OT: - One Last Time Around - Your Favorite Songs/Artists | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: One Last Time Around - Your Favorite Songs/Artists

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Favorite bands would be a difficult list. Lemme start out with favorite bands working today. The first isn't really a band, but a guy, Arjen Lucassen, who has had about 4 or 5 bands and projects in the 2000's. This is from The Gentle Storm, a band/project he did with vocalist/lyricist Anneke van Giersbergen. The album is based on a woman's (alleged) diary from the 16th or 17th century and her thoughts when he's off to sea.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Epica is kind of the evolution of 70's bands like Renaissance. Their vocalist, Simone Simons, has some pipes.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Last one for today. Seven Spires are an American band who met as students at the Berklee College of Music. Their vocalist/keys player/composer/lyricist is my favorite young singer out there. I've never heard a voice like hers.

Reaction Score
Always been partial to Michael Franks and his soft bluesy jazz.

"Its Just Like Key Largo,
Melvyn Douglas and Garbo,
like Bogie and Lauren Bacall.
You try to be cool but,
dance like two fools at the bar".....

Reaction Score
Not my favorite, though still a catchy tune, but the backstory is a study in what generates the creative process. In 1979, a troubled 16 year old girl took a gun to school in San Diego, and shot a couple of adults and several students. After the police arrested her, they asked her why she did it. She responded "I don't like Mondays".
Bob Geldorf, lead singer of the Boomtown Rats, was incredulous when reading about her response. He felt compelled to write a song about the incident. Something that probably would not be done today.
Geldorf later stated that he regretted writing the song in that it gave the perpetrator even more notoriety.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
This combines two of my favorites. Rita Hayworth and Harry Belafonte.
I'm also a fan of Belafonte. Surprisingly, I first heard this song, Jump in the Line, in the movie Beetlejuice.

While searching for a video of Begin the Beguine, I came across this video taken from the movie Broadway Melody of 1940. Fred Astaire and Elanor Powell with a great Tap routine. My Dad would have loved this.

Reaction Score
Santana's 2nd album - Abraxas. Almost hard to beleive a bunch of young kids from California put this album together and released it in 1970. Killer acoustic piano, congas, drums, Hammond organ and Carlos Santana's very distinctive guitar are the prime instruments.

"Incident at Neshabur" is a gorgeous jazz/rock fusion piece and an for the ears:

Reaction Score
Last one for today. Seven Spires are an American band who met as students at the Berklee College of Music. Their vocalist/keys player/composer/lyricist is my favorite young singer out there. I've never heard a voice like hers.

Yes, quite a sound. Here's something you should like from "the source." Start practicing! (Adrienne Cowan of Seven Spires.)

Reaction Score
There's a band out on the highway
They're high steppin' into town
It's a rainbow full of sound
It's fireworks, calliopes and clowns
Everybody dancin'...

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Yes, quite a sound. Here's something you should like from "the source." Start practicing! (Adrienne Cowan of Seven Spires.)

Yeah, she's something isn't she? Opera, show tunes, jazz, and . . . death growls. She does a really interesting version of "All I ask of you" from Phantom, in which she sings Christine's part and growls the Phantom's part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom