One observer at Boo Williams says Brady better than Betts | The Boneyard

One observer at Boo Williams says Brady better than Betts

Reaction Score
I have no idea who this woman is, but here's what she tweeted. (I don't know how to post a tweet here, like some of you do). I hope it's true!
Markeshia A. Grant, M. Ed
@savvyfive

Unpopular opinion:
Isuneh Brady > Lauren Betts
From what I’ve seen so far this weekend at Boo.
I can humbly tell you as a former NBA scout, Cardoso is better and has more potential….
And does anyone have any news about her transferring to UCONN ????

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I can humbly tell you as a former NBA scout, Cardoso is better and has more potential….
And does anyone have any news about her transferring to UCONN ????
I fear that until Cardoso announces which school she will be transferring to, every thread on the BY, regardless of the subject, will inevitably migrate to Cardoso’s pending transfer sooner or later. In this case it was definitely sooner, taking only 2 posts to change the subject to Cardoso.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
So about a year ago a couple folks on the Louisville board were quoting "sources" who said that Hailey Van Lith was as good as (or better than) Bueckers.

Just sayin'..........
Totally agree. These kids are raw and young. I don't doubt Betts is still getting used to her hugely tall body at 17 or 18 years old. Interestingly enough, Brady has been this "big" for several years and already has a pro-ready body (IMHO).

I saw her play twice in person. She looks just as good in person as she does on video. She is ambidextrous with making layups, has a very competent 3 point shot, has a strong, fairly fit body that already looks WNBA ready. She's at least 6'3", maybe 6'4" now.

So it's very possible Brady has been more impressive than Betts at Boo. But these kids are often rated based on potential. Betts has a lot of really solid skills already, a ton of potential, and you can't teach 6'7". I have no doubt that Tara is ready, willing, and will be able to get the most out of Lauren.

Reaction Score
Don’t Brady and Betts play different positions? I was under the impression that Ice was a four who could also rotate to the five when needed. Betts will never play the four.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'll grant you that, but raise you McCowan. ;)
I don’t know. McGowan had a pretty solid career for Vic Schaefer at MS St and is in her 3rd season in the W. Boothe was a top 5 recruit who flamed out at TX, bounced around at a JUCO for a season then reappeared at Middle TN as a reserve where she averages a fairly pedestrian 10 mpg.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
So about a year ago a couple folks on the Louisville board were quoting "sources" who said that Hailey Van Lith was as good as (or better than) Bueckers.

Just sayin'..........
Not just on Louisville boards.

Reaction Score
Totally agree. These kids are raw and young. I don't doubt Betts is still getting used to her hugely tall body at 17 or 18 years old. Interestingly enough, Brady has been this "big" for several years and already has a pro-ready body (IMHO).

I saw her play twice in person. She looks just as good in person as she does on video. She is ambidextrous with making layups, has a very competent 3 point shot, has a strong, fairly fit body that already looks WNBA ready. She's at least 6'3", maybe 6'4" now.

So it's very possible Brady has been more impressive than Betts at Boo. But these kids are often rated based on potential. Betts has a lot of really solid skills already, a ton of potential, and you can't teach 6'7". I have no doubt that Tara is ready, willing, and will be able to get the most out of Lauren.
Good points made. And unless Betts' game changes a lot, it's not a good comparison. Different players. Betts is a definite true post at this point, still learning how and when to shoot outside 10 feet. Brady is interchangeable between the low and high post. She'll be a load inside when she has some kids who know how to get it into her on her spots. But where she'll really hurt teams will be in the pick and pop and rolling off a high screen. Her shooting range is great for any size kid. And her ceiling will be silly once/if she hooks up with a good fitness trainer.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I don’t know. McGowan had a pretty solid career for Vic Schaefer at MS St and is in her 3rd season in the W. Boothe was a top 5 recruit who flamed out at TX, bounced around at a JUCO for a season then reappeared at Middle TN as a reserve where she averages a fairly pedestrian 10 mpg.
What I meant was that while Booth was highly rated and flamed out, McCowan was slightly lower ranked, but made huge improvements and ended her career as a 1st round WNBA draft pick. So I was saying that for every flamout, there are more examples of players who had lots of potential, and realized it during their college years. Sorry if that wasn't clear!!

Reaction Score
Syracuse classes do not end until May 14th. You will not here about where she is going until AFTER that date.
That makes no sense. Several of her teammates have already identified their new schools.

Reaction Score
She may be waiting to see what sort of players transfer in and just entered the portal to keep her options open. In todays reality she could always stay a year and transfer out for her Jr Year. Right now the transfer portal is clogged and a mess. Not really a good year to transfer. Might be better to wait for next season.

Reaction Score
What I meant was that while Booth was highly rated and flamed out, McCowan was slightly lower ranked, but made huge improvements and ended her career as a 1st round WNBA draft pick. So I was saying that for every flamout, there are more examples of players who had lots of potential, and realized it during their college years. Sorry if that wasn't clear!!
It was perfectly clear to me. In respect to Booth, she had a number of red flags that revealed themselve in her Jr year in high school that pretty much were predictive of her future. Some people were so enamoured with her physical potential that they ignored the bad signs.

Some players also peak earlier than other, so we can never really say what their end potential will turn out. I have seen players that peaked as freshman in high school and never got much better. Players can develop skills but are somewhat limited by their physical assests. Some players mature early while other do so later.

Reaction Score

Just sayin'..........
Hailey Van Lith's loosing and flying hairs is better than Paige but nothing else.

Reaction Score
She may be waiting to see what sort of players transfer in and just entered the portal to keep her options open. In todays reality she could always stay a year and transfer out for her Jr Year. Right now the transfer portal is clogged and a mess. Not really a good year to transfer. Might be better to wait for next season.
There are Power 5 programs which has just changed coaches, two of them high in academics (Lawson is basically new at Duke especially since they cancelled this season): LSU, Vanderbilt and Duke. They could use her, so why wouldn't she listen? No point in considering UConn, it's very crowded with DeBerry, Brady and Patterson, along with Dorka and Aaliyah, not to mention Liv since transfers can be eligible right away....all of whom are more mobile than her and can run full court faster and more suitable to the running game played by UConn.

More likely, as the two newest high-profile coaching changes happened, she waits to see what might develop. Then, too, there is Wisconsin with a new coach. That's two recent assistants at UConn and one Hall of Famer.....worth waiting a little bit to see what happens. But her choices are not limited to all these new ones - if she joins Maryland, that could make them elite competition for the NC. All of the above programs would be happy to have someone like her in their team, don't you think?

So let's leave Cardoso alone to make her choice without our wishes (you know that the number of supplications can influence the Universe in deciding the outcome of things).

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
When I read "potential" I think of that player named Boothe. :rolleyes:
Sure “potential not realized”. But if I recall correctly when you were watching Paige play in HS you remarked that she had great potential. Some potential is never realized.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
That makes no sense. Several of her teammates have already identified their new schools.
That poster used the word "here" instead of "hear". Maybe that was code that she is coming "here" to UConn. Also, if Brady is better than Betts, that settles it, UConn does not need Cardoso.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom