On to the Next One: Cornell Preview | The Boneyard

On to the Next One: Cornell Preview

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score
Cornell (2-2) is coming off of two double digit losses against Colgate and Delaware, mostly due to poor shooting (41.4%) and bad rebounding (33.7).
Where they shine is defensively as they are only giving up 73.7 ppg, 3 less than us. They do this by getting steals (5.3) resulting from good pressure.
What I'm most interested to see is the matchup between Jalen and Matt Morgan. Morgan is a 6'2" senior guard who is averaging 23.7 ppg, 9.3 rebounds, and 3.3 assists. He does so off of high fg % (55.4) and high 3 pt % (45.5). Look for Alterique or Tarin to guard him, as they've been killing it so far this year.
Also, seeing if Cobb can continue his breakout weekend will definitely be up there on things to look for. Obviously, not many saw him doing this, but he's been hitting first against some big competition. Which is exactly what Hurley, and us fans have looking for one of the bigs to do. Hopefully another emerges as the season goes on (Diarra maybe???).
No line yet, but ESPN is giving us a 81.5% chance to win the game. Hopefully the Syracuse game re-energized the fans to show up a little more on Tuesday.

Reaction Score
Cornell (2-2) is coming off of two double digit losses against Colgate and Delaware, mostly due to poor shooting (41.4%) and bad rebounding (33.7).
Where they shine is defensively as they are only giving up 73.7 ppg, 3 less than us. They do this by getting steals (5.3) resulting from good pressure.
What I'm most interested to see is the matchup between Jalen and Matt Morgan. Morgan is a 6'2" senior guard who is averaging 23.7 ppg, 9.3 rebounds, and 3.3 assists. He does so off of high fg % (55.4) and high 3 pt % (45.5). Look for Alterique or Tarin to guard him, as they've been killing it so far this year.
Also, seeing if Cobb can continue his breakout weekend will definitely be up there on things to look for. Obviously, not many saw him doing this, but he's been hitting first against some big competition. Which is exactly what Hurley, and us fans have looking for one of the bigs to do. Hopefully another emerges as the season goes on (Diarra maybe???).
No line yet, but ESPN is giving us a 81.5% chance to win the game. Hopefully the Syracuse game re-energized the fans to show up a little more on Tuesday.
Any idea when Diarra is expected back? I know Wilson is expected back for the Umass-Lowell game using the bread crumbs he and a journalist left.

Reaction Score
Early December
Thanks I only heard December before with not really too much meaningful updates on his his rehab status. I thought he wouldn't be back until after the first semester break. So maybe around middle of December or just after that.

Reaction Score
Don't care who they're playing the next few they need to play like they did against Syracuse all the time. They have nothing to live off of for success and can only improve coming out with the passion of the Cuse game, all the time.

Interested in this game for that reason.

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score
Thanks I only heard December before with not really too much meaningful updates on his his rehab status. I thought he wouldn't be back until after the first semester break. So maybe around middle of December or just after that.
they said he was ahead of schedule. he was first expected to be back in January, but now sometime between early-middle of December

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Can’t wait for this game. Hurley will have them ready to go.

Reaction Score
They'll be fine.

They looked a little emotionally drained against Iowa and honestly, not only is Iowa just a better team, but they are really, really, really, really, really, really underrated. They're big, they're experienced, they're deep, they shot well, they defended well. That's a good team and I think as the season rolls along, a loss to them won't hurt a bit. They're exactly the kind of team that should beat a team like ours right now and we played them pretty even sans the beginning of the first half where they just kinda blew us off the court.

Hurley will have them ready.

Reaction Score
They'll be fine.

They looked a little emotionally drained against Iowa and honestly, not only is Iowa just a better team, but they are really, really, really, really, really, really underrated. They're big, they're experienced, they're deep, they shot well, they defended well. That's a good team and I think as the season rolls along, a loss to them won't hurt a bit. They're exactly the kind of team that should beat a team like ours right now and we played them pretty even sans the beginning of the first half where they just kinda blew us off the court.

Agree. You often see a team have a let down after a big win like Syracuse was . Iowa is really good, no question. Didn’t Monmouth lose to some nobody after one of their big road wins a couple of years ago? Notre Dame I think, have to check the records for that , and followed by a loss. It happens all the time. We will be fine. I don’t think any of us were expecting an undefeated season.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Hoping the XL center will be packed after the 'casual fans' were re-energized last weekend

Yes we all hope that bolt of enthusiasm translates into more fans buying tickets. Right now it looks like the majority of the 2nd level seats are available, though.

Reaction Score
I saw Cornell in person this year against Colgate. It will be fun to play against Boeheim again this season. That is Jimmy Jr. on Cornell. Or should I say "Boheim".

UCONN should have no problem from what I seen. If they can shut down Morgan, Cornell have little else to offer.

UCONN by 15.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I want Jalen to start shooting 10-12 free throws every game, Gilbert has to stop with so many turnovers, Carlton needs to be more aggressive and stop being afraid of contact, Vital has to stop driving into the lane and getting lost all the time, and Cobb to continue his play but kick it out if he doesn’t haven’t a shot

Reaction Score
I want Jalen to start shooting 10-12 free throws every game, Gilbert has to stop with so many turnovers, Carlton needs to be more aggressive and stop being afraid of contact, Vital has to stop driving into the lane and getting lost all the time, and Cobb to continue his play but kick it out if he doesn’t haven’t a shot
I have wanted more FTs for Jalen for 4 years. He simply avoids contact. Unless he changes his approach --and he shows no sign of doing it-- it just won't happen.

In the bigger picture versus Cornell. Less fouling by UConn, fewer TOs, and executing more effectively in the half court would be steps forward.

Reaction Score
They'll be fine.

The other thing about Iowa is that they are very, very fundamentally solid. I think that if you're relying on pressure D to make everything go, the combination of having played the day before, slowing you down a bit, and the other team's guards being very fundamentally solid with the ball is a bad combination.

Reaction Score
Cornell appears to be better than expected this year. I see this being less than a double digits win.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Don't care who they're playing the next few they need to play like they did against Syracuse all the time. They have nothing to live off of for success and can only improve coming out with the passion of the Cuse game, all the time.

Interested in this game for that reason.
Yeah, I want them to pile up the box outs just like Thursday. :D

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
They beat NJIT pretty handily. I’m not sure if that program is still up right now but they were very tough a few years back.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom