OT: - Once Upon A Time or Do You Remember When? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Once Upon A Time or Do You Remember When?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
A different perspective on the Dodgers. We both cried for them. You cried when they left Brooklyn, we cried (tears of joy) when they arrived here. Your loss was our gain. You lost 2 teams (Giants & Dodgers), but you still had the Yankees.

We were so happy to finally have a ML baseball team, that 93,000 fans filled the LA Coliseum to welcome Roy Campanella in April 1958. The largest crowd ever to see a ML baseball game in the US.
No comment.

Reaction Score
Yes, absolutely.:)

Radio Shows: Young Dr. Malone (my mother's favorite), Hermione Ginggold, "Jack Wertzen's (sp?) Gospel Hour every Sat night. Five cent tokens for the NYC subway. Gangs in Brooklyn (Imperial Lords and Bucaneers) and huge gang fights with zip guns and knifes. Working in Chock Full O'Nuts restaurants during summer vacation while in college. 3 speed push button transmissions and 3 speed manual trannys on the steering column. Teachers posting exam results on the classroom door. Stickball played with a broom stick and Spalding (Spaldeen). Stoopball off brownstone stoop with Spalding.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Under the covers listening to basketball games on portable radio. Amazed that I could listen to Jerry West college games in the middle of Maine. Of course sometimes it would fade out during an exciting moment.
Listening to Johnny Most call Celtics games
Clothes pinning baseball cards to my bicycle spokes

Reaction Score
Under the covers listening to basketball games on portable radio. Amazed that I could listen to Jerry West college games in the middle of Maine. Of course sometimes it would fade out during an exciting moment.
Listening to Johnny Most call Celtics games
Clothes pinning baseball cards to my bicycle spokes
I remember the baseball card to spokes but the radios we had were not portable. They were pretty large size boxes with big vacuum tubes. We had a stand up floor model radio in the living room where we listened to nightly shows. The Lone Ranger, The Shadow, The Bob Hope Show, Blondie, My Friend Irma, Amos and Andy, and many others that were popular in the day.

Reaction Score
In Astoria? I've never been.
Bungalo Bar was an alternative ice cream truck - that at least came around the Bronx the same era as Good Humor - prior to Mr. Softee.
Unknown.jpeg

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
10 cent subway fare & rattan seats on the D train
curb-ball, stoop-ball, stickball and slug (kind of like pingpong handball)
Needing to go to Coney Island to have a Nathan's hot dog

Yeah, Bronx...how about flipping for "tickets" sports and war cards from bubble gum...we played "21" for them, flipped them against the wall of the apt's

I remember nickel and 7cents bus fares; nickel sodas, egg cream 7 cents
seeded rye sliced in the local bakery; the 3rd Ave El...roller skate hockey at the "oval," Columbia and Schwinn bikes, American Flyer, sleds

All this on Decatur Ave North of Gun Hill Road...one block to the cemetery and you got to the "lot" where we played softball...replete with the "big, fat rock."

And Mo-c (K?)om-co Trails on weekends...anyone remember that?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
♪Here we are, back with you again.♫ Oh by golly, yes by golly, Kukla, Fran, and dear old Ollie♪.....
Vtcw, apparently the Sisters of Mercy were considerably more merciful than the nuns you remember.
I remember getting the "rat-hand" (rattan) in public school.
The rag man had a horse drawn cart. Any manure the horse left quickly found its way into someone's garden.
The Janelles got the first TV in the neighborhood. Mr. Janelle would invite the neighborhood men to watch boxing and the Red Sox.
I remember bonfires on the Fourth of July, and a second one in 1945 celebrating VJ Day.
Couldn't tell which way the '47 Studebaker was heading. The '53, on the other hand, was quite good looking.
My brother joined the Navy at 17, so, thanks to him, I was smoking sea stores cigarettes at 10¢ a pack, and wearing bell bottom "seafarer" jeans, long before they became fashionable.
♫When the blue of the night, meets the gold of the day♪.............. Bing Crosby on the radio at noon.
The Asian Flu and hurricanes in the 50's.
Even so, they really were the good old days.

Reaction Score
I remember the baseball card to spokes but the radios we had were not portable. They were pretty large size boxes with big vacuum tubes. We had a stand up floor model radio in the living room where we listened to nightly shows. The Lone Ranger, The Shadow, The Bob Hope Show, Blondie, My Friend Irma, Amos and Andy, and many others that were popular in the day.
my grand parents had one almost as big a jukebox. Listened to those above plus the Shadow and George and Gracie

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A different perspective on the Dodgers. We both cried for them. You cried when they left Brooklyn, we cried (tears of joy) when they arrived here. Your loss was our gain. You lost 2 teams (Giants & Dodgers), but you still had the Yankees.
Oh Carnac, how could you say that. If you were a loyal Dodger fan you absolutely hated the Yankees. It took me many years before I would even consider going to a Yankees game.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I think that this is the most enjoyable thread that I have looked at in a long, long time. Thanks to everyone for bringing back their memories.
I figured you would have a few. I think we experienced and enjoyed a number of things at the same time in our lives.
I remember when we could go to the park and sleep at night and not be concerned about being assaulted
We could go to bed at night and leave the doors open and feel perfectly safe

Reaction Score
Oh Carnac, how could you say that. If you were a loyal Dodger fan you absolutely hated the Yankees. It took me many years before I would even consider going to a Yankees game.
There are NL fans and AL fans. As a kid my grandfather and I were Giants fans. The rest of the family pulled for the Dodgers. Hating the Yankees was common ground. When our teams headed west and the Mets arrived we were all Mets fans. I still am to one degree or another. Still root for the Yankees to lose. As a NL person All-Star games are a sore point for like it seems forever.

Reaction Score
My parents got an entertainment center for their wedding in 1948. The tv was only about 7-8”. Had a turntable, radio, and built-in speakers. Quite a piece of history... and it’s still in the house.

I think our TV back then was bought primarily for being a piece of "furniture". The top of this "furniture piece" also acted as the Liquor bar. As you mentioned even after the TV died the "bar" was still active.

I remember coming to US (West Haven) in April 1959, not a word of English, started grammar school right away. When temps got warmer, I wore shorts to school and was promptly told to go back home and change into long pants, maybe it was too much of a casual attire for the states.

The books I learned to read and write back then were the Dick and Jane books.

I remember Savin Rock amusement park and everything that went along with it.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

You can still listen to all of those shows on the internet for free. Google “old time radio” and relive the golden years of radio. I listen to the Lone Ranger Featuring Brace Beemer as the the masked man every day. Right now I’m listening to episodes first aired in 1943.

I also like Yours truly Johnny Dollar and Boston Blackie. You can find all of the shows you mentioned and many more. Did I mention it’s all for free. Enjoy.:)

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
There are NL fans and AL fans. As a kid my grandfather and I were Giants fans. The rest of the family pulled for the Dodgers. Hating the Yankees was common ground. When our teams headed west and the Mets arrived we were all Mets fans. I still am to one degree or another. Still root for the Yankees to lose. As a NL person All-Star games are a sore point for like it seems forever.

I’m not a baseball fan anymore. I get my sports fix following the NFL, WCBB (UConn year round here in the yard), and the WNBA. I was always a NL fan. Naturally I was a Dodger fan as they were the local team. I went to many games in the Coliseum before Dodger Stadium opened in 1962. I only hated 1 team, the San Francisco Giants, especially after Giant pitcher Juan Marichal attacked Dodger catcher John Roseboro with a bat. :mad:

1584412727986.png

Juan Marichal hitting John Roseboro @ Candlestick Park Aug 23, 1965

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Who has owned a Commodore computer 64? (Commodore 64 Estimated units sold: 17 million; original price: $595 in 1982)

My first computer was a Radio Shack computer that did not have a hard drive or Windows. The internet was not up and running yet.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
On a more somber note, as a child I experienced a series of illnesses: chicken pox and mumps, followed by measles which transitioned to pneumonia for which I was bedridden for months. I missed a year of school. I was 7 years old.

My best friend spent time in an iron lung, which saved his life from polio. He never fully recovered.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
On a more somber note, as a child I experienced a series of illnesses: chicken pox and mumps, followed by measles which transitioned to pneumonia for which I was bedridden for months. I missed a year of school. I was 7 years old.

My best friend spent time in an iron lung, which saved his life from polio. He never fully recovered.
I remember when it was announced that Dr. Jonas Salk had developed the serum to protect people from polio.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
"Sister Ita rapping me across my knuckles with a ruler. "

and if she was realllly pissed she hit with the ruler on edge. I did 8 years penance in a Catholic grammer school more than 60 years ago and I still think that nuns were the meanest, nastiest people on the planet.
I guess you didn't have to deal with the brothers. They didn't need or use rulers. They just whipped your butt with their hands and fists. I remember one kid not paying attention and a brother walked up behind him and smacked him in the back of the head.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom