One of the worst timeouts I've seen | Page 2 | The Boneyard

One of the worst timeouts I've seen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Let me get this right: People are defending calling a time out which allowed Memphis to set up a 3 point attempt and move the ball with the clock stopped.

I'm sure Memphis can generate easy 3 point attempts with no time outs under their own basket with 2.3 seconds left.

If you were upset that Memphis got off easy threes prior how don't you see that calling timeout for their benefit only increases their chances of another one?

Unless I missed something there is no advancement in the college game.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
And they didn't foul on the catch. I think the same thing happened last game with Gibbs not fouling.
he explained why they didn't foul on the catch, someone didnt do what they were supposed to do

Reaction Score
Which is worse than just letting the game play out. Makes sense
Those are the 2 choices foul or not, and that's why he called it. Had we lost on a wild 3 people would be calling for KO's head that he didn't foul, right? I actually think that making the first and purposely missing the second is equally risky to a don't foul 3 but I don't know the numbers on it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Unless I missed something there is no advancement in the college game.

Yeah no kidding. If you let them set something up they pass the ball 3/4 of the court. If you don't they get it inbounds under the basket.

Do you think they make a pass like they did without a time out?

Reaction Score
Let me get this right: People are defending calling a time out which allowed Memphis to set up a 3 point attempt and move the ball with the clock stopped.

I'm sure Memphis can generate easy 3 point attempts with no time outs under their own basket with 2.3 seconds left.

If you were upset that Memphis got off easy threes prior how don't you see that calling timeout for their benefit only increases their chances of another one?
It's insanity, as was not fouling when you have a foul to give with less than 5 seconds.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
It's insanity, as was not fouling when you have a foul to give with less than 5 seconds.
legitimate question, did everyone lose their when Calhoun didnt foul?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Those are the 2 choices foul or not, and that's why he called it. Had we lost on a wild 3 people would be calling for KO's head that he didn't foul, right? I actually think that making the first and purposely missing the second is equally risky to a don't foul 3 but I don't know the numbers on it.

They were up 3. So the only way to lose is fouling while someone shoots. Which only happens if you are trying to foul.

There is not any reason in the world to call time out. There isn't any argument where it makes any sense.

That they got lucky not having the contact called and the shot was late and no good doesn't make it any more sensible.

Reaction Score
Yeah no kidding. If you let them set something up they pass the ball 3/4 of the court. If you don't they get it inbounds under the basket.

Do you think they make a pass like they did without a time out?

I don't disagree with your overall point, I just wasn't sure what you meant by that.

Reaction Score

I dont agree. If Memphis had a timeout they would have used it to set up a play. Right there tells you it helps them. I think there will be many opinions on this but mine is that the odds of Memphis getting a good shot off were increased when KO called the timeout. 2.3 seconds without a plan is chaos and a poor inbound pass likely would have occurred. Nobody can say for sure.

Reaction Score
The way we defended the 3 on the previous possession combined with the way have defended the 3 over the past season and a half....i though the timeout was fine.

Reaction Score
I don't disagree with your overall point, I just wasn't sure what you meant by that.
You can grab a player before the ball is inbounded. See it all the time, then there is no attempt but as I said a rebound off a second missed foul shot can be a disaster too. These teams are well practiced on end game situations so no timeout they still get a 3 off.

Reaction Score
whaler11 said:
They were up 3. So the only way to lose is fouling while someone shoots. Which only happens if you are trying to foul. There is not any reason in the world to call time out. There isn't any argument where it makes any sense. That they got lucky not having the contact called and the shot was late and no good doesn't make it any more sensible.

Making sure you are matched up with shooters and that you don't let some long pass result in us getting Devendorfed (with one that actually counts).

Ideally we'd have a smart enough team that they could figure that all out while shooting the foul shots. A TO shouldn't be necessary.

Reaction Score
ollie just said he wanted to foul on the catch

Then I don't like it.

I like Calhoun's old way.

Make the 3 in 2 seconds.

Don't put them on the line for a foul shot and then a miss and putback, especially when UConn is small.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Making sure you are matched up with shooters and that you don't let some long pass result in us getting Devendorfed (with one that actually counts).

Ideally we'd have a smart enough team that they could figure that all out while shooting the foul shots. A TO shouldn't be necessary.

Nobody in college basketball is getting off anything better than a mid court shot to tie if you don't call time out.

Calling time out brings multiple bad outcomes into play - like the one we almost saw.

Reaction Score

Right. A TO shouldn't be needed and it does help Memphis. But if we weren't set up correctly to defend than its probably justified. I can picture this team all huddled up in the paint and nobody out on the arc in this situation which is probably why KO called it.

Reaction Score
I truly believe over 90% of Division I coaches WOULD NOT have called a timeout there. They would have only got a half court desperation shot if UCONN simply played full court Man to Man.

Reaction Score
Reminds me of Tin Cup......"somebody tell this guy" not to use his timeout. If Memphis can make a 3 having to go full court in 2.3 seconds without setting up a play God bless them.....odds are very low! The end of Temple game was worse but both were doozies.

Last edited:

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I don't think it's nearly the egregious decision some are claiming.

Bottom line, he decided that having the ability to set his D and instruct his players properly, so that something insane doesn't happen, was worth Memphis also getting to set something up.

Because it's such a difficult circumstance for Memphis, I understand that thinking. A player doing something illogical, or the defense getting mixed up, or whatever, is one of the few things that could allow them a successful play there. He felt that calling a TO would avoid anything like that.

You can have the offense with no chance to set up and in a mad scramble, but he's responsible for HIS team, and he felt avoiding anything dumb or a mistake on D in that situation was worth it.

Not sure I disagree that the TO is the lesser of 2 choices, but I definitely ser a coach's point of view in calling one there.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don't think it's nearly the egregious decision some are claiming.

Bottom line, he decided that having the ability to set his D and instruct his players properly, so that something insane doesn't happen, was worth Memphis also getting to set something up.

Because it's such a difficult circumstance for Memphis, I understand that thinking. A player doing something illogical, or the defense getting mixed up, or whatever, is one of the few things that could allow them a successful play there. He felt that calling a TO would avoid anything like that.

You can have the offense with no chance to set up and in a mad scramble, but he's responsible for HIS team, and he felt avoiding anything dumb or a mistake on D in that situation was worth it.

Not sure I disagree that the TO is the lesser of 2 choices, but I definitely ser a coach's point of view in calling one there.

It was bad enough on it's own.

Turns out he wanted them to foul. Which is embarrassing stupid.

This is as painful as watching.

Reaction Score
I love Ollie and I still think this season has life... but whoever called that time out should be shot into the sun.
Disagree. He had to make sure they knew the plans. Too many guys losing focus.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Disagree. He had to make sure they knew the plans. Too many guys losing focus.

You don't need a plan when the other team needs to scramble for a midcourt shot to tie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom