2024 Recruiting: - One more potential add? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

2024 Recruiting: One more potential add?

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
Why Can't Stewart put on some weight on his frame and come back like Karaban did for his sophomore year?
Stewart is already stronger than Karaban. I forgot which game but at the end of the season Karaban got posted up 3 times in a row and the guy made all the shots. Hurley put Stewart in to replace Alex and they didn’t try to post up Stewart.

Reaction Score
Who is this 6'7" Triple double machine I must of missed him? I'm guessing you mean 6'4" Newton. I think with McNeely, Mahaney, improved Ball, Improved Stewart and Diarra we will be a better 3 pt shooting team next year. We won't have someone like Castle dragging or Newton Dragging down our %. I agree we might be lighter on rebound and interior D but we are hoping we make that up with the 3 ball on offense.
Newton is accused of dragging down our 3 pt % but how many people mention that he was the one designated to shoot when our offense flubbed and there was 1 second on the clock?

Reaction Score
Maybe the next time someone’s cries about misspelling names, using abbreviations, or mixes first and last names in a single post, it’ll never happen again?
I'm not crying. I enjoy the fun I get to poke.

Reaction Score
I like solo a lot but what has he done to be anointed a starter? Mahaney is the only one that should expect to start from that group.

Really Stewart either. Both him and Ball averaged about 10 mpg, and outside of his games against Marquette and St. John's in the Big East tournament he didn't show a lot.

Both Ball and Stewart will need to earn starting roles. I think it's most likely Diarra/Mahaney/McNeeley begin the season starting, with Ball and Stewart playing key roles off the bench.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Is there a personal chef on the staff?

Or, is there a BY volunteer who will cook and bring daily meals?
You'd be surprised. Athletic Training tables have some tasty offerings, but often have specific player menus to meet their training goals. Complete with weigh-ins and body fat checks.

Reaction Score
Ross isn’t a PF
bendm said:
i really dont like seeing ross as our backup PF. he's 6'7 190 lbs soaking wet. closer to a 2 than a 4.

Your argument was that he was too light. I said he can gain 10+easily over the summer. He may not be a PF, but then don’t say it’s because of weight

Reaction Score
Really Stewart either. Both him and Ball averaged about 10 mpg, and outside of his games against Marquette and St. John's in the Big East tournament he didn't show a lot.

Both Ball and Stewart will need to earn starting roles. I think it's most likely Diarra/Mahaney/McNeeley begin the season starting, with Ball and Stewart playing key roles off the bench.
This is interesting. Ball and Stewart didn't show a lot (you actually need to rewatch some NCAA tourney games if you think Stewart didn't show) but...

...McNeeley, someone who has never played college ball, gets plugged right in.

Reaction Score
bendm said:
i really dont like seeing ross as our backup PF. he's 6'7 190 lbs soaking wet. closer to a 2 than a 4.

Your argument was that he was too light. I said he can gain 10+easily over the summer. He may not be a PF, but then don’t say it’s because of weight
So were you arguing with me just for the sake of it or do you actually think he’s a PF? And I did say he’s closer to a SG then a PF…that means I don’t think he’s a PF

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Pryor is who I want if AK doesn't come back but I'm not sold Hurley will replace like with like. I can see him going the more developmental route with this and letting Stewart take over the 4. He actually can create offense off the dribble and shoot from both inside and outside. He plays decent D too but is inconsistent player. I'm sure under Hurley's staff he would really shine and become more consistent.
I agree on the Hurley side. Pryor is a guy who needs his looks. Abraham is also someone who may step in and bring the need for immediate minutes too, kids a dawg.

But as always I trust Dan Kimani Luke and Tom and know whatever they decide is what's best

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
3peat is crazy talk, but then again so was repeat. So who knows, anything is possible
It is only crazy if you don't believe and I do believe in this staff

Reaction Score
I agree on the Hurley side. Pryor is a guy who needs his looks. Abraham is also someone who may step in and bring the need for immediate minutes too, kids a dawg.

But as always I trust Dan Kimani Luke and Tom and know whatever they decide is what's best

Thought I was going to have to plug Abraham myself I finally found a winner last reply. Agree, don’t sell this kid short on helping a few minutes here and there. Who knows maybe even more, physical kid he will get some minutes.

Reaction Score
So were you arguing with me just for the sake of it or do you actually think he’s a PF? And I did say he’s closer to a SG then a PF…that means I don’t think he’s a PF
My comment based on your initial post was that it’s easy for a college kid in his environment to put on muscle. They have trainers and a chef.
U said he’s too light to be PF. I didn’t

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
This is interesting. Ball and Stewart didn't show a lot (you actually need to rewatch some NCAA tourney games if you think Stewart didn't show) but...

Castle started

Reaction Score

Steph Castle never played college ball and he was plugged right in, that's what happens with the most talented players. This isn't the 1960's, there's no more freshman teams.

Reaction Score
My comment based on your initial post was that it’s easy for a college kid in his environment to put on muscle. They have trainers and a chef.
U said he’s too light to be PF. I didn’t
He is too light and even if he put on 10 lbs this summer he’s still not a PF. When I said he’s closer to a SG than a PF i didn’t mean in terms of just his weight, you inferred that and started a trivial argument about the miracles of weight gain science so let’s leave it there for the night.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
One piece we didn't have last year is a body to guard really physical 4's, where they could back down AK at ease. No one behind AK that can really guard that kind of guy either, guys like Reneau, Ingram, etc. I would think if he did anything, it would be just to get a body for depth in the event we played a team with a really strong PF. That, or get a developmental mid major. One thing I've heard Pope is doing is holding a couple spots open for guys that enter draft, then pull out. Always good to have a spot for opportunistic reasons as you never know how things will fall these days.
How many of those guys realistically exist?

Reaction Score

You think Stewart showed enough to easily say he could fill in for AK and average 10 plus a game? I think he can rebound and defend as well but we haven’t seen the offense.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
This. I think we’ve done a great job replacing (at least) four starters and making ourselves competitive again. And teams win basketball games, not individual players. But I’m hard pressed to see how we’re going to be as good with the present roster (even with AK) as we were the last two years.

I think this roster is shaping up pretty comparably to any roster we’ve had.

We’ll never be the same as we were with Clingan. But a top 2 seed should be expected with our current makeup.

Reaction Score
Maybe something like.

Diarra(25)-Mahaney(15)
Liam(25)-Mahaney(10)-Solo(5)
Stewart(25)-Solo(15)
Alex(30)-Ross or Abraham(10)
Center(20)-Center(20)

Nowell could push Solo and Ross/Abraham for the 9th spot, but I think a lineup like this fits our personnel better. Really depends on Liam and/or Stewart’s ability to be a support ball handler.
Steward and Solo could be our weak spot unless they have improved from last season. The shooting and ball handling .

Reaction Score
The only difference between Ross and Stewart is 10 pounds.
Luka doncic is big enough to play PF too but that doesn’t mean he is one, he’s an PG and Ross is a wing. And Im not 100% sold on stew as our starting PF to begin with.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
I’m starting to think Mahaney might be a super sub 6th man next year, playing close to starters minutes. I just think it would make more sense given our personnel.
Coming in with Nowell - the pair subbing out Hass and Solo? Probably as potent as the starters by the end of the season. Danny's playing with chess pieces and everyone else's are flat, red and black.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom