Ono??? I hope Geno knows what he is doing. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ono??? I hope Geno knows what he is doing.

Reaction Score
I'm going to give Geno the benefit of the doubt... he's earned it, of course. But benching Ono the way he did tonight could completely deflate her... or, as I hope, motivate her to work harder and get better. Fingers crossed. She's way too talented to be the non-factor she was tonight (and her last couple of games were not that good, either.) Kids... smh.... :)
I think we all know that he knows what he is doing. It was Olivia's play ( or lack of it ) that caused her benching.

Reaction Score
About the middle of her career, I hoped that Lou would add a jump hook to her arsenal. I really want to see Liv develop one. She can dial up Stewie, Tina, or Sylvia for advice.
I've said this many times. I'm surprised her own coaching staff hasn't been able to teach her this shot with both hands. It's not difficult to learn.

Reaction Score
I've said this many times. I'm surprised her own coaching staff hasn't been able to teach her this shot with both hands. It's not difficult to learn.
What surprises me is the amateurish nature of her shots from beyond 8 feet. She looks like there is no chance. Like she doesn't know what a basketball is. Like she has never done that in her life. Not even when she was 10.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I'm going to give Geno the benefit of the doubt... he's earned it, of course. But benching Ono the way he did tonight could completely deflate her... or, as I hope, motivate her to work harder and get better. Fingers crossed. She's way too talented to be the non-factor she was tonight (and her last couple of games were not that good, either.) Kids... smh.... :)
I think it is very big of you to give Geno the benefit of a doubt. I think that the odds are very good that he knows what he is doing. He DOES have something of a track record.

Reaction Score
She needs to get rid of that falling away jump shot. She's 6-5, she needs to go up strong, and draw some fouls.
Her body type against strong opponents isn't suited currently to her banging with them. As she gets stronger each year, she will become be a very dominant player against all types by her senior year. If this was the final four I don't think Geno takes her out. Her defense and rebounding are crucial for the huskies against good teams, any offense is gravy. It was an even game with her in the game even though she didn't offer any offense.

JBK

Reaction Score
I think Liv sat because Geno was looking for some offense and she was not helping in that area. Her defense was fine. Same story for Aubrey.
I love the UCONN team and dynasty they have built in CT. But Geno’s teaching moments are frustrating at times. Looking for offense with Kyla and Anna ( both whom were afraid to shoot and lack the presence in the post.
UCONN needed a spark with 5 minutes to go and one basket or a block can get ONO going against a tired Lauren Cox
Was the same against ND last year. 3 players are exhausted mentally and physically during a big game.
Need to keep ONO and trust Aubrey to learn as the fifth starter with Anna coming off the bench.
Check out Meagan’s productivity in the 4Q and it will tell a story.

Last edited by a moderator:

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Geno's track record for post players:
Rebecca Lobo
Kara Walters
Jessica Moore
Kelly Schumacher
Tina Charles
Stef Dolson
Stewie.

He & CD know what they are doing.

Reaction Score
This is what I’m thinking, too. She’s tall so she’ll have to play in the paint for UConn, but she hasn’t been consistently effective against other players her size. She’s only a sophomore so I have no doubt she’ll be better in time, but there’s definitely a lot of work ahead of her.
Unfortunately, it is unlikely she can develop the frame necessary to compete with more muscular bigs.

Reaction Score
This is what I’m thinking, too. She’s tall so she’ll have to play in the paint for UConn, but she hasn’t been consistently effective against other players her size. She’s only a sophomore so I have no doubt she’ll be better in time, but there’s definitely a lot of work ahead of her.
Tina didn't become TINA Until late her Jr year. True Olivia does not have an intimidating body. She had to do it with talent and brilliants of brain. That's where CD and Geno come in to teach her how to use her brain to intimidate with scoring.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Tina didn't become TINA Until late her Jr year. True Olivia does not have an intimidating body. She had to do it with talent and brilliants of brain. That's where CD and Geno come in to teach her how to use her brain to intimidate with scoring.
Lisa Leslie, another slim 6'5" center, figured out how to be pretty effective.

Reaction Score
Rebecca Lobo
Kara Walters
Jessica Moore
Kelly Schumacher
Tina Charles
Stef Dolson
Stewie.

Lobo and Walter and a bit of Jessica were in an era when height and weight were used in the post.
Kelly Shoe not so bulky had a final great game before that few thought of her as a great post. Stef is an example alone with J MOORE of what CD can do with a tiny bit of talent and desire. Stewie is an example of an exception she had an exceptional body and exceptional abilities none others meet her characteristics.

Reaction Score
Lisa Leslie, another slim 6'5" center, figured out how to be pretty effective.
what year did lisa leslie play for Uconn---not on any rosters I have seen.

Reaction Score
She may never be a strong post-up center. Her body is more like a small forwards. What she needs to work on is some finesse post moves. Hook shots and such. There are many players her size who are working on their outside game because they do not want to bang inside. Being 6'5" is not going to get you by on height alone anymore. Too many other big gals in the game today.

Another good reason to get out of the AAC. I doubt there are very many big post players to challenge your self against. You get better by playing against better players.
I agree completely Willtalk. I don't see her as ever being the type of player who can develip a "nasty streak" or will shove you out of the paint or intimidate you physically. If she can improve her passing and outside shooting skills she can make more of an impact on any team she plays on.

Reaction Score
Rebecca Lobo
Kara Walters
Jessica Moore
Kelly Schumacher
Tina Charles
Stef Dolson
Stewie.

You missed Tamika Williams, Asjha Jones and Paige Sauer

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Lobo and Walter and a bit of Jessica were in an era when height and weight were used in the post.
Kelly Shoe not so bulky had a final great game before that few thought of her as a great post. Stef is an example alone with J MOORE of what CD can do with a tiny bit of talent and desire. Stewie is an example of an exception she had an exceptional body and exceptional abilities none others meet her characteristics.
A few other examples of rail-thin (more so than Olivia) successful posts in women's basketball at the WNBA level:

Jonquel Jones
A'ja Wilson
Dearica Hamby
DeWanna Bonner

Bonner (who I think is related to ONO somehow) is a particularly good example. She has now had a 9-year WNBA career for the Phoenix Mercury, and has been a WNBA all-star. The Mercury web site lists her as 6-4 and (get this) 143 pounds. She uses length, leaping ability, and agility to compensate for lack of bulk. I've watched her play against the Connecticut Sun, and she is as effective a rebounder as anyone in the WNBA.

Someone on the Boneyard said that Olivia's only asset is her height. That is ridiculous -- she also has leaping ability, very long arms even for her height, and more mobility than most posts. (Can you imagine Stef trying to run the floor with her?) She also has intelligence and the ability to soak up what Geno and CD are teaching, which she obviously is doing. I think Geno was right when he said that while Olivia will never be a banger in the paint, she can be a successful post on offense as well as defense by playing the same kind of game as those mentioned above.

Having said all that, it will not hurt (if she is going to play a similar game to Stewie even though she will obviously never be Stewie) for her to have a Tuck-like sidekick. I think Aaliyah Edwards could be that player. She has experience at the national-team level of basketball, similar to Kia Nurse, and for that reason I think she will be as ready as Kia was as a freshman to play high-level college basketball. I think it is more likely that Edwards will be in next year's starting lineup than that Paige will be, simply because there are other alternatives at the guard position but not for the role that Edwards can play.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Rebecca Lobo
Kara Walters
Jessica Moore
Kelly Schumacher
Tina Charles
Stef Dolson
Stewie.

Kiah

Reaction Score
Yeah I was disappointed in her, but to her defense, she doesn’t have all that much experience. I’m glad he benched her. I could see in her that she will respond the right way. We won’t really see it until next year some time but she will explode. We just need strong big bodies. Deberry and Liv aren’t bangers. Gabriel I’m unsure about. That recruiting wish list for 2021 should definitely include a big strong rough post. These Baylor girls and South Carolina with Boston is gonna be problems for the foreseeable future. Boston is gonna eat Liv’s lunch in that game.
This is why ‘22 Isuneh Brady’s verbal is so exciting. But I hear what you are saying about UConn teams before then.

Reaction Score
Got to Disagree. She went up strong all game but got stuffed or lost the ball. The fadeaway is a good option against a top level center who is more massive than she is. She tried one fade away and it would have been fine except by that time, her confidence was zero and she short armed it. If it is good enough for Tina Charles, it it good enough for Liv. And while we are at it, going into Stewie's archives for a nice hook shot would be nice.
She gets stuffed by players not near as tall as she is. Take notice on layups only she releases the ball at shoulder height or lower

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
At the Memphis postgame news conference, I thought Geno made a telling comment on this subject:

"We can't afford for [Olivia] to be a 6-5 jump shooter. We need her to be an aggressive defensive presence and aggressive offensive player in the lane, and she's lost some of that aggressiveness. She's struggling with it, but she got it back a little bit, so maybe the second half was a good step."

I know some people on the Boneyard think that because of her thin physique, she can never be an effective post player. I think that is nonsense -- please see my above post on this thread (at 5:21 PM EST Monday) for several other examples of thin-bodied players who were all-star posts in the WNBA. One of them plays for the Connecticut Sun: Jonquel Jones. But the best example is DaWanna Bonner of the Phoenix Mercury, who has had a 10-year WNBA career and has been an all-star despite (at 6-4) weighing only 143 pounds! I see no reason why Olivia should have less career potential than any of these players.

Isn't Bonner related to ONO in some way? I thought I recalled hearing that.

Reaction Score
Rebecca Lobo
Kara Walters
Jessica Moore
Kelly Schumacher
Tina Charles
Stef Dolson
Stewie.

Don't forget Tuck and Stokes!

Reaction Score
I think it is very big of you to give Geno the benefit of a doubt. I think that the odds are very good that he knows what he is doing. He DOES have something of a track record.
Maybe she isn't as skilled as we had hoped. At the moment she can do two things well; block shots and score uncontested shots under the basket. Not nearly enough to led this team to FF.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom