On Rivalry Weekend, UConn and BC Continue to Hinder the Progress of College Football in New England | Page 2 | The Boneyard

On Rivalry Weekend, UConn and BC Continue to Hinder the Progress of College Football in New England

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Student tour guide at BC: "BC is the 3rd best Jesuit University in the US."
Intrigued student: "Who are the first 2?"
Informed parent: "Pick any 2"

Reaction Score
BC and BU are nothing more than excuses to waste $50,000 on what is largely the same education you can get at almost any non-Ivy, for a lot less money.

I agree. But in todays tough jobs market, BC and BU kids do have Mommy and Daddy's contacts that probably will have them set up better career wise than blue collar parents who have their kids come out of the state schools. Not in all cases, of course, but enough to give the Preppies the edge. Thats just life. I never found it insurmountable competing with the Preppies however. But the BC and BU kids do come out of that school with a degree and an edge on the numbers of contacts they have for jobs on the whole. But you're e right, they spend a lot of dough for that right.... unless they're on athletic scholarship or are are hardship, or are a legacy student.

Reaction Score
Ummm... Uconn football is dead.
An annual game against BC will never resurrect it. I can understand how the majority of the husky fans believe it will some how legitimize them so a P 5 league will want to pick them up. However, that is only a delusional dream. There is an obvious agreement Amoungst the P5 leagues that Sueconn is not welcome.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I agree. But in todays tough jobs market, BC and BU kids do have Mommy and Daddy's contacts that probably will have them set up better career wise than blue collar parents who have their kids come out of the state schools. Not in all cases, of course, but enough to give the Preppies the edge. Thats just life. I never found it insurmountable competing with the Preppies however. But the BC and BU kids do come out of that school with a degree and an edge on the numbers of contacts they have for jobs on the whole. But you're e right, they spend a lot of dough for that right.... unless they're on athletic scholarship or are are hardship, or are a legacy student.

Life is all about connections.

And charming good looks, as I well know-

Reaction Score
An annual game against BC will never resurrect it. I can understand how the majority of the husky fans believe it will some how legitimize them so a P 5 league will want to pick them up. However, that is only a delusional dream. There is an obvious agreement Amoungst the P5 leagues that Sueconn is not welcome.
I'll take national championships in multiple sports. You can have Wake Forest.

Reaction Score

Well.....there you have it......60 grand a year and you can post genius like this.

APA

Reaction Score
BC a "National School"?? Please, BC is a small, private, jesuit school. It's a good school, but there are a lot of good schools in New England. BC is more similar with Kenyon College than it is with Notre Dame.
This is simply a stupid post.

Reaction Score
I keep hearing people reference "championships in multiple sports". Just to be clear, you are referring to mens basketball and womens bball/field hockey ? Is that really what its all about, womens bball and field hockey championships ? I guess enjoy that if its what makes y'all happy.

I was also confused about an earlier post. "Throughout their Big East History, the REAL rivalry was ALWAYS Syracuse. BC was more of a guaranteed win perception. UConn & Syracuse played more meaningful games than UConn & the Jesuits ever did. In football, UConn has actually beaten the Cuse, both home & away." Maybe Im reading this wrong, but is this person trying to say that BC was perceived by uconn as a "guaranteed win". Its just confusing because, of course as we all know, uconn has never beat boston college. Also, it seems once again, some posters are forgetting that there was football before 2002, because to argue that uconn and syracuse played more "meaningful games" than BC-Cuse is ridiculous.

Reaction Score
BC a "National . BC is more similar with Kenyon College than it is with Notre Dame.

Speaking of ND, USC blew out ND today ( the same USC that BC blew out earlier this season ).
I don't know much about Kenyon College at all,, so I 'll defer to what you're saying regarding Kenyon College.

Reaction Score
Please, comparing BC and Notre Dame athletically is comical. Again, ND, actually wins national championships. BC just doesn't do that. As one of the previous BC poster stated, hockey championships are meaningless.

Reaction Score
Please, comparing BC and Notre Dame athletically is comical. Again, ND, actually wins national championships. BC just doesn't do that. As one of the previous BC poster stated, hockey championships are meaningless.

Wait until UCONN starts winning Hockey East championships and competing for national titles.

The priests will be out for blood.

Reaction Score
I didn't compare BC's national Championships in football (just 1 ) with ND's many National Championships in football at all. Where did you see that ? I never said that at all.. Thats what is perhaps " comical ". I only compared the ND game of today with USC this season and BC's game with USC this season, no more no less. I never even mentioned Hockey as important ( only as a sidebar to its unimportance in that even BC voted " yes " when Uconn Hockey came up to a possible Hockey East invite ) I did mention earlier that BC alums would like ND to be their rival, but that won't work as ND doesn't see BC as its football rival at all. Plus, BC does not play ND each year... but it will play Syracuse each year, so Syracuse and BC will meet up in the last regular season game each year.. a league game... and will probably become BC's future rival. In order for a football " rivalry " to work, both fan bases must see it as such. It can't be one sided. ND looks upon BC the same way BC looks upon Uconn. ( although the BC- ND games won loss record between the two being almost even the last dozen or so times they've played.. and most of the games usually coming down to the wire ). But ND certainly has the history, championships, etc.. of course...' goes without saying ) USC or Michigan is ND's football Rival. BC's rival is probably going to be Syracuse. Uconn will have to find one. If Umass gets untracked in football ( highly speculative.. perhaps even a long shot ) then Umass and Uconn seem like a good future football " rivalry " as they both are similar New England State Universities in that they still attract large percentages of in- state New England students to their schools, and have large segments of their grads that live and work in Connecticut and Massachusetts respectively. If only Umass football could get untracked, they'd be a great fit for Uconn for a New England College Football Rivalry. But thats a long shot it appears right now.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Man BC fans are sensitive. Go cash FSU's earnings and crawl back in your basement.

Reaction Score
Man BC fans are sensitive. Go cash FSU's earnings and crawl back in your basement.
haha,... actually I think I'm pretty thick skinned, and not overly sensitive to barbs or even the occasional comments that seem to me to make little to no sense at all... If one is " overly sensitive ", I suppose reading and making comments on a college football message board probably isn't going to keep such a person happy with what is said most of the time. But I assure you, I'm not overly sensitive to what is said on college football discussion boards. At least I don't believe so anyway. I hope posters here arn't too overly sensitive to my remarks on this thread either. My intent is not to inflame, nor insult.. and don't believe any of my comments so far have been in that realm, anyway,. But I'm open to discussion about my remarks if they at all seem mean spirited, insulting, crude,profane, demeaning,openly hostile, ridiculing, or whatever.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Actually, BC fans tend to be really thin skinned. Looked at their fan web site Fecal Action, if you don't drink the BC kool-aide they ban you from the site. I have never seen a group of people think so highly of themselves. BC pat themselves on the back quite often but never actually win at anything.

Reaction Score
Actually, BC fans tend to be really thin skinned. Looked at their fan web site Fecal Action, if you don't drink the BC kool-aide they ban you from the site. I have never seen a group of people think so highly of themselves. BC pat themselves on the back quite often but never actually win at anything.
ND fans I've met tend to think they are God's gift to College Football. They are far more arrogant and tend to " think highly of themselves " more than any other group of BE and ACC fans I have personally met at games and at gatherings, at offices, airports, etc.. And I've been to a lot of away and homes games over the years., and have traveled a lot on business. I don't see BC fans as hostile, arrogant, or think highly of themselves, as much as several other schools around the Country I've met in my travels. But if you have encountered lots of arrogant BC fans when you meet up with them face to face at games, or at the office, or worksite, then thats your personal experience with them, and that is certainly not to be discounted by anyone... including me. Everyone's life experiences are of course not the same, so far be it for me to discount your personal life's experiences with the BC fans, alums you have come in contact with in your lifetime.

Reaction Score
I keep hearing people reference "championships in multiple sports". Just to be clear, you are referring to mens basketball and womens bball/field hockey ? Is that really what its all about, womens bball and field hockey championships ? I guess enjoy that if its what makes y'all happy.

I was also confused about an earlier post. "Throughout their Big East History, the REAL rivalry was ALWAYS Syracuse. BC was more of a guaranteed win perception. UConn & Syracuse played more meaningful games than UConn & the Jesuits ever did. In football, UConn has actually beaten the Cuse, both home & away." Maybe Im reading this wrong, but is this person trying to say that BC was perceived by uconn as a "guaranteed win". Its just confusing because, of course as we all know, uconn has never beat boston college. Also, it seems once again, some posters are forgetting that there was football before 2002, because to argue that uconn and syracuse played more "meaningful games" than BC-Cuse is ridiculous.
You are not confused, you are just ignoring basketball Big East history. Of COURSE UConn has never beaten BC in football. They have only played a few times in their history. But the Big East's best rivalries across sports included UConn-Syracuse, NOT UConn-BC. So to answer the original question of potential football rivalries, UConn-Syracuse makes MUCH more sense than UConn-BC. You knew that but you are still stinging from UConn's Hockey East home opener of 2 weeks ago & nursing your bruised ego of the irony of a Hockey East neophyte beating BC in the only sport that it is relevant in.

Reaction Score
What a minute Coach, are you accusing someone from BC of being intellectually dishonest? Really?

Reaction Score
haha,... actually I think I'm pretty thick skinned, and not overly sensitive to barbs or even the occasional comments that seem to me to make little to no sense at all... If one is " overly sensitive ", I suppose reading and making comments on a college football message board probably isn't going to keep such a person happy with what is said most of the time. But I assure you, I'm not overly sensitive to what is said on college football discussion boards. At least I don't believe so anyway. I hope posters here arn't too overly sensitive to my remarks on this thread either. My intent is not to inflame, nor insult.. and don't believe any of my comments so far have been in that realm, anyway,. But I'm open to discussion about my remarks if they at all seem mean spirited, insulting, crude,profane, demeaning,openly hostile, ridiculing, or whatever.

If you think you are coming across as "thick skinned" by repeatedly posting on this board I don't know what to tell you.

Delusional and unaware come to mind......

pj

Reaction Score
UConn basketball played BC basketball just last year. It's football's turn. UConn wants an all-sports rivalry with BC. It has to include football.

Reaction Score
Uconn will have to find one. If Umass gets untracked in football ( highly speculative.. perhaps even a long shot ) then Umass and Uconn seem like a good future football " rivalry " as they both are similar New England State Universities in that they still attract large percentages of in- state New England students to their schools, and have large segments of their grads that live and work in Connecticut and Massachusetts respectively. If only Umass football could get untracked, they'd be a great fit for Uconn for a New England College Football Rivalry. But thats a long shot it appears right now.

I have nothing against UMass; but, raising the bar to get them to the level of UConn in sports (and academics) is simply not going to happen in the foreseeable future. UMass has bigger issues revolving around the folks with the purse strings on Beacon Hill can barely remember that UMass Amherst is even in Massachusetts. It's issues are UMass Lowell and UMass Boston. Martin Marty Meehan, a well connected former politician, has overseen a massive campus expansion in Lowell that has seen the school focus on bio-tech, add dorms, and jump the schools athletic programs up to D-1AA or whatever that is called now. UMass Boston, which has historically been a commuter campus, is targeted for 5,000 residences should Boston be selected as the 2024 Summer Olympic host as the athlete's village will be located there. Both moves would continue to drain dollars from UMass Amherst in a state where state universities are an after-thought to most families.

Reaction Score
What top New England basketball schools are the Huskies playing this season? The answer is none. There is no BC, PC, UMass, URI, or even Harvard on the schedule

BC isn't even a top tier basketball school on Commonwealth Avenue.

"even Harvard"....... are you kidding me?.....do you even follow BC basketball?

Reaction Score
the Big East's best rivalries across sports included UConn-Syracuse, NOT UConn-BC. So to answer the original question of potential football rivalries, UConn-Syracuse makes MUCH more sense than UConn-BC. .[/QUOTE]

Well, if true, then why do you suppose so many of your fellow Uconn football fans are in such a clamor to play BC in football as their preferred football rival, instead of attempting to make Syracuse their rival in football ? ( ..and thus, presumably would disagree with you then on this. ) Just asking, thats all.

pj

Reaction Score
Well, if true, then why do you suppose so many of your fellow Uconn football fans are in such a clamor to play BC in football as their preferred football rival, instead of attempting to make Syracuse their rival in football ? ( ..and thus, presumably would disagree with you then on this. ) Just asking, thats all.

BC-UConn would be a far better rivalry than Cuse-UConn. Syracuse was a rival only in basketball and was our top basketball rival for only a few years, UConn-Georgetown and UConn-St John's earlier and UConn-Pitt and UConn-Louisville later were about as good.

Unfortunately BC left the Big East as UConn football was joining; BC basketball was never competitive; and UConn hockey was a level down; so the rivalry never had a chance to develop. It's a natural though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom