OT: - Opening Day 2021 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Opening Day 2021

Reaction Score
I dunno, when I was in my 20's I went to a game and sat in bleachers for 9 innings, it kept going most of the crowd left and I sat by first base until the 18th. It was fun at the time, but now when I think about that game its mostly no way in hell would I stay beyond midnight. The vast majority of the other 35,000 in attendance way back when concur with that assessment.
Baseball plays 162 games, changing a half dozen isn't cheapening & is not affecting anything other than duration of games. Anything that speeds up the game is better than what they've got now. Those lamenting changes - what about the fact that most games took 2-2.5hrs back in the day? Why aren't we clamoring until we get that back?!

Putting a runner on 2nd actually made games longer last year it did when the Yankees and Mets were playing each other. Picking up on pace of play and less mound visits I'm ok with. The crowds who leave also leave football games early, sure there are boring games and its a long season, by all means you gotta early leave early. I wouldnt get season tickets for the reason you stated staying past midnight. When I choose to go I plan my day around it, majority of the time I watch it on TV, I rather save the time and money.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Those lamenting changes - what about the fact that most games took 2-2.5hrs back in the day? Why aren't we clamoring until we get that back?!
Pitchers were mostly fungible assets back then. Before free agency, pay wasn't much more than 2-3x the average professional worker's salary, although plenty of doctors and lawyers made more than Sandy Koufax. It's not that the fans don't clamor for it, it's that owners won't let it happen. When you start paying pitchers 100s of millions, you protect those assets. So, shorter outings, more relievers. Add the lust for analytics and you've got less first ball swinging, more takes, longer counts, longer games.

Pitches per plate appearance:
2019 = 3.93
2010 = 3.82
2000 = 3.75
1990 = 3.61 (first year measured by Baseball-Reference)

So that's .32 more pitches per plate appearance. If the average WHIP is 1.33, then that's 11-12 more pitches per game on each side, so 22-24 more pitches per game, basically like playing well into the bottom of the 10th on a daily basis compared to 30 years ago.

Obviously there's more, such as batters time out of the box, longer between inning breaks for ads, etc. But the economics of the game is a huge part of it.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
NL DH will come for good next year. Manfred held it over the players heads knowing both sides want it, just hoping the players would counteroffer and show their hand early for the CBA negotiations next year
I'm as big of a baseball purist as anyone but the NL DH is long overdue IMO. The image of Ching Ming Wang injuring his foot while running the bases and his career never being the same still stings. With the salaries some of these guys get now, it's not worth the risk. If Cole happens to pitch in an interleague game and has to bat, he shouldn't even bring a bat to the batters box.

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I'm as big of a baseball purist as anyone
No, you're obviously not based on your next thought.

The argument is whether or not NL should adopt the DH. Obviously a DH would have a better OPS than pretty much any pitcher. But it also changes the game. So, by saying they should makes you distinctly not a purist.
but the NL DH is long overdue IMO. The image of Ching Ming Wang injuring his foot while running the bases and his career never being the same still stings. With the salaries some of these guys get now, it's not worth the risk. If Cole happens to pitch in an interleague game and has to bat, he shouldn't even bing a bat to the batters box.
I still laugh at Cashman's whining about this. They're bases. Every player of Ching's generation grew up having to run them.

Reaction Score
I still laugh at Cashman's whining about this. They're bases. Every player of Ching's generation grew up having to run them.
Then pitchers should be hitting at every level. It's crazy to have pitchers stop hitting in high school, all the way through college, through all the minor leagues, and then start again in the pros

Reaction Score
Baseball has its issues- especially the way the head officials have Americanize Football, Basketball, & Hockey- Baseball has a hard time keeping up with the offensive barrage & the faster pace.

With that said though, I still enjoy the hell out of Baseball- it’s always there day after day (expect my Mets the last few days- agh) I even thought the playoffs from last year was the best playoff out of the four major sports played last year.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
No, you're obviously not based on your next thought.

The argument is whether or not NL should adopt the DH. Obviously a DH would have a better OPS than pretty much any pitcher. But it also changes the game. So, by saying they should makes you distinctly not a purist.

I should have said "I have been as big a purist..." but I'm starting to think some things can be changed. The DH being an example.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom