On to the Next One: Cornell Preview | Page 2 | The Boneyard

On to the Next One: Cornell Preview

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score

• UConn and Cornell will meet on the hardwood for the first time since Dec. 31, 1964. The all-time series between the two schools is tied at 1-1, with Cornell winning the '64 matchup by a score of 75-63.
  • The Big Red enter Tuesday night's tilt with a 3-2 recording, holding wins over Ithaca College, Binghampton University and SUNY Canyon while suffering losses to Delaware and NJIT.
  • Matt Morgan leads the team in scoring and rebounds, as the senior guard averages a whopping 25.4 points and 7.8 rebounds per contest. Jimmy Boehiem is the next highest with a scoring average of 15.0. Boehiem and Steven Julian are second on the Big Red in rebounding, pulling down an average of 5.2 boards a piece.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Me too, but Jalen has had only one game in his career where he attempted at least 10 free throws. So it appears that won't be changing anytime soon.
He’s too athletic and his body control is too good. Like yeah man, great job avoiding defense but just bang into someone sometimes

Reaction Score
This will be my first attended game of the season. Looking forward to seeing Hurley on the sidelines in person.

Reaction Score
Team staying at a hotel in Hartford tonight. Does anyone know if thats something they did under KO?

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score
He’s too athletic and his body control is too good. Like yeah man, great job avoiding defense but just bang into someone sometimes
Jalens been playing intense D this year, are we not watching the same thing

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Wow we haven’t played the Cornell Nard-dogs since ‘64? That seems insane to me.
tumblr_msyrf2osEu1rnebg8o9_r1_250.gif

Reaction Score
Things I want to see
1. More Hurley gifs
2. More aggressiveness from Jalen
3. More shots for Cobb
4. More successful passes out when bigs get offensive rebounds
5. More minutes for Brendan adams

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score

About 15 minutes into UConn’s bus ride home from New York City late Friday night, Hurley got a text from Adams.
“Coach, I started too late,” the text read.
Hurley agreed. He wants his star senior guard to come out a bit more ready to play and in attack mode, noting that Adams “drifts a little bit too much during the course of the game. I don’t think with his effort — his defense has been really good — (but) he’s too good of a guy. He’s gotta be a little more selfish, take over.”

Reaction Score
Cornell (2-2) is coming off of two double digit losses against Colgate and Delaware, mostly due to poor shooting (41.4%) and bad rebounding (33.7).
Where they shine is defensively as they are only giving up 73.7 ppg, 3 less than us. They do this by getting steals (5.3) resulting from good pressure.
What I'm most interested to see is the matchup between Jalen and Matt Morgan. Morgan is a 6'2" senior guard who is averaging 23.7 ppg, 9.3 rebounds, and 3.3 assists. He does so off of high fg % (55.4) and high 3 pt % (45.5). Look for Alterique or Tarin to guard him, as they've been killing it so far this year.
Also, seeing if Cobb can continue his breakout weekend will definitely be up there on things to look for. Obviously, not many saw him doing this, but he's been hitting first against some big competition. Which is exactly what Hurley, and us fans have looking for one of the bigs to do. Hopefully another emerges as the season goes on (Diarra maybe???).
No line yet, but ESPN is giving us a 81.5% chance to win the game. Hopefully the Syracuse game re-energized the fans to show up a little more on Tuesday.

I suggest you begin using tempo free stats.

It would keep you from confusing playing at a slow pace in halfcourt D for shining defensively or low average number of rebounds for being poor at rebounding (they are quite good at rebounding defensively). Your steal stat implies they get a lot of steals from pressure... but they don't. Their steal rate and opponent free throw rate are both low.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Team staying at a hotel in Hartford tonight. Does anyone know if thats something they did under KO?

Team does this pretty often for XL games...

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
That 2010 Big Red team was excellent. Went to the Sweet 16.

Not sure they've won 16 games in a season since.

Reaction Score

This has always been Jalen's biggest weakness. He avoids contact way too much. If he were to get to the line regularly he would be an all-American.

Great players get to the line regularly. It makes defenders give them more space to work with, puts the other teams starters into foul trouble, and should be "free" points.

Reaction Score
Back when I coached I used to run a drill called initiate contact. It got the kids comfortable with contact. I am somewhat amazed that someone as good as Jalen did not get this drilled into him a long time ago.

Reaction Score
Not expecting an OT win like we had against Columbia but this Cornell team is decent.

Reaction Score
I wonder if we'll hear any "Beat Big Red" chants.
A friend of a friend of mine actually knows BR personally. Rumor has it Red posts on the BY per this source. I am not trying to show off by having this inside info. The idea that somehow I know more "inside" info than say zion is pretty unfair. Rumor is though BDH has a key source of info and is working it hard.

Thank you very much.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom