OT: - One of the most beautiful places I’ve ever seen | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: One of the most beautiful places I’ve ever seen

Reaction Score
No. It cost €30 to climb a long, narrow stone staircase. Just the day before, we descended a long, wide, donkey-poop filled staircase in Santorini and weren’t in the mood for another stair adventure.

We went kayaking in Kotor Bay instead

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
We did a sea and land tour of Greece two months ago. The approach to Santorini looks like seeing a snow capped mountain because of the white washed buildings and the Acropolis is fabulous although Athens generally isn’t. Your pics make me convinced to see the Croatian area too. Beautiful. Great sounding cruise.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
At JFK, waiting for our flight to Athens, we spotted the very large Mr. David Robinson. He was very gracious, signing autographs and posing for selfies with fans. He was, of course, a First Class passenger on our flight.

View attachment 44508
The Admiral is a first-class kind of guy. Plus, he needs extra leg room. ;)

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
I visited Santorini in 1984. There was one flight daily and you booked your return well in advance because it was a small plane that filled up quickly. No tourist ships at all.

There was foul weather on the day of our scheduled departure so our flight was cancelled. Ended up on a ferry which reeked of diesel fuel. My traveling companion made the mistake of drinking the water on board and got sick.

Santorini was gorgeous. Totally unspoiled..

Reaction Score
Kotor, Montenegro

My youngest son graduated from college in May (yay!) so the family took a celebratory Mediterranean cruise, beginning in Athens, Greece and ending in Barcelona. One of the ports was Kotor, a truly beautiful place.

View attachment 44473
4 OF my daughter left on the Queen Mary for a month in europe. Why? I'll never understand. Europe, is europe but the REAL sites are in the good ole USA..

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Gotta' disagree Broadway. The real sights are in the world. The US certainly has many awesome, beautiful spots but so does most of the rest of the world.

Reaction Score
One night in October I stood by the edge of a lake outside of Meeker Colorado and looked up at the sky. The only thing I saw were the silver of a billion stars. Never saw or felt anything like it since.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Gotta' disagree Broadway. The real sights are in the world. The US certainly has many awesome, beautiful spots but so does most of the rest of the world.
I agree with your last sentence, but I am of the opinion that one should see much of the US sights before going abroad to see natural beauty.

The world as a whole offers more than the US, but the Grand Canyon, the Tetons, Waimea Canyon, the Painted Desert . . . These are unique places and “real sights,” and well worth seeing before taking your sightseeing money to foreign lands.

OTOH, if your big thing is antiquities/history, then the rest of the world has a lot more to offer. Ditto for many types of wildlife.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I have tried multiple times to get “Waimea Canyon” to display properly in the above post. No idea what the issue is.

Okay. Let’s call it “The Grand Canyon of Hawaii.” Kona makes an IPA with the same name.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I have tried multiple times to get “ea Canyon” to display properly in the above post. No idea what the issue is.

Okay. Let’s call it “The Grand Canyon of Hawaii.” Kona makes an IPA with the same name.

The canyon is impressive a
I agree with your last sentence, but I am of the opinion that one should see much of the US sights before going abroad to see natural beauty.

The world as a whole offers more than the US, but the Grand Canyon, the Tetons, ea Canyon, the Painted Desert . . . These are unique places and “real sights,” and well worth seeing before taking your sightseeing money to foreign lands.

OTOH, if your big thing is antiquities/history, then the rest of the world has a lot more to offer. Ditto for many types of wildlife.

I don't disagree that the US has many awesome natural sights and I've visited most but my point is why limit your life experience to just the US when the rest of the world is available? Wiamea Canyon is best known as The Grand Canyon of the Pacific reportedly so named by Twain. On your next visit take the time to hike the Kalalau Trail along the Na Pali Coast.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom