One Day ... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

One Day ...

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Damn Statistics.

Funny thing: I took multiple high level Stat classes both at UConn and then Grad School. What do you think the bias is in the Sagarin? It is in the Math.

The Truth is Aresco put together 12 Universities eager to rise in the FBS. He did not get all of them (though he tried with Boise). Tulane was pitiful when we heard they were invited; that was a huge projection. (I grant you that) ECU is actually floundering; whereas, I expected them to be tough. In general, each of these schools/Programs will spend money and eagerly compete. There are several quick examples (UH Levine to Hermann; Tulane Johnson to Fritz; USF Holtz to Taggert to Strong). MEMPHIS. There's no way SMU will suck in the long term.

We love to think we belong to the P5 and we are outraged that we haven't risen. The AAC, frankly, is our Football Peer group. Yankee Conference did not prepare us to be in the same league as Syracuse or Pitt. HOWEVER, my view is Syracuse, Vandy, Baylor, Wake, Duke will all find themselves failing at some point with the Moneymaking CapitalImprovementSpending Cheaters amongst them. And few are prepared to make Public Private Partnerships like YUM Center that rips taxpayer money into a sports hole.

We may find an opportunity to rise to P5 at some point. And whaler11 may get that Giselle Bundchen type househusband role. OUR Program/AD must continue to rise in all sports and put the necessary funding forth - in spite of Connecticut's struggles.

You just seem to ignore statistics that don't fit your narrative. The Sagarin isn't the end all be all, but just a data point that shows what we all know: the old Big East was a better top to bottom league than the AAC.

The AAC is still a tough league at the top of the conference, no doubt about it, but the bottom half (us included) are embarrassments to the "P6" moniker.

Where do you think the money is coming from for the majority of our schools? Aside from UConn, all of our other public institutions are a distant second, third, or fourth in terms of state support. As for UConn, have you seen our subsidy? How does that disappear?

You list the private schools in the P5 that you foresee financial difficulty going forward, but are all in on SMU, Tulsa. At least you can admit Tulane is a lost cause.

The AAC is a very competitive league and we should be so lucky in a couple years to try and contend in our division. That doesn't mean it's better on the field than what we played in the past or that the future is bright just because you say it is.

Reaction Score
You just seem to ignore statistics that don't fit your narrative. The Sagarin isn't the end all be all, but just a data point that shows what we all know: the old Big East was a better top to bottom league than the AAC.

The AAC is still a tough league at the top of the conference, no doubt about it, but the bottom half (us included) are embarrassments to the "P6" moniker.

Where do you think the money is coming from for the majority of our schools? Aside from UConn, all of our other public institutions are a distant second, third, or fourth in terms of state support. As for UConn, have you seen our subsidy? How does that disappear?

You list the private schools in the P5 that you foresee financial difficulty going forward, but are all in on SMU, Tulsa. At least you can admit Tulane is a lost cause.

The AAC is a very competitive league and we should be so lucky in a couple years to try and contend in our division. That doesn't mean it's better on the field than what we played in the past or that the future is bright just because you say it is.

Kettle!

Sagarin is flawed. However, your point is taken: our $84m Revenue of 2016-2017 is dropping fast.

Tulane, with Fritz, is going to rise. SMU and Tulsa are not going to de-emphasize Football anytime soon.

Our example is a good starting point: a Pasqualoni/Diaco flub in coaching hires easily gets us to a BAD position in a Football Program. The arc of Greg Robinson to Babers is also interesting and instructive. Spaziani. I don't think any of the AAC Universities - at the moment - can be labeled the Cleveland Browns: destined to 7 years of bad Football. I remain a Edsall apologist; and think all of the 12 are fighting to climb in FBS. I thought Edsall 1.0 fought hard to pick off the formerly Tradition based Pitt/Cuse. I don't think there is much room between the P5 bottom and the AAC in any Sagarin or relevant Power grid. A Illini or Indiana or Vandy or Rutgers isn't a leap above.

I don't think it is a fair point to think AAC bottom teams (including us) will dwell in the uncompetitive category; particularly after watching the relative recent years of Temple or Memphis (both fit categories of pitiless in Football at some point in the last decades).

I sat through a bunch of competitive Big East games.

Reaction Score
We had a better record head to head against Pitt and Cuse. Were having a southern presence again as in Ga.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

I’m not sure how many times someone can get dunked on and keep coming back for more - but we are finding out.

The AAC has a few good teams at the top and absolute dregs afterwards.

If you ignore that UConn, Tulane, Tulsa, ECU, SMU and Temple don’t exist it’s a good league.

Week 1 was the worst week the league has ever had - P6 is stupider than ever.

Thankfully SMU and Tulsa are trying. Imagine how bad North Texas would whip SMU otherwise. It was 27-1 in first downs at one point in that game. Twenty Seven to One.

Reaction Score
I haven’t RE-watched the game. I did watch Terry & Swenson. I liked the latter. Sterling jumped into my view a few times. Other? I have hope for Kevon Jones who’s athletic with size. But this is crying for one - a Lutrus & Bama arrived together - and I didn’t see that.

Of course, Lutrus and 'Bama both got to redshirt.

Reaction Score
I can't agree enough. "Fans" that don't go to games criticizing fans that do can all go jump in the lake.

There really is little in sports life worse than hearing folks not shelling out for tickets telling those of us that do that our behavior is hurting the program. It's posters like that that make me wonder if the internet is a good thing.

Reaction Score
I’m not sure how many times someone can get dunked on and keep coming back for more - but we are finding out.

The AAC has a few good teams at the top and absolute dregs afterwards.

If you ignore that UConn, Tulane, Tulsa, ECU, SMU and Temple don’t exist it’s a good league.

Week 1 was the worst week the league has ever had - P6 is stupider than ever.

Thankfully SMU and Tulsa are trying. Imagine how bad North Texas would whip SMU otherwise. It was 27-1 in first downs at one point in that game. Twenty Seven to One.

27 to 1 ... ok - you made your point.

Of course, the details are kinda left at the altar. It ain't the North Texas of the last decade (where they regularly got beat 50-o) & that was Dykes first game. But OUCH.

And Tulane losing to THIS Wake is not awful.

I find myself watching Boise-Troy & UConn-UCF one after another. I am hopelessly optimistic as we do look better (Pindell) than Troy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom