On-ball defense | Page 2 | The Boneyard

On-ball defense

Reaction Score
I mean to me this looks like a team with a bunch of new players who have had limited practice time. They still held Hartford to under 60. That’s not bad defense. The refs were just brutal. Hurley is trying to figure out a lineup. Just be blessed we have basketball this season. The on ball defense will improve. With time.
I actually liked the refs calling so many touch fouls when playing an inferior opponent. Teaching moment to use our feet

Reaction Score
We played on ball defense with our guards like we had Akok and Whaley waiting at the rim. We did not

Reaction Score
I can’t get particularly excited about the refs yesterday. Were they calling it incredibly tight? Sure, but plenty of those calls went against Hartford too. This team needs to learn to adjust to the way the game is being called and quite a few players (Andre Jackson and Cole, I’m looking at you...) were taking unnecessary risks on defense where there was very minimal upside and got caught in bad positions.

For Andre especially, I’ve noticed that in both games. He desperately wants that steal and breakaway dunk (I mean I do too). The first game it led to some really easy baskets for CCSU since he took himself out of transition defense. This game it led more to fouls that put him on the bench. Pretty normal freshman stuff though. I’m sure Hurley will get it squared away.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Gilbert always put pressure on guards, Akok erased a lot of mistakes and Vital cleaned up on the boards. Our guards may not be as good defensively but if Whaley can settle down, Akok can come back and Martin is the player he looks to be we'll be okay on D.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom