OOC Scheduling philosophy going forward | The Boneyard

OOC Scheduling philosophy going forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I know a lot of us were disappointed that we didn't get a big OOC home game. With that said, here is what I think our OOC scheduling philosophy should be with the 11 OOC games a year we get.

3-game MTE Event
Big 12/Big East challenge game
Gavitt game
Syracuse at MSG
Yearly home and homes with Pitt and BC
Three local cupcakes (preferably Yale, Harvard, Princeton)

Hopefully, we could parlay the home and homes with Pitt and BC into yearly series in football.

Reaction Score
I know a lot of us were disappointed that we didn't get a big OOC home game. With that said, here is what I think our OOC scheduling philosophy should be with the 11 OOC games a year we get.

3-game MTE Event
Gavitt game
Syracuse at MSG

Hopefully, we could parlay the home and homes with Pitt and BC into yearly series in football.
Pitt and BC are local cupcakes.

Reaction Score

3-game MTE Event
Gavitt game
Syracuse at MSG

Since when are Harvard, Yale and Princeton cupcakes?

Reaction Score

3-game MTE Event
Gavitt game
Syracuse at MSG

Is this just an example for one season, or something you would like to see every year? I think it would get quite boring to see Pitt, BC and 'Cuse every year. Playing 'Cuse every 3 years or so would be cool.

Reaction Score
Pitt and BC? lol

We need to get back into the national quasi-rivalries that have produced some of our most memorable OOC games: Florida, Gonzaga, Texas, etc.

Have to have at least one of those every year.

And, yes, fewer of the Coppin State type of cupcakes and more of the local teams who at least have a prayer of having some kind of connection to our fanbase.

Reaction Score
Since when are Harvard, Yale and Princeton cupcakes?
Very good point.

I get it, playing cupcakes sucks, but every team plays the CCSUs and Coppin States of the world.

We have too many cupcakes this year, but we still need three real ones. Good luck finding one team that does not play at least three of these games, except for maybe Gonzaga who needs to fill their OOC to counterbalance their weak WCC schedule.

Reaction Score

3-game MTE Event
Gavitt game
Syracuse at MSG

This is almost the perfect setup, except instead of a yearly home and home with Pitt and BC, I'd save these spots for 1: a new home and home series every other year and 2: a higher end mid-major like a good A10 school. A higher end mid-major school is a perfect last OOC game to get a final tune-up before conference play.

Reaction Score
Basically a repeat of this year's schedule with some minor improvements to the cupcakes

3 game MTE
Big 12
Gavitt
1 A10 Game (just rotate games between St Bonaventure, Dayton, VCU, Richmond, throw URI a bone)
Rotate an old BE team at MSG (Cuse/BC/Pitt/whoever else)
2 regional non-cupcakes (RPI 100-150ish like Yale, UVM, Harvard)
2 regional cupcakes

Reaction Score

3-game MTE Event
Gavitt game
Syracuse at MSG

Pitt and BC would not necessarily be gimme games, and would be bad losses. BC beat Duke at Conte Forum a year or so ago on a barrage of 3 pointers.

Yale's coach gets a lot out of his players and they are no cupcakes and have recruited decently of late. Harvard and Amaker is no pushover.

Maybe play 2 of these 4 in a season, at most.

Not mentioned, but I would not like a matchup with Holy Cross and their slowdown style. Us older Yarders may remember how HC used to beat even good Husky teams in the pre and post-Kimball/Bialosuknia eras.

ConnZag3

NCAA Hoops Connoisseur
Reaction Score
Now that Gonzaga is reviving their Battle in Seattle game this year since the dump that was KeyArena has been remodeled into Climate Pledge Arena where the Kraken are going to play, we should schedule a neutral site 2 year deal with them like we had back in the late 00's when Seattle hosted one year and the Garden in Boston the other year. Could do Barclays or MSG for the east site too...just not Newark again!

Make it a men's and women's DH too since Gonzaga has had a top 20 women's program the last few years too.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
For reference, here is Villanova's OOC schedule this year

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210915-224818.png
    Screenshot_20210915-224818.png
    787.4 KB · Views: 126
Reaction Score
We want marque home national games, not regional. West Coast, TX, FL, UNC, SEC, Big Ten elite teams.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For reference, here is Villanova's OOC schedule this year

Good Guys:
  • CCSU - #342
  • Coppin - #324
  • LIU - #181
  • Binghamton - #303
  • Auburn - #23
  • Michigan State - #25/Loyola Chicago - #36
  • Battle 4 Atlantis - ????
  • Maryland ES - #358
  • Grambling State - #261
  • West Virginia - #35
  • St. Bonnies - #15
'Nova:
  • Mt. St. Mary's - #38
  • UCLA - #2
  • Howard - #308
  • Tenn - #14
  • UNC - #20 / Purdue - #7
  • LaSalle - #240
  • Penn - #183
  • USJ - #234
  • Syracuse - #67
  • Baylor - #9
  • Temple - #129
Yeah, their OOC schedule puts ours to shame. We aren't on that level yet, but I would like to see those 250+ ranked teams on our schedule turn into 50-150 if we can.

We aren't ready to have 5 top-25 OOC games like Nova. I like the # of high quality teams we have. But the bottom dwellers of D1 are just boring to play against.

Reaction Score
Good Guys:
  • CCSU - #342
  • Coppin - #324
  • LIU - #181
  • Binghamton - #303
  • Auburn - #23
  • Michigan State - #25/Loyola Chicago - #36
  • Battle 4 Atlantis - ????
  • Maryland ES - #358
  • Grambling State - #261
  • West Virginia - #35
  • St. Bonnies - #15
'Nova:
  • Mt. St. Mary's - #38
  • UCLA - #2
  • Howard - #308
  • Tenn - #14
  • UNC - #20 / Purdue - #7
  • LaSalle - #240
  • Penn - #183
  • USJ - #234
  • Syracuse - #67
  • Baylor - #9
  • Temple - #129
Yeah, their OOC schedule puts ours to shame. We aren't on that level yet, but I would like to see those 250+ ranked teams on our schedule turn into 50-150 if we can.

We aren't ready to have 5 top-25 OOC games like Nova. I like the # of high quality teams we have. But the bottom dwellers of D1 are just boring to play against.
I agree, but the point most of the season ticket holders are making doesn't regard the entire schedule, it relates to the quality of Home OOC games. Jim played some tune-up cupcakes too, but he always showed the season ticket holders respect by scheduling National elite opponents at home. Dave and Danny appear to be totally tone deaf on the subject. Maybe they should have to put down $10k a piece and watch these lower caliber teams for hours?

Reaction Score
We need one game against one of those Midwest Iowa teams that sinks 45+ 30 pointers in the tournament

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
I'd love to see some rotating home and homes with good teams involved. Should be able to set one up with any of a number of teams we have history with: Cincinnati, Memphis, Louisville, Notre Dame, Pittsburgh, West Virginia, etc. We've had some nice series in the past with Florida, Auburn, or other big name schools.

But I agree with the general feeling that the number of good teams is alright. The bigger problem is the number of sub-300 teams and that those are all at home games. Replace those with teams in the 150 range and the schedule is nicer. Even though it may not be a marquee matchup, I'd rather see a game against an Ivy League school or an MVC school or something than a bottom of D1 school.

Reaction Score
Basically a repeat of this year's schedule with some minor improvements to the cupcakes

3 game MTE
Big 12
Gavitt
1 A10 Game (just rotate games between St Bonaventure, Dayton, VCU, Richmond, throw URI a bone)
Rotate an old BE team at MSG (Cuse/BC/Pitt/whoever else)
2 regional non-cupcakes (RPI 100-150ish like Yale, UVM, Harvard)
2 regional cupcakes
if we aren't in a MTE we need to to schedule a series of H/H games with a blue blood like we did w/ UF. need a blueblood game every year that isn't linked to a conference challenge.

Reaction Score
Fun fact: We are now dead last in SoS according to KenPom.

I imagine that will change once this tournament starts. I could see somewhat of an argument if they scheduled these easy games because they knew how grueling the big east would be this year but still wish we had traded one of these first few games for a better OOC opponent.

Reaction Score
So after the Bahamas we play MD Eastern Shore and Grambling. Lets face it guys, this schedule is a joke.

Reaction Score
At least one major opponent would have been good. The rest of the field at Atlantis is going to already be battle tested... The first game may be a bit of a wakeup call to the team. If they can't get into that next level gear quickly in the first game, it could cause issues. (luckily they've been playing hard and not taking it easy against the cupcakes... but it's still a different animal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom