Open Practice | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Open Practice

Reaction Score
Some other general takeaways:

-I really liked how Gaffney pushed the pace off of defensive rebounds, looking for fast break opportunities
-Diggins looked really good especially considering he’s apparently missed a bunch of time with a bum knee. Looked comfy and in control running offense most of the time and also played pretty good tight 3/4 court D
-Whaley looked strong on D (no surprise) but was very quiet on offense
-AJ was a beast on D, pushed pace well, made some really great dishes in the paint that were mishandled by the receiver at times
-Sanogo is gonna be a handful for opponents
I agree but with Diggins both Hurley and Moore were really coaching him hard on defense. He missed a few rotations and it led to an open shot. Also he gambled a few times an was called for fouls. It’s understandable from the time he has missed. Almost every timeout Moore was in his ear

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Total dick comment by RJ saying blue team should he beating white team.

"That's the depth that we have on our team," said Cole when asked about the White team winning. "That goes to show we're a very talented team and it's not always going to be the Blue team beating the White team, as much as we should be beating them. They're talented as well. It's not going to be a cakewalk."

Reaction Score
All in all, pretty much what you want to see, imo. We know what the veterans are, for better and worse. The potential of the younger guys is so apparent. They’re fearless and talented, and the recruiting is establishing itself in exactly the way you want in this process. The underclassmen are showing up, competing, and forcing everyone to earn their minutes. Most importantly, everyone was healthy enough to go.

Enjoy the season!

Reaction Score

"That's the depth that we have on our team," said Cole when asked about the White team winning. "That goes to show we're a very talented team and it's not always going to be the Blue team beating the White team, as much as we should be beating them. They're talented as well. It's not going to be a cakewalk."

So do you no longer like Cole's confidence? I love seeing that comment, I want the starters to think they're the best players on the team and I want the backups to think they're better and fight for a spot too

Need ball handling and shooting. I'm stuck with no way Cole or Sanogo are not in starting line up. I'm not the biggest Cole fan due to his lack of athleticism and size but he can shoot, and has Hurley's confidence. I wish there was a better known solution at the PG but there isn't someone who is a bit bigger and faster, so I can live with Cole.

Reaction Score

Seemed honest to me. Starters should typically beat the bench.

Reaction Score
In a very predictable way, and without reading too much into it, it’s not a good sign. We knew we had a roster full of good, Big East players, but the fear was we didn’t have players who would step up and lead us to the second weekend. And what we saw tonight is that what look to be the starters were no better than the bench.

The roll players and the depth are all there. Who wants to be the Huskies one or two alpha dogs?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
In a very predictable way, and without reading too much into it, it’s not a good sign. We knew we had a roster full of good, Big East players, but the fear was we didn’t have players who would step up and lead us to the second weekend. And what we saw tonight is that what look to be the starters were no better than the bench.

The roll players and the depth are all there. Who wants to be the Huskies one or two alpha dogs?

Sounds like Jackson is closest to taking that step and good news is he has room and time to hone that skill.
Out of the five blue players Sanogo is really only player whose ceiling we don't have a solid track record - Cole, Pulley. Martin and Whaley are all near their full abilities. Shouldn't 3xoect big leaps from any of them.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Seemed honest to me. Starters should typically beat the bench.

Sure, but they didn't. Didn't come close and there's a strong probability at least one if those white shirt players will be starting by years end.

Sounds like sour grapes.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score

I think it's pretty obvious those leaders will be Jackson and Sanogo. Sanogo just didn't shoot well today.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Overall disappointing night for starters in blue. DH at one point said it best "Blue you're old and stale like a gross stale bagel." Cole was a non factor throughout and didn't attempt anything outside.............
Andre Jackson looked outstanding, great facilitator and looks improved from outside. Based Off scrimmage I'd much rather him with the ball than Cole facilitating offense. .................
Some other general takeaways:

-I really liked how Gaffney pushed the pace off of defensive rebounds, looking for fast break opportunities
-
Diggins looked really good especially considering he’s apparently missed a bunch of time with a bum knee. Looked comfy and in control running offense most of the time and also played pretty good tight 3/4 court D
-Whaley looked strong on D (no surprise) but was very quiet on offense
-AJ was a beast on D, pushed pace well, made some really great dishes in the paint that were mishandled by the receiver at times

This is bummer feedback for @navery12 , @husky429 , @Psolo12 and a few others who prefer slower point guards with average vision and passing ability.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Looks like Hawkins is going to get every opportunity to play through mistakes and get minutes.

From Borges write up: “He makes mistakes on the backboard, some defensive mistakes,” Hurley said. “But he is in attack mode ... we’re gonna need a lot from him.”

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
You’re trying too hard.

Not really. They were a group chirping last week that a PG who pushes the pace and looks to attack in transition isn't desirable.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Also liked reading it seemed like Martin was efficient around the rim finishing. If he is more confident and can finish better around the rim, that's 4-5 ppg which was missing last year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom