On a sidebar, there was at least one absolutely joke of a missed call | The Boneyard

On a sidebar, there was at least one absolutely joke of a missed call

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
And it came at a critical time. Late, down 3-5, and Mamuk does a dance around the three point line before driving to the hoop for a big dunk. Usually college refs call a walk if you do so much as an up-fake before you drive. This very large man took long three Euro steps in plain sight and somehow all three refs weren't watching.

They were probably all watching Sanogo to see if he was too close to somebody

NO: the refs weren't the difference makers, I know some internet warrior wants to go Boneyard on me.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
And it came at a critical time. Late, down 3-5, and Mamuk does a dance around the three point line before driving to the hoop for a big dunk. Usually college refs call a walk if you do so much as an up-fake before you drive. This very large man took long three Euro steps in plain sight and somehow all three refs weren't watching.

NO: the refs weren't the difference makers, I know some internet warrior wants to go Boneyard on me.
The announcers replayed a couple of times and confirmed he walked too

Reaction Score

No doubt it was a walk willie, no doubt they missed it. Spanarkle caught it immediately. They actually treat Mamu like Michael out there too many touch fouls on a guy who creates physicality when he plays.

It all evened out as far as fouls although I have no clue how you can actually replay the intentional foul and not come up with the correct result. His hand didn't get to pull his shirt "by mistake" it was an intentional move by the player. Awful job there too. But Dans T was also an awful job, 4 point swings should be avoided when coming back.

Last edited:

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I thought for sure we're getting two free throws and the ball on that breakaway / intentional foul

The other one that puzzled me was the call on Sanogo when the Seton Hall player was falling out of bounds trying to save a bad pass. Did Sanogo even touch the guy? Don't think they showed the replay. I believe that's what led to Hurley's T and the four point play by Hall

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Apparently sliding on your knees along the floor with the ball isn’t traveling any more. In fact I think they have pretty much eliminated traveling as a rule.

Hall got away with this at least 4 times yesterday.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I thought for sure we're getting two free throws and the ball on that breakaway / intentional foul

The other one that puzzled me was the call on Sanogo when the Seton Hall player was falling out of bounds trying to save a bad pass. Did Sanogo even touch the guy? Don't think they showed the replay. I believe that's what led to Hurley's T and the four point play by Hall
The charge on Brendan when the guy wasn’t even standing up let alone had position.

can’t complain too bad though because we somehow turned a shot clock violation into a 3 point play

Reaction Score
Apparently sliding on your knees along the floor with the ball isn’t traveling any more. In fact I think they have pretty much eliminated traveling as a rule.

We couldn’t even run our outside weave if the refs called traveling the way it used to be called. We walk between catching the ball and either passing or dribbling a huge percentage of the time.

The no call on the Mamu baseline move was a bad call. But it wasn’t as if the refs were hurting us throughout the game. Missed calls happen.

Reaction Score
The charge on Brendan when the guy wasn’t even standing up let alone had position.

can’t complain too bad though because we somehow turned a shot clock violation into a 3 point play

The foul was before the shot clock ended. The release of the shot was after the shot clock ended. So it was a foul, but I have no clue whether in that situation you allow the continuation after the shot clock expires, it turns into a non-shooting foul even though he was fouled in the act because the release came too late, or it’s a two shot foul even though his shot went in. If anyone knows the rule I’d love to hear it.

Reaction Score

Very bad call, I actually did the rewinnd to review it and and no clue what the zebras were watching.

also many piviot foots dragging out there

Reaction Score
The foul was before the shot clock ended. The release of the shot was after the shot clock ended. So it was a foul, but I have no clue whether in that situation you allow the continuation after the shot clock expires, it turns into a non-shooting foul even though he was fouled in the act because the release came too late, or it’s a two shot foul even though his shot went in. If anyone knows the rule I’d love to hear it.
The game clock stops when the foul occurs, as does the shot clock. If the foul is called prior to the shot clock going off, the shot clock doesn’t exist for the rest of that play. The and 1 was the correct call, but the foul itself wasn’t a foul in my opinion.

Reaction Score
The game clock stops when the foul occurs, as does the shot clock. If the foul is called prior to the shot clock going off, the shot clock doesn’t exist for the rest of that play. The and 1 was the correct call, but the foul itself wasn’t a foul in my opinion.
Thank you. In my 61 years of watching basketball, I'd never actually seen that play. (And yes, I know the early years were pre-shot clock.) I had no idea what the rule was.

FWIW, I did think it was a foul, albeit not much of one.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
In a situation like that I’d love the ref to have a mic to explain wth is going on. The NBA has finally started doing this on reviews.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Very bad call, I actually did the rewinnd to review it and and no clue what the zebras were watching.

also many piviot foots dragging out there
I have actually seen a few instances of this play being called a foul this year. Same situation with the guy coming around the screen. Must have been a “point of emphasis” however I had no idea one knee on the ground falling on your ass was legal guarding position.

Reaction Score
That call where seton hall was in the corner and fell out of bounds, but ref called foul on Sanogo was big too. 3rd foul on Sanogo forced him out of game, and 5 point swing after technical on Hurley a second later and a 3 on same possession.

Reaction Score
I wish refs did something like MLB (or at least what they used to do) in getting together with other refs after a close call and overturning it if another ref it more clearly. Too many times refs have too big an ego to say they were wrong. Especially those assigned to the big East / AAC which we’ve seen over the years

Reaction Score
How many times people going to mention "Hurley's T"? Pretty sure we've established it was called on the bench, not coach.
Hurley said one ref told him it was on the bench and another told him it was against him. But that's coming from Hurley. Does it say anything in the boxscore or the play-by-play for the correct explanation?

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Hurley said one ref told him it was on the bench and another told him it was against him. But that's coming from Hurley. Does it say anything in the boxscore or the play-by-play for the correct explanation?
Hurley went on to say that the one who said it was on him said he was out of the box. But he wasn't. At least on of the beat writers also tweeted that it was on the bench. In light of that I'll give Hurley the benefit of the doubt.

Reaction Score
I wondered about that too. My assumption was that the basket wouldn't count, but it would be a 2-shot foul, just like any other blocked/missed shot while getting fouled.

Reaction Score

nor dragging your pivot foot/toe.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

Sliding on the floor with the ball isn't a travel. As long as they didn't go the floor with the ball.

This.

It’s not a travel.

Reaction Score
I have actually seen a few instances of this play being called a foul this year. Same situation with the guy coming around the screen. Must have been a “point of emphasis” however I had no idea one knee on the ground falling on your ass was legal guarding position.
very odd, I thoght I was gong to see a drop off the shoulder on the rewind but that was not the case either...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom