ONO | Page 3 | The Boneyard

ONO

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
No one said bench Megan but we need her to sit at times to get ONO in. The upside for defense & rebounding far outweighs Megan’s contributions on offense. Again, in order for Lou & Pheesa to be at their best, which is what we need to win it all, Pheesa has to stay out of foul trouble & Lou needs to be able to run. ONO solves both problems.
We don’t have sit just Megan, we could and should sit CW who is scoring and rebounding less than Meg.

Reaction Score
I figure that this year we don't need to think about ONO replacing one of the starters. If she actually starts to "get it" consistently, then maybe she can be used in the "spark off the bench" role. In other words, put her in even if a starter isn't in foul trouble, to change the look of the team and alter our opportunities on offense and defense.

It won't work against any team - ONO still has a lot to learn and for now has a few liabilities - but it could work against some.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Geno suggests ONO isn't fond of practices. Hope she feels better about weight room.
Suggests? He literally said to Rebecca after the game, "For somebody who hates to practice as much as she does, she was great tonight."

With the emphasis that Geno puts on practice habits, it should be no mystery why Olivia doesn't play more.

Reaction Score
Suggests? He literally said to Rebecca after the game, "For somebody who hates to practice as much as she does, she was great tonight."

With the emphasis that Geno puts on practice habits, it should be no mystery why Olivia doesn't play more.

the problem is Geno says that as badly as she looks in practice she plays far better in the actual games so apparently the adage that if you practice poorly you play poorly in games doesn't apply to her...........

Reaction Score
Many great observations. Tall players get into bad habits in HS where they reach instead of jump and tend to hold the ball above their head too much. That kills them for a while in college against players og like size, The thing I see many ignoring is that Geno ALWAYS mentions her lack of practice effort, That needs to change for her to get more playing time and improve. I'm sure she feels she is working hard and likely is. Just not UConn hard :rolleyes:

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
the problem is Geno says that as badly as she looks in practice she plays far better in the actual games so apparently the adage that if you practice poorly you play poorly in games doesn't apply to her......

I don't see this as hypocritical, but rather being caught in a dilemma. The stated goal has been perfection (really excellence in the pursuit of perfection), which requires practicing the right way. Usually, that would coincide with winning but there are times when it doesn't. Auriemma has stated he would rather lose than reward bad habits (paraphrasing), and at times he has coached that way. At times he hasn't, as when he subs ONO in. However, he played neither ONO nor Stevens as much as he might have, given their performances in certain games. That to me signals he is caught between conflicting goals at times and is trying to reach the right compromise between them. If he simply was abandoning his adage as you imply he would have played ONO even more in the SC game.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Geno makes the critical point that unless you practice well and consistently, you cannot play consistently well in games (especially those that matter) and the foundation for improvement is fragile. You can have good games but you will never know that prior to the game and whether it lasts through the adversity of a game where things don't always go your way.

Also, just as a matter of logistics, how can a coach say practice is important and when a player does not practice well, their minutes are the same. How does that carry over to the team and the practice habits of the team?

We have depth and size issues so it is hard to be completely consistent on this issue but Geno tries. :D

Reaction Score
I don't see this as hypocritical, but rather being caught in a dilemma. The stated goal has been perfection (really excellence in the pursuit of perfection), which requires practicing the right way. Usually, that would coincide with winning but there are times when it doesn't. Auriemma has stated he would rather lose than reward bad habits (paraphrasing), and at times he has coached that way. At times he hasn't, as when he subs ONO in. However, he played neither ONO nor Stevens as much as he might have, given their performances in certain games. That to me signals he is caught between conflicting goals at times and is trying to reach the right compromise between them. If he simply was abandoning his adage as you imply he would have played ONO even more in the SC game.

I agree with your point........................I'd say Geno is exaggerating a bit about the quality of ONO's practices otherwise she'd play less then she does now................there are some players that just play better in games just as there are players that only shine on the practice court.............

Reaction Score
It's nice to see so many agreeing on her progress and potential. She'll be fun to watch as a player, personality, and (maybe later?) WNBA professional...like so many who've played for the Huskies.

Go ONO! :)

Reaction Score
I'll be happy if she helps get us to the final four and then substituting in spots to give some of the starters and rest in the (hopefully) final two tournament games.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Some good points Scoop. Like a lot of bigs, ONO is kind of a victim of her own height. Looking at some of her HS video, not only did she miss most of a season with the knee injury but because of a lack of size to play against, she picked up a few common bad habits that need to be shed. Especially not getting extended on her post shots. Big kids just won't do it until they have to and it's hard to focus on in the middle of game action. It takes a lot of practice reps which I'm sure she'll get. But she's got a ton of upside, she's actually got quick feet and hands but she just doesn't yet know how to take advantage of them. She understands the offense well, is a pretty good passer for a big, and rebounds well and keeps the ball high and finds her outlet quickly. The game is starting to slow down for her and she's going to be a load next year.

Thanks BobbyJ, excellent observations. Especially the lack of size to play against in HS. She’ll get use to playing against players her height or taller. That’s not an adjustment that happens overnight. She must abandon the “fly swatting “ technique to minimize her fouls, thus extending her minutes of availability during a game.

If she’s going to promote to starter next year, she’s got to stay on the floor. She can’t help the team from the bench with foul trouble.

You also cannot be aggressive on defense if you’re in foul trouble. That’s how/why ND was able to defeat them in the FF last year. Several starters had 4 fouls late in the game. ND knew that and began driving the lane and attacking the basket. UConn could not aggressively challenge those drives for fear of a starter fouling out. Several other factors played a role in that defeat including a weak bench, and the amount of time Azure Stevens spent on it in the second half.

Reaction Score
We don’t have sit just Megan, we could and should sit CW who is scoring and rebounding less than Meg.
Why do we need to focus on sitting one particular player? Depending on the competition and flow of the game, every starter could use a rest. Certainly MW and CW may in some games use 5+ minutes on the bench (I.e. similar to the boost ONO gave in 3rd Q of SC game).

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I agree with your point....I'd say Geno is exaggerating a bit about the quality of ONO's practices otherwise she'd play less then she does now......there are some players that just play better in games just as there are players that only shine on the practice court...
Charlie, in his his last few post game interviews (and I think his Justine show) that is what Geno even said- she seems to “get it” in the games where she struggles in her practices so maybe he said he just accepts it (I am paraphrasing). To be clear, It is not about effort in practice, it was about understanding roles on the floor, finishing around the basket, communicating with teammates etc.
He seems to be ok with it as long as it continues in the games.

Reaction Score
So, what she is being taught is being demonstrated in the actual games rather than in practice,

As the comedian was wont to say, "IS THAT SO WRONG?"

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I said the same thing in the BA Award thread. In retrospect I'm inclined to say: It ain't over until the rotund lady sings---meaning; ONO has a long way to go to be Div 1 ready. She did play a very very very good game against SC. Also, it is my impression that ONO plays her best basketball with the best (the 5) she reverts it appear with the bench players--she just doesn't fit with that group. She needs to work with the 5 and get hard passess, bonce passes, high passes, and used them to score. He has the BIG GIRL problem all B.G.'s have as they start: 1. don't put the ball on the floor (tiny tots pick them off) 2. Rebound and hold high or tight to the chest (someone will always want to take it from you 3. Don't rush your put backs--you are 100 percent accurate when you move a bit slower. Olivia may be the difference in winning it all or not even the Elite 8.
Nice post. "Tiny tots." Love it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom