One word: Chemistry | The Boneyard

One word: Chemistry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This board is sounding like we've never been through this before. We lost some very key elements to a National Championship, all of whom played for 3-4 years at UConn or another university. Jazz, DD, Neils, Lasan and Tyler all had oodles of experience on the D1 scene and it took that long to become what they were and play together in a way that crated excellence. We have 1 guy with 3 years, one with 2 and a couple with 1. The others have zero, yes zero and they will be tasked with being key components immediately. A lot to ask of them but it would seem a couple will be more than ready to take that on.

Chemistry will not happen with this type of inexperience in a matter of 2 exhibition games, it will take time. In time we will see some things which are truly great and will make us think all will be well, and there will be bumps in the road which will bring us to times we'd prefer to forget. It is what it is guys and gals. With the OOC schedule we have I believe we will get blown out once although I have no idea who. Until they get to know each other and become the well oiled machine KO will create, hold on tight to your beer mugs as we will need our flat screens for quite a few more games.

And please stop the Purvis talk, he will be fine and everyone will be really happy when he calms down and quits trying so hard. He saw what it was like last year and he wants this again for you as much as himself I promise. Once he allows the game to come to him all will be well.

Reaction Score
Great post. Once this team learns to play together and run, it is going to be really fun to watch. I don't think there is a team in the country that can run with Boat, Rodney, DHam, Facet and Brimah. The first track meet is going to be very enjoyable.

Reaction Score
I am mildly concerned that Boatright wont bring the same heady toughness and team bonding force that Kemba and Shabazz before him brought. I know KO is there to usher him into this leadership role, but he needs to be that guy immediately. He was one of the teams better cheerleaders last season so I have faith in him, less tough guy attitude and more support and sanity for the team when things get out of line.

I really miss seeing Bazz and Giff, but the leadership and stability that Giffey brought will be noticed this year, early on at least. We all know what we lost with Bazz graduating, but I think the effects of no Neils will continue to show in different ways as this season rolls on

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
  1. Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees.
  2. Place roast beef in oven for approximately 2-3 months, possibly 4.
  3. End result will be fantastic. The rub really came together with the meat. Mmmmm

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I am mildly concerned that Boatright wont bring the same heady toughness and team bonding force that Kemba and Shabazz before him brought. I know KO is there to usher him into this leadership role, but he needs to be that guy immediately. He was one of the teams better cheerleaders last season so I have faith in him, less tough guy attitude and more support and sanity for the team when things get out of line.

I really miss seeing Bazz and Giff, but the leadership and stability that Giffey brought will be noticed this year, early on at least. We all know what we lost with Bazz graduating, but I think the effects of no Neils will continue to show in different ways as this season rolls on
Neils was a great player and a great person, but he was not a leader. He was a great supporter of the team and, from comments he made, he was a great supporter of Shabazz. There were times I wished he developed the character to assert himself more.

Shabazz had three years to develop his leadership role. Ryan only has this season. That is comparable to Kemba. But at the time Kemba took over the team, he had the option of his senior season to prove himself. This option is not available to Ryan. Combine this with what his two predecessors have accomplished, there is a tremendous amount to expectation and pressure on Ryan that the previous two leaders did not have to face.

Ryan, like Kemba, is working with practically a new team. And Ryan, like Kemba, moves from the deferring guard to the primary guard. That is a very difficult task. Lest we forget, UConn struggled for long stretches under Kemba that championship season. And lest we forget, not many people have Kemba's personality. Furthermore the teams under Kemba and Ryan have different players so the situations aren't totally translatable.

As an aside and not related to your post, I find it interesting that many of us focus on a primary person as being responsible for failure when failure takes place. I'm not sure if it's a basic inability for people to see the big picture or there still is a adolescent type of response to negative events that we never move past. Of course, if the majority of people behave a certain way, than that behavior is considered normal even if it is counter productive.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Neils was a great player and a great person, but he was not a leader. He was a great supporter of the team and, from comments he made, he was a great supporter of Shabazz. There were times I wished he developed the character to assert himself more.

Shabazz had three years to develop his leadership role. Ryan only has this season. That is comparable to Kemba. But at the time Kemba took over the team, he had the option of his senior season to prove himself. This option is not available to Ryan. Combine this with what his two predecessors have accomplished, there is a tremendous amount to expectation and pressure on Ryan that the previous two leaders did not have to face.

Ryan, like Kemba, is working with practically a new team. And Ryan, like Kemba, moves from the deferring guard to the primary guard. That is a very difficult task. Lest we forget, UConn struggled for long stretches under Kemba that championship season. And lest we forget, not many people have Kemba's personality. Furthermore the teams under Kemba and Ryan have different players so the situations aren't totally translatable.

As an aside and not related to your post, I find it interesting that many of us focus on a primary person as being responsible for failure when failure takes place. I'm not sure if it's a basic inability for people to see the big picture or there still is a adolescent type of response to negative events that we never move past. Of course, if the majority of people behave a certain way, than that behavior is considered normal even if it is counter productive.
I see where he's coming from. I don't think he's blaming them for losses, but Niels was definitely Shabazz's sidekick last year in terms of leadership and addressing the team. I forget who, (may have been Leon?) but he said Niels also re-interpreted Shabazz's words that hit guys differently. I agree with kembacity in where Boat was the best cheerleader - he sunk into that role when Shabazz usurped leadership rights in 2011-2012.

Reaction Score
aaron-rodgers-geeksandcleats.jpg

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I see where he's coming from. I don't think he's blaming them for losses, but Niels was definitely Shabazz's sidekick last year in terms of leadership and addressing the team. I forget who, (may have been Leon?) but he said Niels also re-interpreted Shabazz's words that hit guys differently. I agree with kembacity in where Boat was the best cheerleader - he sunk into that role when Shabazz usurped leadership rights in 2011-2012.
I guess I wasn't clear. I never felt @Kembacity was blaming leaders for losses. Not from the post I was making a reply, nor from his posting in general. I probably should have posted that last paragraph in a separate post, but I was concerned people would think it came out of left field.

I would classify Niels to Shabazz as Blaney to Calhoun. Not sure Blaney and Niels are leaders in the mold of Shabazz and Calhoun, but play roles integral in the functioning of the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom