Ono getting bigger? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ono getting bigger?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Hooliganism??? :cool:
Growing up in London, I’m going to take a wild guess that Evelyn is a big fan of Arsenal FC. ;) Perhaps UConn fans will adopt the charming custom of inebriated, full-throated singing during basketball games:

We all follow the Arsenal/UConn
Over land and sea (and Leicester/South Bend)
We al follow the Arsenal/UConn
Onto Victory!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Yes and I didn’t know Evina could be so happy

When you’re in a good place be it geographically or in life, you smile a lot. Evina is experiencing both of those dynamics right now. I think it would be fair to say she’s living her “best” life right now. Look at it this way, her best days in WCBB are IN FRONT of her, and she knows it. :cool:

Last edited:
Reaction Score

The first thing I did when EO's transfer was announced was to look up her stats vs P-5 teams. Now it's true that success vs the Vols or Kentucky is no guarantee of anything but those games at the very least say that she isn't intimidated by big time wcbb nor by the level of talent, because no matter how you judge the Vol team, they are always very talented/physical.

I am also looking forward to the season. Of the 4 assumed starters every one has an upside. Two are making the fr-soph jump, one is now a senior pg and the 4th is emerging from the shadow of Collier. Add in a Euro, a couple of transfers and a partridge in a pear tree. That's more uncertainty than we see in Storrs in 3 years. If nothing works out they are still an E-8 team but I find that very unlikely. It's more likely that they end up with the best backcourt in the country and one of the leaders in blocked shots. When ONO is out then press press press run run run. :)

It's going to be fun.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Growing up in London, I’m going to take a wild guess that Evelyn is a big fan of Arsenal FC. ;) Perhaps UConn fans will adopt the charming custom of inebriated, full-throated singing during basketball games:

We all follow the Arsenal/UConn
Over land and sea (and Leicester/South Bend)
We al follow the Arsenal/UConn
Onto Victory!
I just hope she's not a Chelsea or even worse Tottenham fan. :eek:

Carnac

Reaction Score
The first thing I did when EO's transfer was announced was to look up her stats vs P-5 teams. Now it's true that success vs the Vols or Kentucky is no guarantee of anything but those games at the very least say that she isn't intimidated by big time wcbb nor by the level of talent, because no matter how you judge the Vol team, they are always very talented/physical.

I am also looking forward to the season. Of the 4 assumed starters every one has an upside. Two are making the fr-soph jump, one is now a senior pg and the 4th is emerging from the shadow of Collier. Add in a Euro, a couple of transfers and a partridge in a pear tree. That's more uncertainty than we see in Storrs in 3 years. If nothing works out they are still an E-8 team but I find that very unlikely. It's more likely that they end up with the best backcourt in the country and one of the leaders in blocked shots. When ONO is out then press press press run run run. :)

It's going to be fun.

I agree. As you’ve said, and I’ve said in prior posts, because Geno will have bench depth he hasn’t had in a while, he’s going to be able to do some things, and put some combinations on the floor for brief periods of time that could literally stifle their opponents (like 4 guards and a wing = a small but very quick team - either to close out a quarter, or begin one).

For instance, he’ll be able to roll the dice and leave a starter in during the closing minutes of the first half, or in second half that’s in foul trouble because of that bench depth.

He could not do that last year. It will be fun to see how Geno uses his bench against the “elite “ teams on their schedule this year.

He can freely experiment with different combinations during league play. Conference teams won’t have a prayer of beating UConn this year, and will probably be elated to see them leave. UConn’s departure will open wide the opportunity, and level the playing field for them to win the conference tournament in the coming years, and get that automatic bid to the dance. Something that has been impossible to attain the last 6 years.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
I think in the case of Gabby, it was also the size of the muscle in her legs. No one could jump like she could. The high jumping training kicked in and was unique.

Going forward, Gabby knew she had no equal with respect to leaping ability, and was confident in her ability to rebound with anyone.

A good rebounder has 3 components.
1. hops 2. timing 3. desire. Desire means consistently (without thinking about it) putting themselves in an optimal position (blocking out) to get a rebound. Many great rebounders also have a nose for the ball. Something that’s instinctual and can’t be taught. A dedicated rebounder sees a ball come off the rim and thinks, it’s mine, not I’m going to try and get it. Dennis Rodman, Wes Unseld and Boogie Cousins had/have that mindset.

Collier was great at doing this. Remember when one of her UConn teammates called her a ball magnet? She was a prolific rebounder before she arrived at UConn. Size helps, but as we’ve seen recently with Gabby and Pheesa, height is not mandatory to be a good to great rebounder. At 6’1”, Megan showed last year that she can be a proficient and reliable rebounder.

Good rebounders are good at getting rebounds on purpose, not by accident. If Adebayo wants to be a good rebounder at this level, she can be. It will depend on the size of her heart and the extent of her desire.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

It's going to be fun.
It is going to be fun no doubt!
What is it that you find unlikely-is it that nothing works out or that the team makes the E-8?
ONO has a long way to technique wise go to be considered an elite shot blocker. In short she is a swatter, mostly coming down on the ball like a volleyball spike when it is far more efficient just to simply change the path of the ball slightly. Just the downward movement of ONO's arms when blocking shots is going to result in more cheap fouls. ONO also rarely blocks shots with her left (off) hand and for a post defender this is crucial.

A few of us started the pressing discussion a few months back with some believing that with added depth that is the way to go. I tend to disagree. With the departure of Mikayla I don't see a single player that is capable of executing the press to Geno's liking. Evina is a capable 1/2 court defender, but above arc she was a liability at TN and would have to improve drastically.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
@meyers7

For our strongest Arsenal Fan.

The fact that the bloke is a psychotic killer (on the show Elementary) should not
be taken 'that' seriously. ;)

Gotta show that to my wife. :oops: :rolleyes:

I do believe that is Vinnie Jones who played for quite a few teams in the EPL. Mostly for Wimbledon.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I think in the case of Gabby, it was also the size of the muscle in her legs. No one could jump like she could. The high jumping training kicked in and was unique.
Yep and her fast twitch muscles were impressive as well as her control of body while in the air. There wasn't a game that went by that she didn't do something jaw-droppingly athletic. One of my favs to watch.

Reaction Score
It is going to be fun no doubt!
What is it that you find unlikely-is it that nothing works out or that the team makes the E-8?
ONO has a long way to technique wise go to be considered an elite shot blocker. In short she is a swatter, mostly coming down on the ball like a volleyball spike when it is far more efficient just to simply change the path of the ball slightly. Just the downward movement of ONO's arms when blocking shots is going to result in more cheap fouls. ONO also rarely blocks shots with her left (off) hand and for a post defender this is crucial.

A few of us started the pressing discussion a few months back with some believing that with added depth that is the way to go. I tend to disagree. With the departure of Mikayla I don't see a single player that is capable of executing the press to Geno's liking. Evina is a capable 1/2 court defender, but above arc she was a liability at TN and would have to improve drastically.

Unlikely that nothing works out.

I look at the roster and see a bunch of 5'11"-6'1" types that are quick. A perfect pressing team.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Everyone seems to ASSUME that if Evina is eligible in 2019-20, she will be the fifth starter. I don't think that should be assumed. As was discussed a few months ago in another thread, Evina is not going to start in front of Crystal or Christyn, so if she is used as the fifth starter, Geno would be relying on ONO and Megan to control the paint and backboards. That is a poor use of Megan's talents, and it would largely waste her 3-point shot.

I think the fifth starter will be chosen for her contribution in the paint, especially rebounding. That would point away from Evina and towards Evelyn, Batouly, or possibly Aubrey.

Evina will get plenty of minutes as the third guard behind Crystal and Christyn even if she does not start.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Everyone seems to ASSUME that if Evina is eligible in 2019-20, she will be the fifth starter. I don't think that should be assumed. As was discussed a few months ago in another thread, Evina is not going to start in front of Crystal or Christyn, so if she is used as the fifth starter, Geno would be relying on ONO and Megan to control the paint and backboards. That is a poor use of Megan's talents, and it would largely waste her 3-point shot.

I think the fifth starter will be chosen for her contribution in the paint, especially rebounding. That would point away from Evina and towards Evelyn, Batouly, or possibly Aubrey.

Evina will get plenty of minutes as the third guard behind Crystal and Christyn even if she does not start.
Don't know if I buy into your logic on this one. Geno's often run a 4 out motion offense, where Evina and Meg can both thrive. I think most of the offensive sets will be keyed around CW's ability to slash and Crystal Dangerfield's ability to find the open player. And if I am right we will see a lot of 4 out sets with lots of motion. I wouldn't be surprised if most of ONO's offensive contributions comes from cutting in and out and getting lost by the defense. I'd really like to see her develop a sense to clear a path for the slash then follow to grab put backs. I don't think we are going to have a ridged starting 5 this year as defensive matchups may decide the starters (or major consumers of minutes).

Reaction Score

If Westbrook is eligible this year, there is ZERO chance she doesn't start! I realize that she has to learn play better defense and "UConn basketball" but, this kid is arguably the best scorer in the country and there is just no way you can keep talent like that out of the starting lineup.

Reaction Score
I believe Liv said that her doctor measured her a year ago at 6'4-1/2". I think she's 6'5".

I'm not particularly interested if she's grown a half an inch, I'm interested to see whether she has gotten physically stronger....................that's going to be a far more important key to her improved play next season...........

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'm not particularly interested if she's grown a half an inch, I'm interested to see whether she has gotten physically stronger.....that's going to be a far more important key to her improved play next season......
I was excited to see Liv at the PanAm games. Her summer long stay in Storrs working in the weight room have clearly paid dividends. In addition to adding some muscle, Liv needs to continue to improve her defensive footwork. I believe she will get to where she needs to be to become a dominant defender and rebounder.

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
I was excited to see Liv at the PanAm games. Her summer long stay in Storrs working in the weight room have clearly paid dividends. In addition to adding some muscle, Liv needs to continue to improve her defensive footwork. I believe she will get to where she needs to be to become a dominant defender and rebounder.
Agreed. Here is the safest prediction of the year. The ONO of March will not be the ONO of November. Confidence, confidence, confidence will cause the superior skill set to rise.

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
I believe Liv said that her doctor measured her a year ago at 6'4-1/2". I think she's 6'5".
Yeah but 6'4.5" is actually 6'6" in your game program. WOW ;)

Reaction Score
---It is yet to be proven whether U Tenn will be a force for Uconn to Recon with. Uconn does not hang a star on anyone since kelly Faris had ONE great game! then tanked, Geno cheered then wondered.
Evelyn if she plays as she did at home will be a welcome asset.
Nice picture of 3 (can't say BY PC) nice kids. ONO is ONLY starting to impress.
I don't understand the reference to Faris. Do you have time to enlighten me? :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom