One reason Kiah is my fav player... | The Boneyard

One reason Kiah is my fav player...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The WNBA is promoting their league on ESPN and ABC using various stars centered around the theme "Watch me work". If they do a subsequent promo, they should include Kiah, and this video clip of her doing work against Stewart and the Storm. Kiah's stock is rising in the BIG apple. Liberty head coach "trader" Bill Laimbeer is now at the point where he not only trusts her, he depends on her. Especially when she makes plays like this one. She had 7 points in 29 minutes tonight. She also had two other blocks tonight besides this one. Go Kiah.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Kiah'a Athleticism, rebounding and especially her shot-blocking is off the charts.
She's sneaking in on high-lows and is wide open about twice as often as they find her.
Playing outstanding BB.
Go get um, Kiah.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Tina bit on the ball fake, but Kiah was there to prevent the score. Damn, it's hard to score against that Liberty front court!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I bet it's not the first time Stewie ended up on the floor after getting blocked by Kiah.

No wonder Kiah is having such success blocking shots in the WNBA. She's sprouted up to 6'6"!

Making matters worse, the Liberty punctuated its victory when Kiah Stokes, a 6-foot-6 backup center, blocked Stewart’s short jumper and sent her former Connecticut teammate sprawling to the floor.

Breanna Stewart, Jewell Loyd and Sue Bird struggle in Storm loss to Liberty, 86-78

Reaction Score
Wow! One of my favorite huskies, love seeing her play well and I think there is much more to come!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I bet it's not the first time Stewie ended up on the floor after getting blocked by Kiah.
My thought exactly. Bet that's happened many a time. And vice-versa.

Reaction Score
Two things. I don't think Kiah grew 3 inches and it looks like Stewie was going in for a dunk. Just saying.

Reaction Score
There are a lot of things that contribute to that block falling into "instant classic" territory. Off the top of my head:

1. The play started a good distance away from the basket, with Stewie out near the side of the 3 point line, and Kiah out on the foul line guarding someone else. The spacing makes it elegant to track the progress of the players over the course of the play.

2. It has an easy narrative. "Stewart was being guarded by Tina Charles on the 3 point line. She pump fakes and goes by Charles like nothing. Streaks in for an open layup, when all of a sudden, boom!"

3. Stewie's attempted release point was quite high. Not quite at rim level, but approaching it. Some of the less athletic centers out there would struggle to get their fingers on that ball after it had gotten that high.

4. Kiah not only managed to reach the ball, she got her whole frigging hand on it, as if she were blocking some Moriah-sized player instead of Breanna Stewart.

5. Kiah's physical alignment was perfect, such that (in combination with her strength), her balance was barely even disturbed by the whole thing, and she returned to the ground fairly casually.

6. Breanna, on the other hand, bent like a reed in a hurricane. :D

Reaction Score
That block was a beautiful thing to see, but it was made more fun by the one on one play a little earlier that Breanna beat Kiah on, a nice finger roll wherein she stretched out abnormally far to exceed the reach of Kiah. A very pretty play in itself. Kiah was not happy about it. Then she turned it around with the block. I loved seeing that little bit of back and forth by former Uconn Huskies.

Reaction Score
Maya had a great block on Breanna a few weeks ago, if you haven't seen that. It was just about as impressive as Kiah's as she came out of nowhere to make the play.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Made SportsCenter's Top 10! (#3)

Thumbs up to ESPN for recognizing great plays from the softball World Series. Three of the top ten plays feature women's teams.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
More props for ESPN - #10 recognizes Holly Rowe's battle with cancer in last night's Top 10.

Reaction Score
It helps that Kiah was a volleyball player!

This block was great but Maya's was better! Welcome to the pro's Stewie!!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
That block was a beautiful thing to see, but it was made more fun by the one on one play a little earlier that Breanna beat Kiah on, a nice finger roll wherein she stretched out abnormally far to exceed the reach of Kiah. A very pretty play in itself. Kiah was not happy about it. Then she turned it around with the block. I loved seeing that little bit of back and forth by former Uconn Huskies.
I think Stewie knew that she had to go underhand to beat Kiah, so she did. It was a nice move.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Stewie has to be thinking, "Darn, I can't buy a freaking basket. Every time I think I have an open layup, one of those former UConn players comes out of nowhere to block it. This never happened in college!" ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom