Only 3 guys I trust on the team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Love the team, but as of now I only trust these three guys:

Boatright
Hamilton
Facey

No other guard besides Boatright has much handle.

I didn't put Brimah on the list because for all his attributes to be 7ft tall and consistently get out-rebounded by Boatright is a problem.

We had some trouble facing the press last year with Boat and Bazz on the floor at the same time, but this year as WV showed we will have a lot of problems with a full court press.

Also someone should tell Brimah he should have knocked that WV player to the ground for dunking when the game was over...smh

But I do think we will be much better come March, I hope we can have 1 or 2 more players step it up, because Boat laid his heart out there but was just exhausted by the end of the game.

Reaction Score
In a game like this, Amida is more or less reduced to an alley-oop recipient on offense. For whatever reason, WVUs (and Louisville's) pressure D takes us completely out of our offensive flow. It's more or less a high screen dribble drive and kick out offense. We don't post up Amida or Facey. We're looking to kick out to shooters that can't shoot consistently.

Reaction Score
I trust Amida with a post up opportunity, I was dipping in and out of the game due to frustration and Bazz vs Kemba but I couldn't recall a single opportunity. The guards went haywire against the press and just became mindless. Brimah needs to be involved more and not just on alley oops and shovel passes from the guards.

Reaction Score
I trust Amida with a post up opportunity, I was dipping in and out of the game due to frustration and Bazz vs Kemba but I couldn't recall a single opportunity. The guards went haywire against the press and just became mindless. Brimah needs to be involved more and not just on alley oops and shovel passes from the guards.

I'd be all for a post up, but like you said, I can only remember one time that we actually fed the post and it was early and Amida travelled. After that, it just became a dribble drive/one on one game. From the first possession, their defense took us out of any flow. It reminded me of the Iowa St game in a sense where Royce White took the ball and immediately dunked on Drummond. Right away, even as the most faithful fan, you knew that something was awry.

Reaction Score
joober is right. While Facey has improved dramatically in many areas he is not someone you can throw the ball to or even take in bounds during pressure and neither is Amida. Need someone who can give you a presence to jump in the middle to catch a pass then pivot and throw it to a cutter or dribble it out of pressure. We don't have that as of right now - work in progress.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I don't trust Facey making the inbound pass.

Literaly just said the same thing to my cousin.

I trust boat and to a way lesser extent T Sam.

Hamilton will be a fine player but not sure how after an 8 turnover game that's when you trust him.

Reaction Score
From the first possession, their defense took us out of any flow. It reminded me of the Iowa St game in a sense where Royce White took the ball and immediately dunked on Drummond. Right away, even as the most faithful fan, you knew that something was awry.

I felt the same way -- both last night and in 2012. They punched us in the mouth from the opening tip, and we never really got back into it.

Reaction Score
Didnt realize we only really have one ball handling guard until last night, worrisome i think.

Reaction Score
I actually thought Facey did a decent job as a safety valve on the press. He showed pretty good composure to catch, pass fake if needed, and then deliver to a guard. I know the box said he had three TOs but I only remember the 5 second call in the half court.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I trust all of the players more than any of you guys!:) My take:

Ryan is the only player whose game is complete.

Purvis was getting momentum to be another guy with a complete game but the ankle injury could set him back. Hope he can be close to 100% by Texas. Otherwise that game could get ugly.

T Sam needs to get a mid range or deep shot in the worst way. He's got other facets of the game on the offensive end down, but without a good midrange or deep threats they clog the middle on him. When UConn got the score down to 6, TSam took the game over and that takeover was three trips without a score. But he did manage to break the press. Also needs to improve his FT shooting.

DHam is silky smooth on offense. I don't want to see him become tentative, but he's got to figure out how to pass on the break better because he's tough to guard when the primary opposing defenders are playing Boat and Purvis. Two games in a row in which his passing has been bad. I'm confident he fixes it soon.

Sam C had the open threes. He's made big threes before the WVU game at times when games were close. This game was a clunker. His FT shooting is abysmal. He's behind RB, RP and TS for guard play. Just not as good a defender as the other three. But a great 4th guard.

PN didn't play badly in his limited minutes. He screens well, aced the Dukie manual for flopping, and has some decent moves on offense. I think he can contribute more.

AB is still adjusting to the game. I expect him to be up and down all season.

Kentan has a lot of upside imo. His play in the second half is considerably better than the first half in almost every game he's played. It's almost night and day. Which tells me he's still figuring things out, listens well to the coaches at half time and makes the necessary adjustments. When he gets more comfortable the entire games should be improved both for him and the team. He was the release valve in the first half for the press, but waited for the guards to cross mid court as opposed to driving to the basket and scoring or dishing to AB. There were a lot of opportunities to end that press with an experienced Facey. I can't wait until the coaches give him a green like to take shots away from the basket. I believe strongly he's got a good deep and mid range game.

Reaction Score
I actually thought Facey did a decent job as a safety valve on the press. He showed pretty good composure to catch, pass fake if needed, and then deliver to a guard. I know the box said he had three TOs but I only remember the 5 second call in the half court.

I think the other two were on inbounds passes - definitely one of them was (a soft bounce pass). Sort of thing you learn from and remember to put a little more pace on it next time.

Reaction Score
Kind of surprised that being the age of a Junior that and a 5 star Mcdonalds All American that Purvis doesn't have better handle.

D

Deleted member 3149

Way too much panicking. Realistically, we had one bad half of basketball. If you look at the box score, we outplayed them in the second half - and that's without Rodney Purvis. We learned that we need to adjust against the press, you don't think KO is teaching them how to counter that right now? This team will look great against Texas - just watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom