One Day ... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

One Day ...

Reaction Score
The AAC in 2018 is a bigger challenge for UConn in the fact they we no longer have the Big East BCS bid and are by and large up against teams in fertile recruiting areas whose profile is actually elevated by the AAC. I still think the competition was better in the 8 team Big East top to bottom.

While the top of the league, as you mention, is probably just as good as the old Big East (maybe aside from a few of the WVU Pat White teams), the bottom third of the AAC is way worse than what we faced in the Big East.

It's going to be hard for UConn to compete with UCF and Houston going forward, but the fact were stuck at the bottom with ECU, Tulane, and SMU is a real indictment of how far we've fell.

Right or wrong Edsall made the determination that the roster left him by his predecessor was totally inadequate. I tend to think he’s right. So he’s recruiting and playing his guys and they will be able to run timed with a stopwatch as opposed to a sundial.

That process will take a bit longer. But, when we were in the Big East he always recruited kids off the radar and had no problem competing with the Pitts, Rutgers, etc. in better recruiting territories. Edsall will get us to the top of this conference.

Reaction Score
You seem to get everyone is different but that you can still judge people who don’t sit through the games when you yourself don’t do it.

And I was there until the end - I just can’t take people criticizing people who leave. The games suck.

Donations aren’t tax deductible and Marc Surh was a sophomore during the dream season.

You didn't read it correctly. We always stayed to the end, no matter how bad it was. In fact, even when we lost the Wednesday night games at the Big East we stayed to the championship and put up with all the female Syracuse fans with their orange laces in their sneakers and all the Georgetown guys with their yellow ties (big deal in the 80's if you weren't around then). It got us better prepared for 1990 when Derrick Coleman was pretty cocky at halftime but pretty subdued at the end of the game. One of the more enjoyable Syracuse moments of all time.

I didn't mean tickets were deductible. I meant donate the money instead of buying the tickets. UConn would be happy to get the money either way.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I was as critical of Randy as anyone during his first stint. I stand by those criticisms. Just because he was replaced by grandpa and psycho doesn't make his inadequacies just go away.

I also think, from reading and seeing how he interacts, that Randy has changed a lot. I'm hopeful for the future, but this is a very slow build. This is a full gut to the studs and realizing half of those have got rot and you've gotta put new beams in. It takes time.

The one fear I have with Randy is that the recruiting philosophy he built the program on doesn't really work today. I'm not really confident in finding "hidden gems".

Every kid has tape, Hudl, social media, etc. There aren't any secrets. Everyone has access to tape of all these high school kids through YouTube. This isn't 2003 anymore.

Its part of why I shake my head when people suggest looking around Canada more for guys. C'mon. Do you think 128 other programs don't realize they play football in Canada? That those kids have tape? Its Diaco-esque thinking. You can't get blood from a stone.

They've got to get into PA, NJ, MD and get guys.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You didn't read it correctly. We always stayed to the end, no matter how bad it was. In fact, even when we lost the Wednesday night games at the Big East we stayed to the championship and put up with all the female Syracuse fans with their orange laces in their sneakers and all the Georgetown guys with their yellow ties (big deal in the 80's if you weren't around then). It got us better prepared for 1990 when Derrick Coleman was pretty cocky at halftime but pretty subdued at the end of the game. One of the more enjoyable Syracuse moments of all time.

I didn't mean tickets were deductible. I meant donate the money instead of buying the tickets. UConn would be happy to get the money either way.

Donations to the athletic department aren’t deducitble.

We heard you the first 15 times. You are a better fan than people who leave early even though you stopped going to games when they were still good.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I still go and have a good time but it’s actually true the less you care about the score the more fun you’ll have.

I once had season tickets to an 0-11 CFB team. You obviously have to adjust your expectations, but I enjoy the tailgating experience so much, dating back as far as the Yale Bowl in the 1960's, that the games can be viewed as secondary if they have to be. It can still be an enjoyable experience socializing with family and friends, even at 0-11. And we're not going to finish that bad this season.

Reaction Score
I was as critical of Randy as anyone during his first stint. I stand by those criticisms. Just because he was replaced by grandpa and psycho doesn't make his inadequacies just go away.

I also think, from reading and seeing how he interacts, that Randy has changed a lot. I'm hopeful for the future, but this is a very slow build. This is a full gut to the studs and realizing half of those have got rot and you've gotta put new beams in. It takes time.

The one fear I have with Randy is that the recruiting philosophy he built the program on doesn't really work today. I'm not really confident in finding "hidden gems".

Every kid has tape, Hudl, social media, etc. There aren't any secrets. Everyone has access to tape of all these high school kids through YouTube. This isn't 2003 anymore.

Its part of why I shake my head when people suggest looking around Canada more for guys. C'mon. Do you think 128 other programs don't realize they play football in Canada? That those kids have tape? Its Diaco-esque thinking. You can't get blood from a stone.

My biggest fear with Randy is that he left for his " dream job", flopped mightily, and came back with hat in hand, primarily to get his son's coaching career off the ground.

I too sense he has changed. He practically loathed the fan base publicly with his comments at times the 1st go round. He's never going to be a dynamic recruiter, he is developing type whose best quality is identifying prospects whose best football is ahead of them. In that sense I guess he and UConn were perfect for each other, though i don't think neither he or some of usin the fanbase knew it.

He's still quirky as ever. Describing the team as a closed fist before the game, and asking if you were expecting Man Mountain Dean after they got their doors blown off.

Reaction Score
I once had season tickets to an 0-11 CFB team. You obviously have to adjust your expectations, but I enjoy the tailgating experience so much, dating back as far as the Yale Bowl in the 1960's, that the games can be viewed as secondary if they have to be. It can still be an enjoyable experience socializing with family and friends, even at 0-11. And we're not going to finish that bad this season.
They’ll get better eventually. Takes time.

Reaction Score

Zack, I'm one of those who is glad that HCRE has reopened the Canada pipeline. In his first go-around, UConn had multiple Canadian recruits. Subsequent staffs ignored the Great White North. PA, NJ, & MD are part of UCONN's primary recruiting area & the competition is great for those recruits, so EXTENDING the area to Quebec, Ontario, et al is a paramount necessity. Overturn every rock to find the gems. It's the nature of the business. Pasqualoni, who should have known this from his days with the Fruit, let Canadian recruiting slide. Red Pants never knew how to recruit.

Reaction Score
He’s all-in for Corey?
Its crossed my mind. Doesn't mean its remotely true.

Not having a BCS conference to entice players with non BCS offers is a legit worry however.

Reaction Score
Its crossed my mind. Doesn't mean its remotely true.

Not having a BCS conference to entice players with non BCS offers is a legit worry however.
THAT I will give you, but what HCRE CAN offer currently is faster access to playing time as he is trying to recruit talent.

Reaction Score

I’m tired of this argument/ debate - you’re tired of my thoughts on markets.

The Stock Market has this 35 year old theory called the Efficient Market Theory - original paper by Eugene Fama. With lots and less of Professors research followed. A large part of this - why you can’t overachieve in the Stock Market - is perfect and fully available information. So insider trading doesn’t count. Etc etc. I won’t give you the calculus.

You’re arguing all information is known in Football recruitment. All YouTube, Social Media, Evaluator reviews. In places like Chateauquay Quebec & Etobicoke Ontario; let alone Brookfield (CT), Nashua, Far Rockaway and Charlton (MA).

I believe we are light years beyond where we were in 2003. Best example is understanding what Ryan Steinberg’s job is
Ryan Steinberg - Director of Football Operations - UConn Huskies | University of Connecticut Athletics

But not Efficient

Let’s assume there are 128 Ryan Steinbergs.

Position variables
1. Line evaluation. Edsall loves to watch Senior tape. Most P5 Programs are full - 75/80% committed by the fifth HS game. Dylan Niedrowski is a last year example. This will continue to be the case. The Fall kids are ones that remain and impress ... and often choose not to be the third OG or third DE coming to that P5 begins Four stars.
2. Passing game. WRs are often hard to evaluate out of HS film and if kids aren’t frequent combine participants.

80/20 rule
1. “Selling” a kid on your Football team ain’t all that different than “Selling” highly sought qualified residential mortgagees or expensive home improvement items. You’re not gonna find 128 in Canada nor NH or Long Island or Albany. Not Connecticut HS either.
Florida? Georgia? Texas? That’s where you find everybody and know everything
I believe WE - UCONN- still have a comparative advantage in some relevant locations.
2. The Good News - Prep Schools in NE and on the NY eastern half are far more important than2003. Things changed. Cheshire Academy is one of about 8 we can name off the top of our head nearby that produce Post-Grad or regular footballers. In proximity. Both parents and talent know this; far more prevalent path. They are near.

The statement that we can’t connect and rely on “under the radar” kids isn’t really true - Peart, Van De Mark, Buss, McLean, Tarbutt. We can still be a “Go To School “ for Ontario and Quebec. Only Buffalo seems to also target this regularly. The former reliable regional recruiting by home assistants - Todd Orlando & Rob Ambrose & Terry Richardson & Mike Foley - hasn’t really emerged these early years of HCRE 2.0. We have to be great and prepared at Prep School Football. The most yield needs to still be PA, NJ, MA, DC/MD/VA and Florida. We don’t get 4 Stars.

I do think there are far more QBs available that are quality in 2018 than 2003.

I think the first 20 months of HCRE 2.0 it’s fair to say: he has a far better handle in what works recruiting at UCONN and at this level than PP or Diaco. (Whipple- btw - is very interesting). He has changed. This AAC ain’t the same ballgame as most of the old conference. He’s adapting.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

The Stock Market has this 35 year old theory called the Efficient Market Theory - original paper by Eugene Fama. With lots and less of Professors research followed. A large part of this - why you can’t overachieve in the Stock Market - is perfect and fully available information. So insider trading doesn’t count. Etc etc. I won’t give you the calculus.

You’re arguing all information is known in Football recruitment. All YouTube, Social Media, Evaluator reviews. In places like Chateauquay Quebec & Etobicoke Ontario; let alone Brookfield (CT), Nashua, Far Rockaway and Charlton (MA).

I believe we are light years beyond where we were in 2003. Best example is understanding what Ryan Steinberg’s job is
Ryan Steinberg - Director of Football Operations - UConn Huskies | University of Connecticut Athletics

But not Efficient

Position variables
1. Line evaluation. Edsall loves to watch Senior tape. Most P5 Programs are full - 75/80% committed by the fifth HS game. Dylan Niedrowski is a last year example. This will continue to be the case. The Fall kids are ones that remain and impress ... and often choose not to be the third OG or third DE coming to that P5 begins Four stars.
2. Passing game. WRs are often hard to evaluate out of HS film and if kids aren’t frequent combine participants.

80/20 rule
1. “Selling” a kid on your Football team ain’t all that different than “Selling” highly sought qualified residential mortgagees or expensive home improvement items. You’re not gonna find 128 in Canada nor NH or Long Island or Albany. Not Connecticut HS either.
I believe WE - UCONN- still have a comparative advantage in some relevant locations.
2. The Good News - Prep Schools in NE and on the NY eastern half are far more important than2003. Things changed. Cheshire Academy is one of about 8 we can name off the top of our head nearby that produce Post-Grad or regular footballers. In proximity. Both parents and talent know this; far more prevalent path. They are near.

The statement that we can’t connect and rely on “under the radar” kids isn’t really true - Peart, Van De Mark, Buss, McLean, Tarbutt. We can still be a “Go To School “ for Ontario and Quebec. Only Buffalo seems to also target this regularly. The former reliable regional recruiting by home assistants - Todd Orlando & Rob Ambrose & Terry Richardson & Mike Foley - hasn’t really emerged these early years of HCRE 2.0. We have to be great and prepared at Prep School Football. The most yield needs to still be PA, NJ, MA, DC/MD/VA and Florida. We don’t get 4 Stars.

I think the first 20 months of HCRE 2.0 it’s fair to say: he has a far better handle in what works recruiting at UCONN and at this level than PP or Diaco. (Whipple- btw - is very interesting). He has changed. This AAC ain’t the same ballgame as most of the old conference. He’s adapting.

You do it that way and maybe you too can have two winning conference seasons in 15 years. Anybody who actually wants to be competitive at the top of this league needs to go get kids out PA, FL, MD and NJ. If you get a kid out of Canada every cycle - superduper but you are not going to go toe to toe with the 4-5 best teams in the AAC year in and year out recruiting like that. I don't know how many years of results your need to see to wrap your head around it - but this insane world you've built in your head is completely disconnected from reality.

You sound exactly like Diaco who constantly was blabbing about nonsense instead of the tried and true things that win college football games.

The fact that Buffalo is the other school who worries about Canada isn't exactly a ringing endorsement. They have one winning record since 2008 and are 18-29 since their last bowl bid playing in a league where a half dozen schools can barely afford equipment.

Last edited:

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
You do it that way and maybe you too can have two winning conference seasons in 15 years. Anybody who actually wants to be competitive at the top of this league needs to go get kids out PA, FL, MD and NJ. If you get a kid out of Canada every cycle - superduper but you are not going to go toe to toe with the 4-5 best teams in the AAC year in and year out recruiting like that. I don't know how many years of results your need to see to wrap your head around it - but this insane world you've built in your head is completely disconnected from reality.

You sound exactly like Diaco who constantly was blabbing about nonsense instead of the tried and true things that win college football games.

The fact that Bufallo is the other school who worries about Canada isn't exactly a ringing endorsement. They have one winning record since 2008 and are 18-29 since their last bowl bid playing in a league where a half dozen schools can barely afford equipment.

Precisely.

You can get good kids out of Canada, but you can't find enough to break through at this level by making it anything other than a luxury add.

Reaction Score
Donations to the athletic department aren’t deducitble.

Donations to the athletic department are deductible. If you do not use the points (those points earned for current year donation) to benefit your seat selection the donation is deductible.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Guess I missed that angle. I’m no superfan. I don’t donate to any university - there are millions of more worthy causes and this particular university I help fund 365.25 days a year.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
That’s awesome guy who doesn’t go to games that doesn’t leave.
Sit through 2011-2018 and then show us in year 9 you still sit to the end of boring 56-17 games.

I can't agree enough. "Fans" that don't go to games criticizing fans that do can all go jump in the lake.

Reaction Score
This conference is really all speed. If your faster than your opponent you will win. Randy is doing a good job just seeing what talent he can get. They are young with time they will get better

Reaction Score

But not Efficient

Position variables

80/20 rule

I’m glad to see that they are targeting talent from Georgia and Florida. It will be exciting to see what Rooney, Krajewski and Black bring to the table. I can see all three of them playing the maximum of four games to give them some experience.

Reaction Score
UConn needs to get better to get out of the AAC? How about getting better so they can stay? At this point UConn needs to worry about not being invited to leave.

Reaction Score
I got news for you ...

This AAC is a bear.

Dismissing the lower tier just won’t fly. Tulane hired the RIGHT coach; they will rise. SMU is not going to gear down their football aspirations. Temple continues to commit to play at a high level. ECU? In 30 years, they’ve proven (and their fan base has proven) that they don’t countenance mediocrity or average (SEE Ruffin McNeil). Tulsa had 2 wins last year ... and I’m certain no one there is happy after a couple double digit years.

Both Memphis and Temple prove that you can go from a real FBS slug, for a decade, and rise to big bowl candidacy. 0-12 goes to 13 wins in two seasons. We have 12 COMMITTED Universities to Football. Making the Investment & looking for advantages.

The Big East from 2003-2009 had several classic failures in the name Programs. Robinson at Syracuse; Wannstedt at Pitt.

The AAC is a tough football conference for UConn. Tougher than 2007-2010.

Reaction Score
Precisely.

You can get good kids out of Canada, but you can't find enough to break through at this level by making it anything other than a luxury add.

What’s missing ...

We have less Pennsylvania and Florida kids in our first two classes than in HCRE 1.0. I don’t know why on PA ... certainly Randy hasn’t lessened his focus on his home state. Florida is a work in process. In looking at recruiting 2003-2009, Florida kids visited and committed in January. About 90% of the time.

Having 5-7 Canada kids on the roster consistently means we are getting about 10% of our recruitment from there. More than NYS. Less than NJ.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I got news for you ...

This AAC is a bear.

Dismissing the lower tier just won’t fly. Tulane hired the RIGHT coach; they will rise. SMU is not going to gear down their football aspirations. Temple continues to commit to play at a high level. ECU? In 30 years, they’ve proven (and their fan base has proven) that they don’t countenance mediocrity or average (SEE Ruffin McNeil). Tulsa had 2 wins last year ... and I’m certain no one there is happy after a couple double digit years.

Both Memphis and Temple prove that you can go from a real FBS slug, for a decade, and rise to big bowl candidacy. 0-12 goes to 13 wins in two seasons. We have 12 COMMITTED Universities to Football. Making the Investment & looking for advantages.

The Big East from 2003-2009 had several classic failures in the name Programs. Robinson at Syracuse; Wannstedt at Pitt.

The AAC is a tough football conference for UConn. Tougher than 2007-2010.

Sagarin Conference Rankings: The AAC's highest conference ranking never eclipsed the Big East's lowest conference ranking.

Big East
2004 - 71.98 (UConn's first year)
2005 - 72.12
2006 - 79.57 (2nd overall)
2007 - 77.46 (4th overall)
2008 - 75.23
2009 - 77.33 (2nd overall)
2010 - 73.27
2011 - 72.41
2012 - 72.16

AAC
2013 - 65.15
2014 - 60.88
2015 AAC West - 67.31, AAC East 66.38
2016 AAC West - 69.87 AAC East 63.49
2017 AAC West - 67.87 AAC East 64.64

Also, Pitt football may have disappointed based on expectations but from 2004-2012 (same period we shared the league):
2 Conference titles
35-27 Big East Record
6 Bowls

Reaction Score
Damn Statistics.

Funny thing: I took multiple high level Stat classes both at UConn and then Grad School. What do you think the bias is in the Sagarin? It is in the Math.

The Truth is Aresco put together 12 Universities eager to rise in the FBS. He did not get all of them (though he tried with Boise). Tulane was pitiful when we heard they were invited; that was a huge projection. (I grant you that) ECU is actually floundering; whereas, I expected them to be tough. In general, each of these schools/Programs will spend money and eagerly compete. There are several quick examples (UH Levine to Hermann; Tulane Johnson to Fritz; USF Holtz to Taggert to Strong). MEMPHIS. There's no way SMU will suck in the long term.

We love to think we belong to the P5 and we are outraged that we haven't risen. The AAC, frankly, is our Football Peer group. Yankee Conference did not prepare us to be in the same league as Syracuse or Pitt. HOWEVER, my view is Syracuse, Vandy, Baylor, Wake, Duke will all find themselves failing at some point with the Moneymaking CapitalImprovementSpending Cheaters amongst them. And few are prepared to make Public Private Partnerships like YUM Center that rips taxpayer money into a sports hole.

We may find an opportunity to rise to P5 at some point. And whaler11 may get that Giselle Bundchen type househusband role. OUR Program/AD must continue to rise in all sports and put the necessary funding forth - in spite of Connecticut's struggles.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom