Open Practice | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Open Practice

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Your point for the last week has been that RJ is too slow to run an offense quickly. Why are you changing your tune now?

I haven't changed anything. I think Cole is slow afoot for a PG and lacks vision to make up for it. Only player on roster with forward looking vision I trust is Jackson. I think Gaff and Diggins can push the ball and pace better than Cole. I don't think Diggins will play much this season.

You are the one dancing around it's okay if he's slow because he also doesn't play with urgency and trying to find the nuance there.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'll also add regardless of what I think, Cole is going to play 25-30 mpg and handle that ball a bunch while he is in the game.

and with that, I'm done on the topic.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
That was your takeaway from our discussion last week? That we want slow PGs who don't push the pace and look to attack? I don't care who pushes the pace on the break whether it's RJ, Gaffney, Diggins, or Jackson
Chin's serving up red herrings, just like old times in the CP.

Reaction Score
Do you have any feedback on AA?
Didn't think he stuck out too much. He is very vocal however, I love the way he communicates on both sides of the floor. He changes so many shots at the rim. Hope he can get some offensive game going, especially behind the arc. Looked to me like Samson should take over Akok's role sooner rather than later. That boy is a freak...

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Didn't think he stuck out too much. He is very vocal however, I love the way he communicates on both sides of the floor. He changes so many shots at the rim. Hope he can get some offensive game going, especially behind the arc. Looked to me like Samson should take over Akok's role sooner rather than later. That boy is a freak...

Was pleased to see Sanogo somewhat struggled against Akok, Springs and Johnson after, according to Hurley, performing like a first team All-BE in the two closed scrimmages.

Also read in one of the newspaper articles that Akok and Whaley somewhat neutralized each other offensively.

Finally, the reports of Sanogo snuffing a big time dunk attempt by Jackson was nice to read. Sanogo isn't known for being a high riser and we all know Jackson can jump through the roof. Without seeing where Jackson took off from or how ill advised his attempt was, it's nice to see Sanogo being able to protect the rim while it's being attacked.

Reaction Score
Thx!!

Reaction Score
Thx!!
I was there and I want to add to that. He felt like a coach. He knew where every single player was supposed to be. Even when he was watching the offensive set drills from the sideline, he was communicating and calling out guys out of position or where to go, based on where I was sitting it was easy to hear him talking behind the baseline. He was very impressive vocally. Looked solid defensively and looked for his shot, but certainly stayed within the offense. I'm not sure how much is reasonable to expect out of him, but he seems to know the system inside and out and is very clearly a hard worker. I hope he gets everything he deserves... seems like a great guy to have on your team.

Reaction Score
I haven't changed anything. I think Cole is slow afoot for a PG and lacks vision to make up for it. Only player on roster with forward looking vision I trust is Jackson. I think Gaff and Diggins can push the ball and pace better than Cole. I don't think Diggins will play much this season.

You are the one dancing around it's okay if he's slow because he also doesn't play with urgency and trying to find the nuance there.
When Cole was at Howard, his sophomore year his team was in the top 50 in pace. He played basically 100% of the PG minutes.

Reaction Score
Gonna be interesting to see how Akok Akok responds in live game action... He's a vet... coming off injury, but he's been here before. I think once he gets a few games under his belt he'll step up for us ... he's my prediction for a pleasant surprise by the time March Madness comes around....

Reaction Score
Ok, It was an open practice, yarders are saying that we are deep and there is no alpha on the team, Can we not wait till the start of the BE to determine where we are as a team? I think, if I'm not mistaken that is why the majority of top tier D1 schools play in to their conference start is to determine where they stand and to correct what is needed going into conference play. I think we will know where we stand as a team after B4A. With that being said we are a very scary team to play against. ! Can't wait till Tuesday.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I'll ask a question another way that has already been asked in this thread--For those who saw the scrimmage--How was AA moving within the flow of the practice/scrimmage? Is he showing signs of improved and confident mobility/physicality that fans are hoping for?? Don't care about points scored at this point.
He did not look limited and has touch from outside.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
That SJ drive and layup was not normal for a kid his age. I'm too excited about him.

Looked like a pterodactyl the way he spread his wings. Two dribbles got him from three point line on the wing to a baseline reverse layup.

Reaction Score
Ajax stroke is still painful to watch.
Very, very difficult (if not impossible) to restructure a shot fully in one off-season. If he's more confident and smoother motion with tweaked shot, then he can make a reasonable % (enough for people to guard him out there). That's all we really need considering the rest of his game.

Reaction Score
Very, very difficult (if not impossible) to restructure a shot fully in one off-season. If he's more confident and smoother motion with tweaked shot, then he can make a reasonable % (enough for people to guard him out there). That's all we really need considering the rest of his game.

His form is still bad, but definitely more one motion, and he doesn't have such a weird hitch in his shooting wrist. If he's gotten enough reps up, it could result in significantly better %s... big "if" though.

Reaction Score
Since he shoots foul shots at a good percentage, I wonder if he got some screens, if that would improve his percentage. Not trying he can ever be a Polley, but with getting an open look via good screening, it would be interesting if the percentage would increase.

But, if his shooting form is bad, that might be the real problem and not so much the open looks.

Maybe, Hurley nailed it in saying if he ups his game in all other aspects, the shooting might naturally improve.

Time will tell in game situations against tough competition.

Reaction Score
#2 overall folks
bil-mkg-nba.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01