.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Notre Dame shot 33 free throws to Fordam's 2.

lmao

I was at the game, which was played at Rose Hill, and while I was aware that ND was well ahead in that department, I had no idea of that discrepancy.
The day after, a few things come to mind:
- ND was looking to go down low (before Vaughn went out). Fordham's bigs all had four or five fouls.
- Peoples and Gilbert were also driving to the basket and overpowered some of the Ram's smaller guards. Unfortunately, both shot poorly from the line (5-9, 4-9), which needs to improve. (By contrast, Brunelle was 4-4).
- By constrast, save for a few isolation drives or put-backs, Fordham was largely shooting from outside: 38 of their 72 FG attempts were 3's.
- Fordham was fouling the last 90 seconds of the game.

ND will now have to wait and see what the severity of Vaughn's injury is. Mik and Sam Brunelle looked pretty good together in the 2nd quarter when ND outscored the Rams 20-10. After Mik went out, the Rams smartly collapsed on Sam. Luckily, former AAU teammates Gilbert and Peoples picked it up.

Reaction Score
No I didn’t, but it’s only so much a player can do talent wise. I’ve seen three years worth. Harris & HH are both players that would have to rely on hard work because they don’t necessarily have the best talent in my honest opinion. Harris’ best year was her freshman year, I haven’t seen any growth since.

I don't want to go all Mississippi State on this thread so I will try to make this the last post about Carolina.

I think Harris has refined her game, but has never raised the shooting percentages or made scoring a priority. So maybe she's plateau-ed at what is a pretty high level of point guard play.

Herbert-Harrigan has always been an enigmatic player that played with a lot of emotion. I think she's a very talented and athletic player that has a lot of ceiling left, though she'll never be 6'3 or 6'4. In the 3Q, she showed an ability to drive and convert a buck, hit a mid range face up, nailed a three from the top of the key, blocked a few shots, had a nice two man game with Boston and looked like a million bucks. just a matter of whether that's what she brings all the time. I think there is an All Conference player in there.

South Carolina needs the freshmen to make big contributions to return to the championship level. That's undoubtedly true.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
They had quite a few key players not play this game. They'll be middle of the pack imo.
I double checked to see who was missing. USC has a roster of 12 and played 8. Of the 4 not playing was a freshman, Campbell, a Soph Aaron who averaged 6ppg last year. A senior Overbeck, who averaged 6 ppg last year, and a grad transfer from Moorehead State, last name Jeune, who averaged 16 ppg. I dont know much about her and whether she is Pac 12 ready. Not sure these players would be key players, but we will see how the WOT do in their next game vs Virginia.

Reaction Score
I double checked to see who was missing. USC has a roster of 12 and played 8. Of the 4 not playing was a freshman, Campbell, a Soph Aaron who averaged 6ppg last year. A senior Overbeck, who averaged 6 ppg last year, and a grad transfer from Moorehead State, last name Jeune, who averaged 16 ppg. I dont know much about her and whether she is Pac 12 ready. Not sure these players would be key players, but we will see how the WOT do in their next game vs Virginia.
Jeune was in a ton of the WNBA mock drafts, so I'd assume she'll be an impact player for them.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Reaction Score

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
USC had 20 turnovers leading to 23 CSUN points. USC did have 50 rebounds(only 4 offensive), then you look at CSUN shooting of 19 for 78, including 9 for 40 from 3,

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Rutgers beats South Alabama 77-56. CVS wins her 500th career win at Rutgers. Guirantes had 27, Mack had 21, and Davenport had 7, and 2 blocks.

Rutgers is really looking to run more and score more this year. It will be really fun to see when Broughton comes back from injury, and Morris becomes eligible.

Reaction Score
I was at the game, which was played at Rose Hill, and while I was aware that ND was well ahead in that department, I had no idea of that discrepancy.
The day after, a few things come to mind:
- ND was looking to go down low (before Vaughn went out). Fordham's bigs all had four or five fouls.
- Peoples and Gilbert were also driving to the basket and overpowered some of the Ram's smaller guards. Unfortunately, both shot poorly from the line (5-9, 4-9), which needs to improve. (By contrast, Brunelle was 4-4).
- By constrast, save for a few isolation drives or put-backs, Fordham was largely shooting from outside: 38 of their 72 FG attempts were 3's.
- Fordham was fouling the last 90 seconds of the game.

ND will now have to wait and see what the severity of Vaughn's injury is. Mik and Sam Brunelle looked pretty good together in the 2nd quarter when ND outscored the Rams 20-10. After Mik went out, the Rams smartly collapsed on Sam. Luckily, former AAU teammates Gilbert and Peoples picked it up.
Any word of Vaughn? Is she getting an MRI?

Reaction Score
Rutgers is really looking to run more and score more this year. It will be really fun to see when Broughton comes back from injury, and Morris becomes eligible.

How long is Broughton out?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom