OT: - Once Upon A Time or Do You Remember When? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Once Upon A Time or Do You Remember When?

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I guess you didn't have to deal with the brothers. They didn't need or use rulers. They just whipped your butt with their hands and fists. I remember one kid not paying attention and a brother walked up behind him and smacked him in the back of the head.

I think I could write a book about nuns. I'm know they weren't all horrors but I saw enough to convince me that many were dried up old b*tches that took out their misery on kids.

Read about the St Joseph's orphanage lawsuits. Makes a ruler across the knuckles mild.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I guess you didn't have to deal with the brothers. They didn't need or use rulers. They just whipped your butt with their hands and fists. I remember one kid not paying attention and a brother walked up behind him and smacked him in the back of the head.

My grandfather would not let me get anywhere near "the brothers" for reasons you can probably imagine. They had a summer retreat near his farm and they had a very bad reputation.

Reaction Score
I remember when it was announced that Dr. Jonas Salk had developed the serum to protect people from polio.
Our scout troop did crowd control for the nurses handing out sugar cubes with the vaccine in the local elementary school.
Our first TV was a 10" diameter in a big wooden console cabinet. I remember my mom saying who were those people sitting on the couch in the corner. My grandparents said they thought they were friends of hers and nobody really cared they were from the neighborhood somewhere. It was sitting room only with the only TV around and I think there was only one show on TV on Saturday night?
I had a top secret clearance cause the radar set I worked on had a transistors and not tubes.
They used horse drawn carts for fresh produce and the rag guy mentioned earlier.
Every house had a coal delivery.

Reaction Score
1) I remember a small cherry coke for 5 cents and a large for 10 cents made in the sweet shop in front of you
2) I remember a large soft pretzel for 5 cents at the same store
3) I remember a play on the pinball machine also for the same 5 cents at the same store
4) I remember a banana split from the Mr. Softee soft ice cream truck for 20 cents
5) I remember a new pair of Converse Chuck Taylor All Stars for $7.99
6) I remember a 7 oz bottle of coke in a glass bottle freezing cold from a coke machine for 10 cents
7) I remember being totally bored on Sundays waiting for the Celtics(Russell) to play the 76ers(Wilt) on TV
8) I remember being totally bored on Sundays waiting for relatives to visit
9) I remember reading a lot- what else was there?
10) I remember 6 players on a team in women's college basketball- only 2 could go on both sides of the court
11) I remember double features with cartoons in between for 35 cents
12) I remember tv channels 2,4,5,7,9,11 and 13 and nothing else!

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I went to Catholic schools for 12 years. Nuns in grade school were strict, and every now and again you got the ruler. Or the paddle in the principal's office. In high school the Christain Brothers were anything but christian many times. You got whacked in the head for talking in class. If you wanted a fight with a student you were expected to "meet on the path" after school. If you got caught fighting in school, they gave you the option of detention, or meeting one of two Brothers in the gym. After school. boxing gloves on, the whole school in the bleachers, and the only two guys who tried it got the crap beat out of them. There were about 1200 boys in the school, and even with all that testosterone flowing very few discipline problems. Guess you could not get away with it now, but we got a very good education.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
1) I remember a small cherry coke for 5 cents and a large for 10 cents made in the sweet shop in front of you
2) I remember a large soft pretzel for 5 cents at the same store
3) I remember a play on the pinball machine also for the same 5 cents at the same store
4) I remember a banana split from the Mr. Softee soft ice cream truck for 20 cents
5) I remember a new pair of Converse Chuck Taylor All Stars for $7.99
6) I remember a 7 oz bottle of coke in a glass bottle freezing cold from a coke machine for 10 cents
7) I remember being totally bored on Sundays waiting for the Celtics(Russell) to play the 76ers(Wilt) on TV
8) I remember being totally bored on Sundays waiting for relatives to visit
9) I remember reading a lot- what else was there?
10) I remember 6 players on a team in women's college basketball- only 2 could go on both sides of the court
11) I remember double features with cartoons in between for 35 cents
12) I remember tv channels 2,4,5,7,9,11 and 13 and nothing else!
Those were the NYC channels. Pretty sure 2 was CBS, 4 was NBC, less sure of ABC, 7 I think, 11 PIX and 13 the public station. That leaves one I can't guess at. How did I do?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Those were the NYC channels. Pretty sure 2 was CBS, 4 was NBC, less sure of ABC, 7 I think, 11 PIX and 13 the public station. That leaves one I can't guess at. How did I do?
The channel you've forgotten was channel 5, which Merv Griffin ultimately dominated and took over.

JordyG

Reaction Score
My grandfather would not let me get anywhere near "the brothers" for reasons you can probably imagine. They had a summer retreat near his farm and they had a very bad reputation.
I spent a very short time getting catholic instruction. One of the other kids told me that when you were very bad the brothers would bring you into another room and paint the walls with you body. The smack in the back of the head was enough for me to say adios to catholic instruction.

Reaction Score
Great. WOR-TV was channel 9.
Aw man, how could I forget WOR?

Someone earlier in this intermatable thread mentioned as an old timey thing having to physically change channels and adjust volume. I don't remember when remotes became a thing, and I must have walked to the TV to do whatever a million times, but for the life of me I have a hard time remembering actually doing it. I guess like pain you remember the concept better than the actual experience. How did we put up with it? Or go without AC, car and home. I was in high school before living in an apartment that had a few window units. Prior to that going to the movies was about the only way to get into AC.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score

My grandparents had a TV a year or so before us. They got 1 channel out of Montreal. Half the programming was in French and half in English. The only programming I remember was wrestling in English and Hockey in French.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I spent a very short time getting catholic instruction. One of the other kids told me that when you were very bad the brothers would bring you into another room and paint the walls with you body. The smack in the back of the head was enough for me to say adios to catholic instruction.

After I graduated from the 8th grade my father gave me the choice of continuing on to a Catholic High School or switching to the local public school. A no brainer - above my mother's objections.

Examples - In the 7th grade a nun hit a kid in the seat behind me with her fist. She broke his nose. Nothing happened to her.
In the 8th grade a girl wore lipstick to class. A nun brutally scrubbed her face, called her a whore and then made her kneel in the front of the class for the whole day.

Reaction Score
My NYC HS years (1961 to 1965) I had season tickets to the NY Football Giants, who played at Yankee Stadium.
The season tickets cost $7.00 a game for 7 home games = $49.00 a year!

Cars were made of steel not plastic or other lighter cheaper materials!

As a kid you had to have a Spalding/also called a Pinkie a soft rubber ball for street games.

I was riding a D train home to the Bronx from my HS in Manhattan when JFK was shot in Dallas and 2 days later was playing street football when someone yelled out a window the guy who shot Kennedy was shot in Dallas!

JordyG

Reaction Score
After I graduated from the 8th grade my father gave me the choice of continuing on to a Catholic High School or switching to the local public school. A no brainer - above my mother's objections.

Examples - In the 7th grade a nun hit a kid in the seat behind me with her fist. She broke his nose. Nothing happened to her.
In the 8th grade a girl wore lipstick to class. A nun brutally scrubbed her face, called her a whore and then made her kneel in the front of the class for the whole day.
The good old days. I for one received Catholic instruction (my sisters were raised catholic), and I attended Sunday school at my Baptist church (my father was a deacon). My sisters married Jehovah Witnesses, so I attended their services (they were 10 years older than I), my family had Pentecostal friends, so I attended their services, and my 1st cousin became a Buddhist, so I attended their meditative circles. There was nothing like the violence and vindictiveness I saw during my brief stint at catholic instruction anywhere else.

Reaction Score

Someone earlier in this intermatable thread mentioned as an old timey thing having to physically change channels and adjust volume. I don't remember when remotes became a thing, and I must have walked to the TV to do whatever a million times, but for the life of me I have a hard time remembering actually doing it. I guess like pain you remember the concept better than the actual experience. How did we put up with it? Or go without AC, car and home. I was in high school before living in an apartment that had a few window units. Prior to that going to the movies was about the only way to get into AC.
WOR was the Mets and WPIX was the Yankees. Do you remember when some movie theaters were " air-cooled" not "air-conditioned"? Fans instead of air conditioning.

Reaction Score
The channel you've forgotten was channel 5, which Merv Griffin ultimately dominated and took over.
Which beer was advertised on the Yankee games on Channel 11 and which beer was advertised on Channel 9 for the Mets games? We changed the first few lines of the opening Mets jingle to- "Meet the Mets, Greet the Mets, Step right up and beat the Mets." Casey Stengel and who was on first?

Reaction Score
WOR was the Mets and WPIX was the Yankees. Do you remember when some movie theaters were " air-cooled" not "air-conditioned"? Fans instead of air conditioning.
[/QU

You always had a TV guide or TV section from the Sunday paper by where you sat because you had to stand to channel surf! The only surfing we knew about was what they were singing about in California.

Reaction Score
One final thing. When we flipped baseball cards, if you got a "topsie" I think you got to keep the card under but if you got a "leaner" what did you get?

Reaction Score
Does anyone remember "Secret Decoder Rings"? I had one or two but I cannot remember for what. But when I decoded the the secret it was a let down as it was an advertisement for a product.
Yes. I remember a secret decoder for Ovaltine. They did a take off on it in the movie "Christmas Story". The secret message was usually about drinking Ovaltine or watching the show.

Reaction Score
Yes. I remember a secret decoder for Ovaltine. They did a take off on it in the movie "Christmas Story". The secret message was usually about drinking Ovaltine or watching the show.
Jean Shepherd, the man behind "Christmas Story" had a nightly show on WOR, including a Saturday night show from the Limelight. He was among the great storytellers and I must have caught hundreds of his broadcasts.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Champion,Trigger, and Topper were their horses
When we decided to buy horses, I just had to get a Palomino with a white Blaze. Mission accomplished. Unfortunately, she passed 4 years ago last week.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Something that I remember about my Grandmothers and their Sisters - they always wore dresses, never saw any other type of clothing on any of them. No pant suits, skirts with blouses, etc. In the summer, they wouldn't also be wearing a sweater, but most every other season, in MA, a sweater was around their shoulders.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom