once again, i dont understand most of u | Page 2 | The Boneyard

once again, i dont understand most of u

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I'll admit to being more with Dan on this. The CYO POTENTIAL (still potential, although likely) move was something we all wanted at one point. We are not an independent, we still have a conference. It's not the one we want right now, but the world is not flat and you did not drive over the edge. If we were in the ACC, we would feel equally unstable when FSU, Clemson, and others head out - and they will. Yes, the ACC will soon look a lot like the BE, circa 2002.

You can not react to any single move thinking the end is near - there are literally dozens of moves left to play out. The PAC12 eyes OU and UT; SEC covets Va Tech and UNC; BIG wants UVa and either UNC or BC/UConn; B12 and ACC just want to remain relevant. It would be nice if there was an adult in the room and said stop, what's the end game, and how do we get there - now, but the NCAA is useless and too many schools look like hookers on the street, so we have to wait. But I believe we will be fine.

Exactly. On 12/13/12, looks lousy. But that doesn't mean tomorrow or a week from now or a month from now or a year from now will look the same way that it does today.

Reaction Score
Months and months of posts go by, the gist of which are: " UConn's best hope of landing in a Big 4/5 conference is for more instability to occur..."

More instability comes to our doorstep...

Boneyard jumps to full panic mode. :confused:

Reaction Score
Months and months of posts go by, the gist of which are: " UConn's best hope of landing in a Big 4/5 conference is for more instability to occur..."

More instability comes to our doorstep...

Boneyard jumps to full panic mode. :confused:
Let's phrase this right: more instability in the Big 4/5. Instability in our own conference does nothing to get us into a better conference, it only makes our current home worse.

Reaction Score
ESPN is to blame for all of this mess. They wanted the super conferences so they could control what happened in football and basketball nationally. Now UConn is on the outside looking in. Damn ESPN and how they screwed over the state they have their headquarters in after huge tax breaks.

What did ESPN do? They don't care which conferences do what, they only care about what rights they have. Note that ESPN has minimal rights with the Big 10. It definitely doesn't want schools going Big 10. It recieves no benefit from it.

ESPN seems to be the favorite scapegoat for many here.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
UConn will be fine. If anything else, the C7 leaving will likely expedite UConn gaining acceptance into another conference. Until then, enjoy the last bball games against Cuse and Pitt (maybe UL and ND too) and the 2013 home football schedule. Go Dahgs!

May I ask how you figure this to be the case? Are the C7 schools raiding one of the Power conferences thus causing another spot to open up for us? I don't see the Big12 jumping to raid the ACC because of this. So how, exactly is this getting expedited?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Let's phrase this right: more instability in the Big 4/5. Instability in our own conference does nothing to get us into a better conference, it only makes our current home worse.

That sure seems like opinion to me, on two different counts:

1) How do you know that a BE breakup doesn't make us more attractive to other conferences? By taking us now, they can't be accused of being the one that finally killed the Big East.

2) Basketball currently contributes very little to a conference's $$ payout. By everyone's account, football revenue is the major payout. Given that, how is jettisoning the schools that contribute no football revenue AT ALL bad for the University of CT? Our basketball schedule just got easier - how is that bad for the University of CT?

I know change is a difficult thing for some people to come to grips with, but sheesh. Instead of 21-10 seasons in men's bball, we'll have 27-4 seasons. Big freakin deal.

UNLV did fine for years playing a weak schedule with a few marquee matchups sprinkled in along the way.

And that's assuming this situation isn't temporary (it probably is), and that we won't land someplece else (we probably will).

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Don't take this the wrong way, but you're either very, very stupid or this drunken cheerleader act of yours has taken over completely. Either way, you duck*ing talk to much and know too little.

Why how could anyone take that the wrong way?

Reaction Score
1) How do you know that a BE breakup doesn't make us more attractive to other conferences? By taking us now, they can't be accused of being the one that finally killed the Big East.

2) Basketball currently contributes very little to a conference's $$ payout. By everyone's account, football revenue is the major payout. Given that, how is jettisoning the schools that contribute no football revenue AT ALL bad for the University of CT? Our basketball schedule just got easier - how is that bad for the University of CT?

I know change is a difficult thing for some people to come to grips with, but sheesh. Instead of 21-10 seasons in men's bball, we'll have 27-4 seasons. Big freakin deal.

UNLV did fine for years playing a weak schedule with a few marquee matchups sprinkled in along the way.

And that's assuming this situation isn't temporary (it probably is), and that we won't land someplece else (we probably will).
How is having a worse schedule bad for the university? Really?

Attendance, RPI, tournament readiness, nationally televised games, etc. Those things factor into how well you recruit.

UNLV did fine through cheating. Same with UMass. Same with Memphis. And through playing in the 1980s when college sports were quite different (more conferences with fewer teams--it was easier).

Why would the breakup make us more attractive? That's opinion, and only really super-wishful thinking.

Perhaps we will get into the ACC or B1G. I think ultimately we will. But we need that move to happen quickly or there are real problems. And there isn't hope yet on the horizon.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I was worried that he might think I didn't mean it

i question why u have been so rock solid that we are . i mean w/e sources u have and friends with info u have been to the point of we dont even have a phone to call the acc or a email account to send them a power point of bullcrap. it just seems your playing the other side way to hard to cover up soemthing.

Reaction Score
i question why u have been so rock solid that we are ****ed. i mean w/e sources u have and friends with info u have been to the point of we dont even have a phone to call the acc or a email account to send them a power point of bullcrap. it just seems your playing the other side way to hard to cover up soemthing.
Unfortunately, Fishy usually knows what he's talking about, and has a track record of being so...

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, Fishy usually knows what he's talking about, and has a track record of being so...

good perfect and thats what i usally believe also from what i have seen in the past. now lets go back and relaize how close to the vest md and ruty played it. 3 ppl knew. 3. and everyone else didn't know they were even looking. now lets visit everything uconn has done lately. how would fishy and his good contact know? just becuase they dont have anything so fishy hears nothing good and relays it to us doesn't mean theres nothing going on. for him to think based off contacts that we have zilch going on means we are hiding everything. your telling me the acc isn't looking around or wasn't a couple weeks ago for starters?

play ball

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
i question why u have been so rock solid that we are ****ed. i mean w/e sources u have and friends with info u have been to the point of we dont even have a phone to call the acc or a email account to send them a power point of bullcrap. it just seems your playing the other side way to hard to cover up soemthing.

I am only saying that we're duck*ed because we're actually really duck*ed.

If we weren't duck*ed, I would say that we're not duck*ed. But we're duck*ed, so I'm saying we're duck*ed.

Four or five days before the ACC voted, I heard that things were not going as well as hoped. I posted about the perfect storm that I thought we had drawn into.

That perfect storm is so much worse than I thought then. We do not have a Big Ten invite. We're not aware of Big Ten interest. We have no ACC invite.

Now, we're going into a rabbit hole without a conference, without a television contract and the one thing that has built this entire house, basketball, is about to be marginalized. If you ranked the winners and losers in expansion, we would absolutely, positively be at the very bottom of the list. Even Cincy will have made out better.

We are duck*ed.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I am only saying that we're duck*ed because we're actually really duck*ed.

If we weren't duck*ed, I would say that we're not duck*ed. But we're duck*ed, so I'm saying we're duck*ed.

Four or five days before the ACC voted, I heard that things were not going as well as hoped. I posted about the perfect storm that I thought we had drawn into.

That perfect storm is so much worse than I thought then. We do not have a Big Ten invite. We're not aware of Big Ten interest. We have no ACC invite.

Now, we're going into a rabbit hole without a conference, without a television contract and the one thing that has built this entire house, basketball, is about to be marginalized. If you ranked the winners and losers in expansion, we would absolutely, positively be at the very bottom of the list. Even Cincy will have made out better.

We are duck*ed.

alright then, i give up.

caw

Reaction Score

Attendance, RPI, tournament readiness, nationally televised games, etc. Those things factor into how well you recruit.

UNLV did fine through cheating. Same with UMass. Same with Memphis. And through playing in the 1980s when college sports were quite different (more conferences with fewer teams--it was easier).

Why would the breakup make us more attractive? That's opinion, and only really super-wishful thinking.

Perhaps we will get into the ACC or B1G. I think ultimately we will. But we need that move to happen quickly or there are real problems. And there isn't hope yet on the horizon.

I see the Catholics leaving as less of a cliff in competition than UL leaving.

If you have the following basketball conference playing a round robin schedule, it's not that bad, and not worse than the previous NBE with the Catholics.

UConn

Cincy
Memphis
Temple
USF
UCF
Houston
SMU
Can we still kick out Tulane and take someone else?

Now compare that to the schedule with the 7 Catholics, instead of two games with:
UCF...UCF and one against DePaul
SMU... SMU and one against Seton Hall
Houston...Houston...Providence
USF...USF...Nova
Temple...Temple...SJU
Memphis...Memphis...Marquette
Cincy...Cincy...Georgetown

It's really not that much worse at all, the big difference is the two games against Tulane, or whoever replaces them.

Michigan State consistently plays top 25 teams OOC. UConn can do the same. You don't think a team like Cuse would love to play UConn, or Georgetown, or MSU, etc. Not to mention the pre-season tournaments. It's not the same as with football where other teams won't schedule UConn.

I don't think this is more attractive, but I don't really think it's much worse than the NBE with the Catholics. The only positive is not having to deal with the basketball only schools.

The negative may come if those Catholics can get 3-5 "power" teams to join in a league of basketball only schools.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I see the Catholics leaving as less of a cliff in competition than UL leaving.

If you have the following basketball conference playing a round robin schedule, it's not that bad, and not worse than the previous NBE with the Catholics.

UConn

Cincy
Memphis
Temple
USF
UCF
Houston
SMU
Can we still kick out Tulane and take someone else?

Now compare that to the schedule with the 7 Catholics, instead of two games with:
UCF...UCF and one against DePaul
SMU... SMU and one against Seton Hall
Houston...Houston...Providence
USF...USF...Nova
Temple...Temple...SJU
Memphis...Memphis...Marquette
Cincy...Cincy...Georgetown

It's really not that much worse at all, the big difference is the two games against Tulane, or whoever replaces them.

Michigan State consistently plays top 25 teams OOC. UConn can do the same. You don't think a team like Cuse would love to play UConn, or Georgetown, or MSU, etc. Not to mention the pre-season tournaments. It's not the same as with football where other teams won't schedule UConn.

I don't think this is more attractive, but I don't really think it's much worse than the NBE with the Catholics. The only positive is not having to deal with the basketball only schools.

The negative may come if those Catholics can get 3-5 "power" teams to join in a league of basketball only schools.
In order for them to leave they will have to give the three remaining football teams the BE naming rights. That has value. If those three schools play things right they can keep the MSG deal going and that certainly has value. But I'm still feeling the B!G is where UConn lands.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Where is UConn going to get money for athletics? If we go with the C7, it's going to be a smaller payday. If we stick with the misfits, it's going to be a smaller payday. How will UConn pay the bills? How will UConn football, bball etc. keep paying coaches? Will Cuse still be enthusiastic to play UConn when our athletic budget is cut in half in 3-4 years and we're not in the top 60, let alone top 25?

Right now we're pretty ducked, but it's not quite permanent yet. If an ACC or B1G invite is coming, it better come in the next 12 months, or we're irreversibly ducked.

Reaction Score

So Geno really had no chance to build a successful program playing in the woeful Big East, then. He must have cheated.

Perno should have had the cupboard stocked with blue chips.

DePaul should be in the final four every few years. Big market, great RPI, good schedule...

Providence wins 20 every year - see above.

I just re-read my post and I don't see where I made the statement that "the breakup make us more attractive". Again, you take half a comment, add to it by making assumptions, and draw conclusions that are unwarranted. Same thing all the reporters are doing.

Frankly, it's intellectually lazy.

Your original comment was: "Instability in our own conference does nothing to get us into a better conference, it only makes our current home worse."

Just for the record, I could argue that instability in our own conference may very well make us more attractive to other conferences. I'm not going to do that because I don't happen to believe it, but I could easily argue the point with you. THAT was my point.

And I still don't see how getting rid of the CYO's to play with likeminded, though currently inferior athletic departments is inherently worse than staying with the CYO's. It remains to be seen how this all plays out (if we are stuck here).

There are very few black & white statements that can be made with respect to conference realignment. Up is down, black is white, etc. Nothing makes sense, and none of us knows for sure what is going on behind the scenes.

I remember people arguing with me that UConn would never, ever be successful in the Big East. Some were advocating a return to the Yankee Conference.

I think quite a few of those people are on this board.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
but other than that, Fishy, things are looking pretty good, right?

Here is the good news - there can't possibly be anymore bad news.

I hope.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score

I hope.

do u consider cincy announcing a acc invite before us saying anything bad news?
do u consider the big east bball schools announcing xav/but/day/stl and siena or another to join = 12 teams even bad news before uconn goes some where?
do u consider the acc getting ripped apart by the other confs bad news?
if so then more to come...

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

I hope.
You're an optimist!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member