Open Practice | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Open Practice

Reaction Score
72 million and nearly 10 years in the league. I'd call that a win.

If Michael Kidd-Gilchrist could make it work so can Andre.

I'm well aware that MKG made decent money in the league. That's not what we're talking about--we're talking about if Andre will learn to shoot well despite hit crappy form. You said MKG "could make it work." No, he didn't make it work. He was one of the worst league shooters in the league.

He was also significantly bigger and more offensively gifted scoring the ball than Andre, so you're comparing apples to oranges here.

Reaction Score
His form is still bad, but definitely more one motion, and he doesn't have such a weird hitch in his shooting wrist. If he's gotten enough reps up, it could result in significantly better %s... big "if" though.
Fully aware that scrimmage doesnt = game, but from that practice sample, all signs point towards pretty good chance of tangible improvements in AJ shooting.

Reaction Score
I have watched a couple of Philly games. Drummond contributes whenever he is on the court. He also does little things like setting a very large screen.

Reaction Score
None of the news coming out of pre-season is helping with the nagging feeling that we are still going to have those long stretches where we can't put the ball in the hoop. Our D is going to have to live up to the hype.
If we adopt the "punisher" identity Hurley has kind of hinted at, I think we will at least be able to get to the line in these stretches. Adama and an aggressive Jackson are going to draw fouls...and our offensive rebounders like Whaley should as well.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Sure, but they didn't. Didn't come close and there's a strong probability at least one if those white shirt players will be starting by years end.

Sounds like sour grapes.
Bulletin board material for the bench.

May the bench rotate...

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Protecting the ball, sinking free throws, and making defense stops ensures that the other team cannot catch up.

During successful seasons, UConn reveals a history of winning games by having the other team score fewer points, especially as the season moves forward, during which time somebody's shooting picks up.

None of which is meant to contradict what's written below.
None of the news coming out of pre-season is helping with the nagging feeling that we are still going to have those long stretches where we can't put the ball in the hoop. Our D is going to have to live up to the hype.

Reaction Score
Those concerns are valid. The defense is legit, they’re a top 10-15 type of unit. That will keep them in games and win them gamess in conference play. We know what to expect from the front court but they need good guard play when things start getting tight. I keep looking at the combo of Andre Jackson, Gaff, and Hawkins and thinking they need them to breakout. For them to compete at the top of the league, they need like two of those guys to score consistently and provide efficient guard play.

Reaction Score
Protecting the ball, sinking free throws, and making defense stops ensures that the other team cannot catch up.

During successful seasons, UConn reveals a history of winning games by having the other team score fewer points, especially as the season moves forward, during which time somebody's shooting picks up.

None of which is meant to contradict what's written below.

During successful seasons UConn also had a guy that was just better than the guy who was guarding him and could put the ball in the bucket when he needed to. I'm hopeful Jackson's improvement is real and he's not just going to be a guy who "sees the court well" and he starts to actually attack the bucket, and I certainly hope Hawkins is the real deal. But I have the same gut feeling as Waquoit heading into the season.

A kid like Karaban - who's probably not going to be a lottery pick but is big and really skilled - is going to be a godsend.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
Adama slimmed down significantly. Can see the difference in his face.

Reaction Score
Those concerns are valid. The defense is legit, they’re a top 10-15 type of unit. That will keep them in games and win them gamess in conference play. We know what to expect from the front court but they need good guard play when things start getting tight. I keep looking at the combo of Andre Jackson, Gaff, and Hawkins and thinking they need them to breakout. For them to compete at the top of the league, they need like two of those guys to score consistently and provide efficient guard play.

This is why, no matter what else happens this year, I'm confident AJ will be a 25-30 mpg guy(pending fouls). Our biggest weakness is his biggest strength - creativity and passing. And his defensive ability is unique as well.

I think AJax could have one of the weirdest stat lines of all time this year.

8 pts, 5 reb, 4 assists, 2 steals, 2 blocks - something like that

Reaction Score
My fear is how Hurley responds to our offensive woes.

I want him to frantically push the pace, not just transition offense, but hunting for the first best shot. Accept turnovers to encourage offense.

Instead I see him slowing down and “protecting” the ball. Which is going to put a lot more pressure on our defense and may cause our offense to play tighter.

They need the freedom to make aggressive mistakes IMO.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
After watching some of his high school tape, Johnson looked to be incredibly athletic for his size. And the real good news, he looked just as good in the scrimmage tape I saw. This is freak #3.

That's basically his calling card. It's like really front and center when you see him play. Like really obvious.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

If that's a nagging feeling, do I dare ask what is a sinking feeling for you about this team?

Reaction Score
This is why, no matter what else happens this year, I'm confident AJ will be a 25-30 mpg guy(pending fouls). Our biggest weakness is his biggest strength - creativity and passing. And his defensive ability is unique as well.

I think AJax could have one of the weirdest stat lines of all time this year.

8 pts, 5 reb, 4 assists, 2 steals, 2 blocks - something like that
FWIW.. I'm not sure the refs could figure out AJ's athleticism last year. On some of the fouls called-- it seemed like a quick whistle instead of really good D.. Not always-but more often than not

Reaction Score
If that's a nagging feeling, do I dare ask what is a sinking feeling for you about this team?
To overcome cold perimeter shooting, we should lean on running off of turnovers and long rebounds. Nothing cures the icicle ills more than a layup or dunk in transition. Let's hope our players can do it and aren't held back from doing so.

Reaction Score
If we adopt the "punisher" identity Hurley has kind of hinted at, I think we will at least be able to get to the line in these stretches. Adama and an aggressive Jackson are going to draw fouls...and our offensive rebounders like Whaley should as well.
Don’t forget about Gaffney. He has an impressive slashing ability when he turns it on. Think the Maryland game.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Don’t forget about Gaffney. He has an impressive slashing ability when he turns it on. Think the Maryland game.
I feel like he may be the most forgotten. We don’t hear much about him. I don’t know what to expect, except that I haven’t heard anything to warrant high expectations, so I am keeping mine in check for him.

Reaction Score
I feel like he may be the most forgotten. We don’t hear much about him. I don’t know what to expect, except that I haven’t heard anything to warrant high expectations, so I am keeping mine in check for him.
He needs to turn it up a notch.. He should be hearing the footsteps from the younger guys who want his PT.

Hope he can because it would really strengthen our roster/team.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think we have a good bunch of guys ready to play hard and play team ball. It's just that occasional lid on the hoop. I'd like to see someone make a Giffey-style leap from the arc. That would go a long way.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Loved reading he didn't stand out when he went 5-5 from the line and his team won by 10.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Loved reading he didn't stand out when he went 5-5 from the line and his team won by 10.
I’m not talking about the scrimmage or whatever it was. It sounds like Hawkins is the presumptive starter at this point and I haven’t heard much about Gaffney.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I’m not talking about the scrimmage or whatever it was. It sounds like Hawkins is the presumptive starter at this point and I haven’t heard much about Gaffney.

Agree Hawkins and Cole will start and Gaff will come off the bench for one of them depending on game situation.

Reaction Score
Ajax stroke is still painful to watch.
Old coach told his players hit,, hang and release.. No hang at the time top of his shot. Never be a good shooter until square up and HHR is there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom