On-ball defense | The Boneyard

On-ball defense

Reaction Score
Its pretty bad, no? None of the guards seem capable of keeping their guy in front of them and stopping the dribble-drive. And this was against Central and Hartford. They get beat every time and then reach.

Reaction Score
It's still early but it's a concern for me. Cole will be fine offensively but I'm worried that we're going to be in trouble against a lot of Big East teams when it comes to containing dribble penetration. Gaffney is typically solid. I think we'll eventually have to start Jackson or Martin for defensive reasons.

Reaction Score
Martin has to start for Polley for defense, and we have to play solid instead of being over aggressive. We play like this in conference play and there will be a lot of Ls...

Reaction Score
Very bad.

I agree with @Jumpman62114 that Martin was the only guy I saw good man defense. A little Adams, but he fouled a 3point shooter and that's unforgiveable. Whaley did his usual PnR disruption.

Everyone else wasn't just bad, but AWFUL.

Reaction Score
Its pretty bad, no? None of the guards seem capable of keeping their guy in front of them and stopping the dribble-drive. And this was against Central and Hartford. They get beat every time and then reach.
I think the problem too is the help defense is non existent. Fix that and itll cut down on the dribble drive.

Reaction Score
We are so much more talented this season overall. But this is where we do miss Vital and Alterique. Whaley is our best on ball defender against guards as of now.

Reaction Score
I mean to me this looks like a team with a bunch of new players who have had limited practice time. They still held Hartford to under 60. That’s not bad defense. The refs were just brutal. Hurley is trying to figure out a lineup. Just be blessed we have basketball this season. The on ball defense will improve. With time.

Reaction Score
So FWIW, I do think some of the game plan tonight was to take away the 3pt shot, funnel their guards into the lane, and then block shots or deny passes out of the lane. Some of the guards getting by defenders is by design.

But our help D and denial of passing when guards got into the lane was not great.

Reaction Score
We see the same thing every year. The defense guarding guys 30 feet from the basket. Picking up cheap fouls or letting the opposing guards get by them. The defense is much better when we relax and drop back a little. The exaggerated overplay almost always gets us in trouble. Relaxing the pressure just a bit would make us much more effective.

Reaction Score
We see the same thing every year. The defense guarding guys 30 feet from the basket. Picking up cheap fouls or letting the opposing guards get by them. The defense is much better when we relax and drop back a little. The exaggerated overplay almost always gets us in trouble. Relaxing the pressure just a bit would make us much more effective.

Don't copy/paste comments. Especially dumb ones that don't know what they're talking about.

Reaction Score
So FWIW, I do think some of the game plan tonight was to take away the 3pt shot, funnel their guards into the lane, and then block shots or deny passes out of the lane. Some of the guards getting by defenders is by design.

But our help D and denial of passing when guards got into the lane was not great.

I am okay with the pressure when we have a back like that can block shots like Whaley and Akok.

But jeez we need to work on sprinting amd recovery drills. The reaching fouls are ridiculous... such bad habits

Reaction Score
Polley needs to come off the bench for spot situation 3s only, this can’t be said enough.

That's completely wrong. Did you notice the 8 minute scoring drought. No Polley for seven of them. I don't think we ran a single play for Polley. He waited for the game to come to him and it never did. He never forced anything. Grabbed a couple of bards, had an assist and played decent defense. A very veteran approach tonight.

Reaction Score
Don't get the people dumping on Polley already. He's less than a year removed from a serious knee injury, and had turned himself from a big liability on defense to one of the better defenders on the team up until that point. It was his rebounding that was suspect.

I'd like to give him some time. Especially, after tonight Polley got called for a few questionable calls.

I am impressed with Martin though. He'll get playing time one way or another.

I also loved Whaley's second half tonight.

Reaction Score
Very bad.

I agree with @Jumpman62114 that Martin was the only guy I saw good man defense. A little Adams, but he fouled a 3point shooter and that's unforgiveable. Whaley did his usual PnR disruption.

Everyone else wasn't just bad, but AWFUL.
I thought Gaffney played pretty good defense and he had a couple nice blocks and steals. I like his length.

Reaction Score
Don't copy/paste comments. Especially dumb ones that don't know what they're talking about.

Just as accuarate as last time I posted it. I could save it and post it early every year.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
We play small ball and get killed on the perimeter against Central CT and Hartford. What will Big East teams do to the small lineups?

Reaction Score
Don't get the people dumping on Polley already. He's less than a year removed from a serious knee injury, and had turned himself from a big liability on defense to one of the better defenders on the team up until that point. It was his rebounding that was suspect.

I'd like to give him some time. Especially, after tonight Polley got called for a few questionable calls.

I am impressed with Martin though. He'll get playing time one way or another.

I also loved Whaley's second half tonight.
Polley has always had issues keeping people in front of him on defense. I always found it funny people wanting him to play the 3. LOL!

Reaction Score
Polley needs to come off the bench for spot situation 3s only, this can’t be said enough.
Have agreed with this for years. I want all our players to excel. With that said, if Tyler isn't drilling 3's, he does not do a lot of the things some other players do that lead to winning. It's not an effort thing. He is just not as versatile and athletic and nasty. We have other options now. In any given game it's step up or step aside.

Reaction Score
I don't think we ran a single play for Polley. He waited for the game to come to him and it never did. He never forced anything. Grabbed a couple of bards, had an assist and played decent defense. A very veteran approach tonight.

Polley did not play decent defense. He got burned like kindling. Had that 1 nice assist and was otherwise a complete zero. Complete opportunity cost. He hot potatoed a pass 35 feet from the basket.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
That's completely wrong. Did you notice the 8 minute scoring drought. No Polley for seven of them. I don't think we ran a single play for Polley. He waited for the game to come to him and it never did. He never forced anything. Grabbed a couple of bards, had an assist and played decent defense. A very veteran approach tonight.
That’s not the stat line out of a starter we want if we’re going to be good this year.

Reaction Score
That’s not the stat line out of a starter we want if we’re going to be good this year.

He only played 15 minutes and only took 2 shots. Obviously keeping him off the three point line was a priority for Hartford. We'll still a much better team with him on the floor as he keeps the defesne honest and opens space in the middle.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom