Only thing I would’ve changed yesterday | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Only thing I would’ve changed yesterday

Reaction Score
Marquette defense took Hawkins out of the game while Jackson took himself out of the game. 9 of 15 from the FT line didn't help.
Seems correct. I noticed Souly Boum
was 0 for 9 with 1 point -wow :(. I’m hoping we meet Marquette in the FF.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Danny telling the team at the first TO that they've seen the best of MUs defense and that they couldn't sustain it was when I turned to my wife and said oh I wish he didnt say that!!
He says stupid crap like this all the time. He said something similar at Creighton, noting that the crowd came out roaring but we weathered it like it was over in the first 5.

It’s like he’s nervous about something, mentions it, but tries to gloss over it saying “it’s over now.”

All he really needs to say is you’ve seen their intensity now adjust to it and match it. I don’t know why he sets the expectation that they don’t need to rise to the occasion, especially when he has a depth that should be his advantage. Frankly, the message should be let’s crank the energy up more and drive them off the court.

Reaction Score
And I mean nothing else. Is I would’ve worked the ball into Adama deep down 2. I watched the post game and no one talked about Adama. Adama is the best player bar none. He plays well every game. The guy was 19-11 and dominating. He deserved 1-2/ out of the last 5 shots. I think if he had received 2 plays the out cone is different It’s not the loss that hurts. It’s the opportunity I think we had to take the game by playing smarter. When we need points go to Adama and atleast play inside out. I heard Danny say we lost the game in the first 5 min of 2 nd half. Respectfully not true. In games like this you put yourself into position to win last 5 min. We were there but I feel we left incomplete leaving bettrr opportunities to tie or take the lead on the court along w our last timeout.
You have changed the way we defended to the way they defended?

Reaction Score
You completely miss my point. If we’re favored, we should win. There were a few games we actually got outplayed, but most of the time we lost, and we lost a few more than we should have… if we were the favorite.
It's not as simple as if we're favored, we should win! In most of our games our percentage chance to win was probably somewhere between 55 and 75%. If you are a 66% chance to win, that means you will lose those games 1/3 of the time!

You said that at 14-0, undefeated was a possibility. It was a .0023% possibility. It doesn't happen. All teams lose multiple games they "should" win every year.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
My goodness, the entire point of coaching is preparation and execution. Every single outcome has to be owned by he coach. The great ones turn 20 year olds into champions not by psyching them up (which rarely sustains) but by building focus, mental toughness and execution discipline. He has to be in command at all times. He is the leader and the buck stops at his desk. By definition these kids are immature, emotional and prone to make mistakes. That’s the whole point of having a coach.
Totally agree. It's called responsibility. He's supposed to be the adult in the room; not the alpha cheerleader.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
. I wish they would have tried Clingan and Adama together more,
Anyone who says this doesn’t watch the other end of the court. Marquette torched Adama in space Friday. Play him at the 4 and that's All you’ll see.

Reaction Score
Yup, this.

I just get unhinged when I see them not playing to their potential. We’ve been favorites for how many games this year? All of them? And we still lose on the court.
The vibes were off last night. Hopefully they can regroup for a run in the dance

Reaction Score
You have changed the way we defended to the way they defended?
No we played fine. We were in great position to win. I simply believe our rock was the main reason we were in position to win— he rightfully so should’ve been given a couple of chances to tie

Reaction Score
No we played fine. We were in great position to win. I simply believe our rock was the main reason we were in position to win— he rightfully so should’ve been given a couple of chances to tie
The "position" might have been a lot better had we defended like they defended.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Anyone who says this doesn’t watch the other end of the court. Marquette torched Adama in space Friday. Play him at the 4 and that's All you’ll see.
Shaka slipping the hedge worked flawlessly too and we never adapted. Putting two, big, slow defenders at the perimeter would’ve been a recipe for disaster.

Reaction Score
It's not as simple as if we're favored, we should win! In most of our games our percentage chance to win was probably somewhere between 55 and 75%. If you are a 66% chance to win, that means you will lose those games 1/3 of the time!

You said that at 14-0, undefeated was a possibility. It was a .0023% possibility. It doesn't happen. All teams lose multiple games they "should" win every year.
You're still missing it. I don't care about probability or chance. All I'm saying is if you're giving points, you're "supposed" to win.

Reaction Score
The "position" might have been a lot better had we defended like they defended.
They had 2 more points than us. They also did not score the last 3:45. While not perfect holding Marquette to 70 is good. We had a winning hand to play—some conservatism and patience on offense in that same period might’ve been a huge difference.

Reaction Score
the big mystery is why was Marquette so intense. why have past UCONN teams been so intense but not yesterday's version. this is what concerns me most about Hurley.
A little disturbing that Hurley has to send messages to Newton, a 4 year player by not starting him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom