Only thing I would’ve changed yesterday | The Boneyard

Only thing I would’ve changed yesterday

Reaction Score
And I mean nothing else. Is I would’ve worked the ball into Adama deep down 2. I watched the post game and no one talked about Adama. Adama is the best player bar none. He plays well every game. The guy was 19-11 and dominating. He deserved 1-2/ out of the last 5 shots. I think if he had received 2 plays the out cone is different It’s not the loss that hurts. It’s the opportunity I think we had to take the game by playing smarter. When we need points go to Adama and atleast play inside out. I heard Danny say we lost the game in the first 5 min of 2 nd half. Respectfully not true. In games like this you put yourself into position to win last 5 min. We were there but I feel we left incomplete leaving bettrr opportunities to tie or take the lead on the court along w our last timeout.

Reaction Score
Our guards absolutely struggled just to get the ball past the top of the key at times. The goal would be to get an easy dump down layup by Sanogo but that was not an easy task yesterday. I still would have preferred calling a time out and setting something up. A flailing completely covered three attempt by Hawkins should not be the best look we get. This is what we pay $$ millions to a coach.

Reaction Score
Danny telling the team at the first TO that they've seen the best of MUs defense and that they couldn't sustain it was when I turned to my wife and said oh I wish he didnt say that!!
Yup, this.

I just get unhinged when I see them not playing to their potential. We’ve been favorites for how many games this year? All of them? And we still lose on the court.

Reaction Score
Yup, this.

I just get unhinged when I see them not playing to their potential. We’ve been favorites for how many games this year? All of them? And we still lose on the court.
We’re 21-11-1 against the spread
this year, good for 14th best in the country. And we’re 19-11 ATS as favorites. What you’re describing here is going 30-0 lol

Reaction Score
And I mean nothing else. Is I would’ve worked the ball into Adama deep down 2. I watched the post game and no one talked about Adama. Adama is the best player bar none. He plays well every game. The guy was 19-11 and dominating. He deserved 1-2/ out of the last 5 shots. I think if he had received 2 plays the out cone is different It’s not the loss that hurts. It’s the opportunity I think we had to take the game by playing smarter. When we need points go to Adama and atleast play inside out. I heard Danny say we lost the game in the first 5 min of 2 nd half. Respectfully not true. In games like this you put yourself into position to win last 5 min. We were there but I feel we left incomplete leaving bettrr opportunities to tie or take the lead on the court along w our last timeout.
You are correct , we didn’t need a two and that was our first option . But credit Marquette for cutting it off.
On their broken play and our fast break opportunity. I believe he was a trailer but Hawkers took the deep three. On the next sequences we tried and failed to get the ball inside and had to settle for long threes attempts .

Reaction Score
If i could change one thing it would be Hawk showing up for the game.

Reaction Score
Marquette wanted it more. Right from the beginning. Kolek looked like he was pissed and had that fire to take over. Multiple Marquette defenders slapping the court on defense. UConn didn't nearly have the intensity to match. We still only lost by 2. Multiple people have mentioned it before but this team feels like it lacks that type of toughness. If we just thought we'd casually beat Marquette because we slaughtered them before and because "we own MSG" well, can't just think teams are going to lay down.

Reaction Score
Marquette wanted it more. Right from the beginning. Kolek looked like he was pissed and had that fire to take over. Multiple Marquette defenders slapping the court on defense. UConn didn't nearly have the intensity to match. We still only lost by 2. Multiple people have mentioned it before but this team feels like it lacks that type of toughness. If we just thought we'd casually beat Marquette because we slaughtered them before and because "we own MSG" well, can't just think teams are going to lay down.
This is 100% why we lost. Team showed poor effort and lack of mental fortitude. Hurley didn’t make Adama and the guards miscommunicate leading to 3 wide open threes. Hurley likely gave them the same pump up as every other game, so he’s not responsible for them coming out flat. Sometimes 20 year olds are just gonna 20 year old

Reaction Score
We’re 21-11-1 against the spread
this year, good for 14th best in the country. And we’re 19-11 ATS as favorites. What you’re describing here is going 30-0 lol
I’m not talking about the spread. If we’re favored, it means people expect us to win. Undefeated seemed possible at 14-0.

Reaction Score
Last time I looked they don’t give banners for beating the spread, but might have missed it. I want to win actual games. But I’m kind of old school I guess.

Reaction Score
They have a hard time getting it to Adama during crunch time because they pack paint and double him. They know it’s tough to make 3s at end of close game due to pressure. I wish they would have tried Clingan and Adama together more, because they could have moved the 2 around and gotten a post up for one without possibility for double team. It would have been a great plan B to have when the 3P wasn’t falling. I love Danny’s plan A this year, with the 1 big and a bunch of shooters, but he could have had a a completely different twist to throw at opponents but he never developed it.

Reaction Score
I’m not talking about the spread. If we’re favored, it means people expect us to win. Undefeated seemed possible at 14-0.
Well that's a you thing then. When we were 14-0, do you know what the odds are of us going undefeated was? Probably 1000-1. What's the fewest losses of any team that will be a 4 seed or better?

Reaction Score
Marquette defense took Hawkins out of the game while Jackson took himself out of the game. 9 of 15 from the FT line didn't help.
Hawk doesnt show up in big spots. Hes done it several times this season. I dont want to hear about Marq defense. AS had the D all over him and he still got his and got their bigs in foul trouble. Hawk had several open shots he simply bricked.

Reaction Score
the big mystery is why was Marquette so intense. why have past UCONN teams been so intense but not yesterday's version. this is what concerns me most about Hurley.

caw

Reaction Score
Well that's a you thing then. When we were 14-0, do you know what the odds are of us going undefeated was? Probably 1000-1. What's the fewest losses of any team that will be a 4 seed or better?
Houston, at 2, but they play in a Mickey Mouse league as a very good squad. They would probably have 5+ in any decent league.

After them, UCLA at 4 (league only slightly better than Mickey Mouse).

After that it’s 5+.

Actually only 5 teams have fewer than 5 losses this year. The two above and FAU, CoC and Oral Bob.

Bama, Purdue and Zags with 5.

Zona, Marquette, SDSU and Kent State at 6.

Everyone else at 7+.

12 teams in the country with fewer than 7 losses.

So only Bama, Purdue and Marquette at fewer than 7 losses of teams in more than 2 bid leagues.

16 teams with only 7 losses. Three in top tier leagues (UVA, Miami and KU). Assuming you consider the ACC a top tier league this year.

Reaction Score
This is 100% why we lost. Team showed poor effort and lack of mental fortitude. Hurley didn’t make Adama and the guards miscommunicate leading to 3 wide open threes. Hurley likely gave them the same pump up as every other game, so he’s not responsible for them coming out flat. Sometimes 20 year olds are just gonna 20 year old
My goodness, the entire point of coaching is preparation and execution. Every single outcome has to be owned by he coach. The great ones turn 20 year olds into champions not by psyching them up (which rarely sustains) but by building focus, mental toughness and execution discipline. He has to be in command at all times. He is the leader and the buck stops at his desk. By definition these kids are immature, emotional and prone to make mistakes. That’s the whole point of having a coach.

Reaction Score
Our guards absolutely struggled just to get the ball past the top of the key at times. The goal would be to get an easy dump down layup by Sanogo but that was not an easy task yesterday. I still would have preferred calling a time out and setting something up. A flailing completely covered three attempt by Hawkins should not be the best look we get. This is what we pay $$ millions to a coach.
Karaban, Hawkins and Newton will surely have problems when the two interior players are a rangey 6’5” forward and a 6’8” power forward.

Reaction Score
You completely miss my point. If we’re favored, we should win. There were a few games we actually got outplayed, but most of the time we lost, and we lost a few more than we should have… if we were the favorite.

Reaction Score
My 74 year old sister called yesterday morning to ask about my granddaughter whom we were watching yesterday. Mind you she’s a UConn fan but only because my dad, brother and I have been for so many years. Anyway after talking about my Gracelyn, she asked if I got over the loss which I told her “yep onto the tourney.” Then she said when the “big kid from Bristol came in 2nd half with a couple other subs they played great and tied it up. Then he came out but never came back in 2nd half why didn’t they play him again?”

You’d think I’d have an answer but I didn’t!

Reaction Score
I’d have to check a replay but it felt like for many of our possessions down the stretch, we had a guard 26 feet from the hoop with 5 seconds left on the shot clock forced to make a play. That would imply that we tried to get it down low but it just wasn’t there

Reaction Score
I’d have to check a replay but it felt like for many of our possessions down the stretch, we had a guard 26 feet from the hoop with 5 seconds left on the shot clock forced to make a play. That would imply that we tried to get it down low but it just wasn’t there
Your eyes were not deceiving you. Our best player, for getting the ball inside, was on the bench. Likely, we also lacked a quick first step player than can made a play on his own. Marquette also played a tough in your face defense, credit to them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom