Open Practice vs Report Card | The Boneyard

Open Practice vs Report Card

Reaction Score
Made the trip up to catch a glimpse of this ranked squad for myself.
Some notes:
-Got there early at 5pm, only player shooting before the practice: I. Whaley. His shot was going in. Like a lot in. Saw him miss 1 of 20 from the 3 point mark.
-The warm up drills are intense intense intense. Coach Hurley is dropping F bombs like it's Hiroshima. Once the practice starts, you're in his world.
-Maybe 5-10 students showed up. I don't blame them, they showed up for First Night strong.
-Hawkins shot is indeed smoother than a baby's bottom. Absolutely pure. He's a potentially a starter now, 100% starter end of season. His passing proved better than advertised.
-Rasool was 100 percent, and he looked much better than I expected. He looked like he belonged. Definitely the class clown of the team, but when it's go time, he brings his lunch pale. Communicates effectively. Loved his defense.
-Jackson 3 pt ball still seems a little weird. But his misses are straight on. He made his three's at a pretty good clip, and even made one under pressure with the shot clock winding down. The bigger story was him attacking the basket relentlessly. Andre also looks skinnier; he must have shot the ball so much during the summer he lost 10-15 lbs doing so. He was the best player at practice today - clear leader of the team.
Jackson pump fakes on the wing, drives hard and dishes to an open Samson, as Jackson releases his pass he yells "Shoot that Bish". Drills it*
-Coach Murray has a soft voice on the court when you compare it to the likes of Hurley/Kimani/Moore. Connect very well with Samson interesting enough.
-Hurley was overall more animated during this practice than he is during most games. Every second of the practice is so valuable to him. There's always a teaching moment, and always room for improvement.
Hurley: "Blue team, you look stale and old out there"
-Tyler Polley also a healthy go. Struggled a few times on D, but man, was he a weapon on offense. His three ball proved invaluable. He's going to get a lot of minutes, since it's one of our weaker spots.
-Corey Floyd Jr, please stand up! Though rumors have speculated he'll be red shirting this year, that kid earned his sport on the court tonight. He did not look or play like he was 17 years old. He played with maturity and grit. Very very good defender, with a great shooting stroke. Loved his game, it would be a treat if he didn't redshirt this year.
-The bigs cannabalized each other tonight. Their defensive tenacity down-low outshined their offense. The one big who did separate himself a little; Samson Johnson. He went 2/2 from 3 and had some nice footwork downtown. What a get by the staff.
-Cole dislocated his finger halfway through the practice. He had it popped back in by the team doctor and subbed right back into the game. I'm telling you, these practices are like nothing you could possibly imagine. It's war out there.
Hurley after Waley misses a 3pt shot: "Isaiah you checked out a while ago"
-
Richie Springs GOES for EVERY rebound. Liked his hustle, he will find some freshman minutes this season.
-Tyrese Martin had a good night, picked up right where he left off. Seemed like best perimeter defender out there.
-Hurley treats his assistant coaches just like his players at times.
Hurley: "Come on Luke, I need better from you Luke!!"
Hurley after Gaffney misses a 3pt shot: "Wow we suck at shooting"

At the end of practice, the coaches huddled up for15 mins to talk about what happened ect..
My biggest impression: we are deep. There will be no 1 star. We're going to win this big east season as a team, and it's going to be beautiful.

Over and out

RC

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Probably happiest to see Martin doing well against a white team with long, athletic defenders.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
"dropping F bombs like its Hiroshima..."

Oprah Winfrey Omg GIF

Reaction Score
Thanks for the report card, Report Card. Hoping for more of these throughout the season. Based on your report there are a lot of positives but what did you see as a glaring "need to improve"? How do the other coaches respond to Hurley when he says some of the things he says to them? I know its just practice and especially in front of fans so there may be some extra fluff from Hurley/coaches/players but no one outside of beat reporters and coaches have seen this team so would love to know the opinion of a fan.

Reaction Score
Here’s my observation and prediction: Report Card upping his game big time from last season. Consistent effort will lead to Chief dropping his briefs.
Report Card had a down year last season but can’t blame him because of the uncertainty the pandemic caused. I too, expect a bounce back year for Report Card.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the report card, Report Card. Hoping for more of these throughout the season. Based on your report there are a lot of positives but what did you see as a glaring "need to improve"? How do the other coaches respond to Hurley when he says some of the things he says to them? I know its just practice and especially in front of fans so there may be some extra fluff from Hurley/coaches/players but no one outside of beat reporters and coaches have seen this team so would love to know the opinion of a fan.
The assistant coaches take it in stride, just like the players do. It’s all positive. Very intense but positive; no one’s getting humiliated out there. Coach just wants everyone to up there game, including the equipment managers. As the kids say, it’s a vibe!
As for glaring improvements, there was nothing bad enough to comment on.
That would be unwise of me to nitpick one practice and scream the roof is falling on a particular player/trend. Did I expect more from Gaffney? Sure.

Reaction Score
Went to open practice. I focused on the newbies.
1. Sool has a lot of swagger. Definitely has the tools to be a great floor general. Reminds me of AJ Price.
2. Floyd has a lot of grit. Does not play like he is 17. He is not afraid to attack the rim against the bigs.
3. Samson is a threat from deep and made a slashing move to the rim which was nice. I know he had at least one block.
4. Hawkins will be a starter by mid season. He has a smooth stroke and can get up. Committed some stupid fouls and forced a few shots. That will change. Reminds me of a young Ray Allen.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Best news (but not surprised) to hear that the competition and intensity is fierce. Outworking your opponent and not giving in (an attitude and a demonstration of power in action) is essential to winning. We have the talent. Add discipline and teamwork (like Huskies) and you have a very very formidable group of young men that opponents are going to dread playing. I can't wait for the season to start and thanks for this Report Card!

Reaction Score
Best news (but not surprised) to hear that the competition and intensity is fierce. Outworking your opponent and not giving in (an attitude and a demonstration of power in action) is essential to winning. We have the talent. Add discipline and teamwork (like Huskies) and you have a very very formidable group of young men that opponents are going to dread playing. I can't wait for the season to start and thanks for this Report Card!
Are you Tony Robbins?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member