One Sour Note About The 90th Win... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

One Sour Note About The 90th Win...

Reaction Score
I don't want to hear all the excuses- "Oh, the traffic's too bad", "Oh, there's no parking there" etc, etc, etc.

You guys need to suck it up and do some sacrificing (like the players do).

I'll be like Geno and tell it like it is- "get your butts there and support them the rest of this season! I don't wanna see no empty seats again!".

OK...I'm done. :)

How about 'their getting ready to throw dirt on me".

Do I get a pass?

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I will be there on Saturday for #91.

I wish I could attend more and if UConn decides to join the Pac 12 I would make most of the trips.
By the way, after watching Tuesdays game on ESPN3 on my computer, I rushed out to watch my local HS team play(and win). I love to support the gals, at all levels.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The problem is, it appears that the UConn folks have not come up with a way -- any way -- to attract people to replace their declining audience. As a result, you look in the stands and see...a declining audience.
Bingo. If UCONN was that concerned about fan attendance, they easily could arrange transportation from the campus to Hartford for students. Over 10,000 fans for a game against USF is fantastic. My parents are in their mid/late 70's and try to attend every game as they do have season tickets, and they make it a night out with other couples, but with EVERY UCONN game televised, it's way more comfortable for seniors to sit at home in warmth and comfort rather than head out to a game. Even worse are the concrete benches at Gample - how anyone can sit in those seats for 2 hours is mystifying.

Bottom line, UCONN needs to do its' part in outreach for fans, not just expect that with technology and televised games that people will come out and fill stadiums (would ANYONE really want to sit up in the nosebleed section to watch a game????)

Reaction Score
"Well, on Tuesday night as the top-ranked Huskies crushed No. 20 South Florida 102-37 for record-tying win No. 90 in a row before a season-high crowd of 10,109 at the XL Center, Auriemma got the message loud and clear about what a big deal it was to his players as they set a program record for largest margin of victory over a team ranked in the Associated Press poll."

UConn women’s basketball wins 90th straight game, ties own NCAA record

Sparce attendance? I think not :p
While I was amazed this game was not sold out, certainly more positives than negatives. Currently living in Texas and having put time in Mass, CO, Mich-there is no other Women's team I know that has the level of interest of the UConn Huskies. You can count on at least 6000 each game as well as the same attendance or more for away games. Lets not forget the fan base that helps make the overall "brand" great.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
We drove down from Vermont and scheduled a continued trip on home in the Apple after the game...lot of driving...but I'm still up to it at 78

It didn't seem like much of a sacrifice to stop over to see one of the more classic games in UConn history.
We were a little concerned about finding reasonably priced, informal food but found the wonderful Korean BBQ place, right around the corner...fab.

I like big stadiums and don't mind sitting upstairs; found reasonably priced seats on the corner (which I prefer), row B , purchased only a day or two before, which were just fine. I always liked sitting upstairs esp hockey, but also BB and baseball....you get a good overall perspective. Different from downstairs.

Sound s like my wife and I are outliers; willing to drive long distances at night, no eyesight problems, happy to sit upstairs...It's a hoot pretending we're still young.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
It seems obvious that the OP hasn't paid much attention to the BY. Attendance issues have been discussed here many times and I think the BY has reached the consensus that there are many factors affecting attendance. I doubt if their misinformed rant will change any of those factors.

I find it irritating that a poster, who admittedly doesn't go to games, chooses to go off on what they call "so called fans" when it's obvious that they don't have a friggen' clue about being a fan or about WCBB.

Reaction Score
Coach has said in the past that he'd love for all of the games to be scheduled at noon on a Saturday or Sunday. On our schedule there are (were) four home games, one an exhibition that started at 1:00 or earlier. Still 3 games left at these times. Now, what is the excuse? I understand the fans that live out of the area, and the elderly ...

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Can't see why people are projecting their own age, geography, weather or work schedule on the OP.

People in these forums are doing their part. The reality is that although other programs are suffering with personal attendance some very successful franchises aren't. The football game between Georgia and SC was packed even though it was moved last second because of the hurricane and both teams were not having great seasons.

It's sad that the attendance has dropped over time. There is a decent pool of citizens living in CT to fill seats for a momentous occasion.

Reaction Score
As a side note, for those of us who do use cable tv or direct tv services to watch ESPN, CBS sports, BTN sports, or SNY, the ratings must be very good from thousands of us for sponsors to continually buy time for the UConn games. Kobota tractors sell pretty big out where I live.

Reaction Score
Bingo. If UCONN was that concerned about fan attendance, they easily could arrange transportation from the campus to Hartford for students. Over 10,000 fans for a game against USF is fantastic. My parents are in their mid/late 70's and try to attend every game as they do have season tickets, and they make it a night out with other couples, but with EVERY UCONN game televised, it's way more comfortable for seniors to sit at home in warmth and comfort rather than head out to a game. Even worse are the concrete benches at Gample - how anyone can sit in those seats for 2 hours is mystifying.

Bottom line, UCONN needs to do its' part in outreach for fans, not just expect that with technology and televised games that people will come out and fill stadiums (would ANYONE really want to sit up in the nosebleed section to watch a game????)
They do have buses that run from campus to the XL for all games for students. Problem is the students are not back to school until this weekend. They do the same for Football games to Rentsler Stadium.

Reaction Score
Can't see why people are projecting their own age, geography, weather or work schedule on the OP.

I mostly took issue with his characterization of those who can't make it to the games for whatever reason as "so-called fans."

Reaction Score
The honest reason why I don't go - I have cataracts and don't see that great at night (even at 55) and I have no one to go with. None of my friends are bball fans - plain and simple. I will go to day games though and I'll even go to games at MSG because I can take the train. Storrs is 2 hours from me, and Hartford is an hour (which is doable in the daytime). If I can drag someone with me to Hartford at night and get them to drive then I'm good to go! I'll even buy the drinks and dinner.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The honest reason why I don't go - I have cataracts and don't see that great at night (even at 55) and I have no one to go with. None of my friends are bball fans - plain and simple. I will go to day games though and I'll even go to games at MSG because I can take the train. Storrs is 2 hours from me, and Hartford is an hour (which is doable in the daytime). If I can drag someone with me to Hartford at night and get them to drive then I'm good to go! I'll even buy the drinks and dinner.
You can get those fixed. Day surgery. It's quick and easy.

Reaction Score

Yes - I spoke with my eye doctor. Unfortunately they're not "ready" yet. They're bad enough that I can't drive much at night, but not bad enough for insurance to approve the surgery. I'm waiting for them to get worse...sigh..

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yes - I spoke with my eye doctor. Unfortunately they're not "ready" yet. They're bad enough that I can't drive much at night, but not bad enough for insurance to approve the surgery. I'm waiting for them to get worse...sigh..
Grrrrrrr. Had my right one done a couple years back.

Reaction Score

They make things that you can place on those benches to support your back. I've seen them in the last week at HS games.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score

Wife is in the same boat.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
They make things that you can place on those benches to support your back. I've seen them in the last week at HS games.

Spoken like someone who hasn't sat in them, isn't old, doesn't have a skinny, unpadded ass and has hips narrower than a cheapo airline seat. Gampel concrete seating is uncomfortable. After a while you reach a point where the product isn't worth the pain.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
How about 'their getting ready to throw dirt on me".

Do I get a pass?
CgKGb34WEAA9bNa.jpg

"That is not an excuse! I hear that all the time and
I do not accept it"

Reaction Score
all the empty seats.

You'd think all you so-called fans would be there to cheer the girls on for something so tremendous. And it is pretty tremendous. The biggest thing in college and maybe pro sports in history. Or maybe just one of the biggest things.

It kills me to see their home games with such sparse attendance but it happens all the time. I only had one chance to see them and I drove about 400 miles to do it.

You guys are taking them for granted.

I don't want to hear all the excuses- "Oh, the traffic's too bad", "Oh, there's no parking there" etc, etc, etc.

You guys need to suck it up and do some sacrificing (like the players do).

I'll be like Geno and tell it like it is- "get your butts there and support them the rest of this season! I don't wanna see no empty seats again!".

Having just read all of the excuses for the poor attendance, I need to weigh in. First, my wife and I have season tickets for men's, women's basketball and football. So yes, we go to many more games than one a year.
I agree with whomever said we need more weekend games. Last year Geno commented on the good attendance after one of the Saturday games, particular on the number kids. I think the same holds true of the men's games.

No one has mentioned pure old fashioned "jaded with success" as a reason for the poor attendance. When we moved here in the late 80's it was impossible to get season tickets. When we first finally got men's tickets we were in something like row ZZ, two rows in front of the hockey press box. Now is almost stupid to get season tickets since there are so many last minute deals and it seems , based on the number of transients sitting around us at every game, you can actually get better tickets on a game by game basis. If I didn't have season tickets I too would be more likely to skip a game because it might rain or its too cold.

Reaction Score
all the empty seats.
It kills me to see their home games with such sparse attendance but it happens all the time. I only had one chance to see them and I drove about 400 miles to do it.

I don't disagree with you but I guess I don't understand some things and have some opinions on some others. I DID go to the game Tuesday. I've been following this team for something like 29 years and it was the first time I actually went to one. Perhaps shame on me, but it is a fact that traveling in the winter at night and fighting traffic is not a pleasant experience. I went to see that game because It wasn't available on my TV and I really, really wanted to see it.
But here's the thing. When I went online (first time ever) to get a ticket I found very little choice and even less that I was willing to afford. In the lower sections the prices started at 140$ and went to over 300$. But even in the upper sections there was very little choice. I sat in Section 214, row P, and I was offered seats 6 through 10 in that row. Period. I chose that section because it's the closest that was offered to the center of the arena.
Even up there I had as much trouble telling Gabby from Kia from Saniya from Pheesa that I do on TV. (Girls, how about different 'do's, dye jobs; something!). I love the way they really do seem to be interchangeable parts but that's taking it a little too far!
But I digress.
Another post says the attendance was 10,109, and I finally found online the basketball capacity is 15 thousand something. The seats were not all full, but it looked to me like it was more than 2/3 full. There were empty seats above me and at the top of all the sections. They weren't available online if I'd wanted them. Most sections showed no seats available at any price. Yet all over the arena, even in the upper sections, there were quite a few seats unoccupied, including in the sections that were not available online at all. Could they all really be season tickets that were unused, that night of all nights? There were four seats in the row in front of me that were never occupied. Frankly, I considered not going because the choice was so poor.
And I have to say that while I loved the game and am thrilled that I was there, there were a lot of negatives to the XL Center. The seating seems unreasonably narrow for one thing. there was a larger gentleman sitting next to me and even with the seats divided with armrests I felt like I was jammed into a corner.
The thing that was worst for me was the sound level though. The speakers for the arena are over the scoreboard and were almost directly in front of me, so perhaps it's not quite as loud in the lower sections and at the very top. But it was painfully loud to me and my hearing is no longer that great. If I ever go again ear plugs will be mandatory. There is simply no need for that much volume. It makes voices hard to understand simply because it is so overly loud.
I don't know what's general practice because I've never been there before (since the roof collapsed) but I do know they advertised posters for that game. The woman on the other side of me was crazy to get one. (Turned out they were the "90" signs). But only the lower sections got them and perhaps not even all of them.
So the game was great, the girls were GREAT, but the overall experience was not so great. And at home the food and drink is free and easily accessible along with the bathroom.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score

What a fine fan you are.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score

With the new lenses, you don't even have to use reading glasses.
My friend are all amazed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom