Open Schollie | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Open Schollie

Reaction Score
Considering he had classes I am sure they waited until the end of the semester for medical and the Diarra family to make the decision and announcement.

Probably right. Then again when I had classes I talked to my family regularly. I can't see why he would have had to wait to talk to his family.

Reaction Score
Timing is interesting. Why not sooner? Why now? Is it really news that he wasn't going to be able to play. Sure by itself it could be just coincidence. Everything else considered....
It's time to change your profile picture
F0878825-1640-4D03-93A2-71417B2EB4B0.png

Reaction Score
"All this effort?" We got a guy who was never going to be able to play again to quit voluntarily before we pushed him out. I don't understand the thought that we were going to carry a guy who was never going to be able to play for another year except that we have someone really good in mind.

This really undersells what went on to get to the current point. Sure, they could have pushed him out, forced a transfer where some school would have taken a chance on him. That was the easy route, but certainly not one this staff prefers to take and definitely not in the best interest of the player and the team. There was work involved to get the medical documentation, to secure the scholarship for him, and to get everyone on board. You mess that up, and you risk ruining relationships with your guys.

Reaction Score
This really undersells what went on to get to the current point. Sure, they could have pushed him out, forced a transfer where some school would have taken a chance on him. That was the easy route, but certainly not one this staff prefers to take and definitely not in the best interest of the player and the team. There was work involved to get the medical documentation, to secure the scholarship for him, and to get everyone on board. You mess that up, and you risk ruining relationships with your guys.
Sounds like win-win.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
It's a sad way to end your playing career, but it says a lot about Diarra's character thet he's willing to accept a new role. The comments from his coach at PSA also speak volumes about the way everyone at UCONN has handled the situation. The goodwill that Hurley has established here will benefit the program ten fold with HS and prep coaches.

As for Mamadou, he just became one of my favorite Huskies of all time. His dreams for the future have reluctantly changed for him, but I have no doubt this move will set him up with a bright future in coaching. It's a different dream for him now, but one that will insure him a bright future going forward in the sport he loves. Props to Hurley and everyone at UCONN for making this happen. I'm sure Hurley will do everything possible to help Diarra secure an assistant coaching job after his UCONN career is over. Best of luck to this young man, a true Husky forever.

Reaction Score
Probably right. Then again when I had classes I talked to my family regularly. I can't see why he would have had to wait to talk to his family.

Because he is on a basketball scholarship. There is paperwork that needs to be completed, medical clearance, and I am sure the compliance program needs to be involved with his transition. It isn’t as easy as “hey kid your off the team.” Let the kid concentrate on the reason for why is there - to earn a degree.

Reaction Score
"All this effort?" We got a guy who was never going to be able to play again to quit voluntarily before we pushed him out. I don't understand the thought that we were going to carry a guy who was never going to be able to play for another year except that we have someone really good in mind.

Mamadou had to realize he could not play anymore. At his age who wants to accept that as fact and not try to go one more time?

Reaction Score
Yes, they even locked that record breaking “The Grind” thread after just a couple of days and 24k views. It turned out to be correct.

They may not like the message, but can’t argue with the results.

Many forget who called Andre to UConn. Before there was even smoke

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom