One Game In With SNY | Page 2 | The Boneyard

One Game In With SNY

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I split time between CT and FL so have dealt with streaming from CPTV for years - I loved the fact that I could get to watch the games on line when out of the CPTV area and dealt with the issues of streaming (drops, freezes, varying quality, etc.) That is the life of streaming video. And while I understand disappointment about not getting everything on the streaming, the most important thing is games. And I can understand folks new to streaming that did have problems being disappointed in the difference between that and broadcast TV.
For a lot of us though, the chance to get off the streaming platform is a huge benefit. As I have said in other threads, if you have the option to add SNY in a sports pack to you cable or sattelite program it is worth the few extra dollars to do so for the 5 month season. It should only cost a few dollars more than the straming and is far superior. And you do get a lot of other good programming.
And as far as production values and on air talent and having an actual half time show - wow. Really good and likely to get better as they get into their flow!

Reaction Score
You saw what they were offering when you signed up for the streaming. What they said in May or whatever in the press release is completely irrelevant when they wrote everything out for you on the page where you signed up.

And "All-Access" is very commonly used as a term meaning that you see "behind the scenes" access to the team. ESPN and others use the term all the time.

John, I didn't realize that when you arrived, the Boneyard got a member who could represent SNY's interests when things went wrong, sort of like the role Harriet played for CPTV. Will we be able to go to you with complaints about the talent or service? Or perhaps you'll be able to preview upcoming features they'll be showing. They way you write, it certainly seems like you're working for them.

I'll say this one more time, perhaps more clearly, so others, if not you, will get the point. There is no question that, read a certain way, SNY is delivering exactly what they said they were going to when we signed up. HOWEVER, when they first announced their programming, they made it seem that streaming customers would get exactly the same services that cable and satellite customers would get. So streaming customers, primed by what they read when the deal was announced, read the actual agreement in a somewhat different way. For example, when it said we would get "segments," I, and I suspect others, assumed we would get the pre- and post-game segments that the others got, not post-produced 2 and 3 minute summaries. And it does not appear, at this time, that we are getting the Geno show, so I don't know how that promise is being kept, except, again, through 2 and 3 minute summaries of Geno.

And your rationale for the definition of "All Access" is Jesuitical at best. Since they were making such a big deal about the show to all audiences, including those of us who bought the streaming package, it is perfectly reasonable for us to think that the access referred to the people who could see the show. After all, if, as you suggest, it refers to the access SNY crews were afforded as they taped the show, they have exactly that same access -- in practices, with the coaches before and after games, etc. right now, yet they are not promoting those segments as "All Access." Or maybe those segments are a different kind of segment, depending on how SNY has redefined the word this week.

I'll say this again, too. SNY is a B-to-B company. They have no concept of customer service -- witness the fact that I was on hold for 52 minutes trying to get someone to help with a technical issue. They are designed to provide service to the cable and satellite folks, and get an infinitesimally small amount of money from this streaming deal. So I get that. But when a company adopts a new model, they have to expect they will do some things a little differently so they can accommodate the needs of the retail crowd, small though it may be. It is unfortunate that they didn't really figure that out, or at least it appears they didn't.

Gotta tell ya, I worked in TV for 8 years and have written promotional and ad copy, some of it online, for decades. I know the difference between stretching a promotion and bullxxxt, and that promo, in terms of accuracy, is bullxxxt.

I'm going to look into a Direct TV package. Doubt I can get it out here, and not sure it's worth the extra cost, but I'll see, anyway.

Ok. Off the soapbox. It was a great game, the SNY presentation was quite good, especially for a new group just getting it together, and it's going to be a great season.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
SNY pregame game and post game were terrific. Great job. For us fanatics and die hards its non stop UConn and I love it.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
John, I didn't realize that when you arrived, the Boneyard got a member who could represent SNY's interests when things went wrong, sort of like the role Harriet played for CPTV. Will we be able to go to you with complaints about the talent or service? Or perhaps you'll be able to preview upcoming features they'll be showing. They way you write, it certainly seems like you're working for them.

I'll say this one more time, perhaps more clearly, so others, if not you, will get the point. There is no question that, read a certain way, SNY is delivering exactly what they said they were going to when we signed up. HOWEVER, when they first announced their programming, they made it seem that streaming customers would get exactly the same services that cable and satellite customers would get. So streaming customers, primed by what they read when the deal was announced, read the actual agreement in a somewhat different way. For example, when it said we would get "segments," I, and I suspect others, assumed we would get the pre- and post-game segments that the others got, not post-produced 2 and 3 minute summaries. And it does not appear, at this time, that we are getting the Geno show, so I don't know how that promise is being kept, except, again, through 2 and 3 minute summaries of Geno.

And your rationale for the definition of "All Access" is Jesuitical at best. Since they were making such a big deal about the show to all audiences, including those of us who bought the streaming package, it is perfectly reasonable for us to think that the access referred to the people who could see the show. After all, if, as you suggest, it refers to the access SNY crews were afforded as they taped the show, they have exactly that same access -- in practices, with the coaches before and after games, etc. right now, yet they are not promoting those segments as "All Access." Or maybe those segments are a different kind of segment, depending on how SNY has redefined the word this week.

It was a great game, the SNY presentation was quite good, especially for a new group just getting it together, and it's going to be a great season.
Tomcat, I agree with you completely. When I see they are providing the game coverage, why would I assume that this does NOT include the pre and post game coverage?

As far as the 'segments', it would have been much more appropriate for them to say 'clips from the Geno show' or 'clips from other feature SNY programming'.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
With that said, the the picture was amazing and loved that I didn't even need the NexDef add-on on my Google TV to get an excellent picture. I will say that my laptop that has the NexDef was running almost 10 seconds in delay of my TV that did not. I am not sure if this was the case for everyone.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
While I understand the frustration of bruin and tomcat. "Segments" is essentially the same as "clips" and does imply that it is not the whole show. Segments are a portion not a totality. It definitely could have been clearer but I would never interprete segments to all the material. On the otherhand I have no understanding at all why they wouldn't make all material available for streaming, especially, if they created it and the copyrights are under their control.

Reaction Score
I agree, Ice. Although I was disappointed with not getting the pregame, etc. (and I did assume I would), after rereading the list of what was included in the streaming package I think it was pretty clear what 'segments' meant. I obviously didn't realize that when I signed up, but I would've signed up nonetheless. That said, I hope they expand the streaming package to include everything that the broadcast customers get. Like you said, it's their content and it would go a long way to endear past CPTV streamers like myself to SNY. They must realize how rabid most of us UConn fans are and that we want every second of everything related to the team...

Reaction Score
SNY seems to be taking the whole "tv home of uconn women's basketball" thing very seriously. They obviously want to put out a great product and I thought it was very successful.

Pre-game and post-game were great; Kara Wolters was a great choice for studio analyst and she and Gary Apple (sp?) worked well off each other. I liked that they showed clips after the game and gave us the numbers from the game and discussed it and I'm glad they showed a portion of Geno's press conference.

In-game commentary was pretty good, I don't remember any rambling from the male commentator (can't remember his name) and he focused on calling the game, even in garbage time. Even Meghan was improved in this new setting, she was calling the game and added in tidbits when necessary.

The Huskies All-Access show was a great look at the team, the coaches, and what it's like to be at a UConn practice.

The hour long preview show was a little too long (probably only needed to be 30 minutes) but they got good information from Geno and talked about individual players and the overall team.

I'm looking forward to the Geno Show and the other specials they will have over the next few months.

Overall, I am very pleased with the SNY product so far and I am really excited to see how they change and improve over the next few months. Remember, this was only the first week and game of coverage and I am already thrilled!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
CT Girl - like your comments.
Just wanted to add that I thought the sideline reporter was very good as well - don't remember her name - is she ex Uconn as well? Didn't Geno make a crack about her never talking when she was on the team so he was looking forward to a new experience?

Reaction Score
CT Girl - like your comments.
Just wanted to add that I thought the sideline reporter was very good as well - don't remember her name - is she ex Uconn as well? Didn't Geno make a crack about her never talking when she was on the team so he was looking forward to a new experience?

I agree, she was very good. I just looked her up, her name is Kerith Burke and I don't think she went to UConn. I think that Geno crack was in reference to Debbie (Baer) Fiske who is now doing the games on WTIC as Kara's replacement.

I also looked up the male commentator, his name is Andrew Catalon.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I agree, she was very good. I just looked her up, her name is Kerith Burke and I don't think she went to UConn. I think that Geno crack was in reference to Debbie (Baer) Fiske who is now doing the games on WTIC as Kara's replacement.

I also looked up the male commentator, his name is Andrew Catalon.
Thanks - the quote stood out, who Geno was refering to did not! Anyway, I thought she was very good even if she didn't go to Uconn.

Reaction Score

I'll say this again, too. SNY is a B-to-B company. They have no concept of customer service -- witness the fact that I was on hold for 52 minutes trying to get someone to help with a technical issue. They are designed to provide service to the cable and satellite folks, and get an infinitesimally small amount of money from this streaming deal. So I get that. But when a company adopts a new model, they have to expect they will do some things a little differently so they can accommodate the needs of the retail crowd, small though it may be. It is unfortunate that they didn't really figure that out, or at least it appears they didn't.

Gotta tell ya, I worked in TV for 8 years and have written promotional and ad copy, some of it online, for decades. I know the difference between stretching a promotion and bullxxxt, and that promo, in terms of accuracy, is bullxxxt.

I'm going to look into a Direct TV package. Doubt I can get it out here, and not sure it's worth the extra cost, but I'll see, anyway.

Ok. Off the soapbox. It was a great game, the SNY presentation was quite good, especially for a new group just getting it together, and it's going to be a great season.

First off, I'm not sure if that was supposed to be a clever insult or what, but obviously I do not work for SNY. We're both adults here, you don't have to be so condescending.

My biggest problem is that your posts are full of revisionist history. SNY never said anything about online streaming when they first announced the deal. I looked through three articles from May and none of them mention anything about the streaming. I specifically remember there being a lot of posts on this board after the deal was announced wondering whether or not there would be online streaming.

And again, "All-Access" is a very, very common term in sports programming. SNY uses the term "All-Access" in their commercials highlighting the men's basketball and football programming. On a related note, SNY doesn't even offer streaming of the games for MBB and football. Watch ESPNU and they'll have all-access shows on almost once a day. Here's a link describing the college football all-access shows on ESPNU.

Please, just show me one piece of evidence that shows that SNY "made it seem that streaming customers would get exactly the same services that cable and satellite customers would get".

I'll hang up and listen off-air.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Games come on Cable SNY, Computer Streaming, and/or Direct TV. No free lunch, pay the piper…everyone selects the one that is best for them or the one that is available. We all get to watch if we want. How neat is that.

I am unsure what the problem is.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
No, John, we didn't. When SNY was promoting their broadcast package, they heavily mentioned all the specials, before game & after game programming. No where did they say "This is just for our TV viewers, who get SNY as part of their cable package. All of you folks that we've convinced to pay an addition $60 will, in fact, get none of the additional program features." We're not paying $60 to get the same as everybody else. We thought we were. We are getting substantially less.

I copied the uconnhuskies.tv description page from SNY. It seems pretty clear to me.

UConnHuskies.TV

Watch UConn Women's Basketball Streamed Live and On-Demand

Subscribe Today

Annual $59.95
Monthly $19.95
*Annual subscription includes
archive access through the offseason.
uconn_laptop_nodemo.png

System Requirements | FAQs | Download Center
UConn Women's Basketball has arrived on SNY.tv for the 2012-13 season. Watch all the action as Geno Auriemma's Huskies vie for their eighth national championship.
FEATURES INCLUDE:

• HD quality streaming of every SNY UConn Women's Basketball game LIVE (see full schedule below)
  • DVR controls
  • In-game highlights
  • Full-game archives on-demand
  • Geno Auriemma Coach's Show segments
  • Feature segments from SNY programming
  • Press conferences and more!
My suggestion is that 1) you lobby your local cable to included SNY and/or 2) you use the Boneyard to get people to email and call SNY to lobby to have the online program include more content.

I have far more and better coverage of the Huskies this year. I have to say I enjoyed it so far and I am looking forward to rest of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom