OMG: A CW Article | The Boneyard

OMG: A CW Article

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
UConn commit Christyn Williams embracing the present, excited for future

“I pretty much watch every game. I have the ESPN app, so I keep up with them,” Williams said. “I think about how it’s going to be me next year and that’s really crazy, so that will be a big difference. I like the way UConn plays, they always work hard and I’m really excited to be a part of it.”

“If you tell her what it is she needs to do, she’ll work on it and make it better,” Quattlebaum said. “The amazing thing is that as good as she is right now, I know when she gets to UConn in the fall, because of how hard she’s going to work, she’s going to be better than she is now. She has always been a decent 3-point shooter, but she’s a really good 3-point shooter now. She has improved her passing skills and overall game. She’s so strong with the ball, that’s probably what separates her, is how strong she is. Kids just bounce off of her. It’s hard to take the ball from her.”

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Williams is averaging 25.5 points while shooting nearly 60 percent from the field and almost 45 percent from 3-point range. She is also contributing 9.5 rebounds, 2.6 assists, 1.8 steals and 1.6 blocked shots per game.

If accurate, these percentages are up pretty significantly from her junior season.

Reaction Score
This post would be more helpful and better placed in the thread at the top of the board dedicated to all news concerning UCONN Signees: CW and Ono. Created last November. Thanks.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
My favorite quote :D

Williams played with UConn starting point guard Crystal Dangerfield and freshman forward Megan Walker on the U.S. team that finished second in the FIBA Under-19 Women’s Basketball World Cup. When she signed her national letter of intent, she mentioned Dangerfield as a player she is excited to play with once again.

“I want to play with a great point guard, so it’s good to play with a guard who knows how to read the floor, that’s pretty important, and plus I played with her with USA this summer,” Williams said.

Smart girl. :D

HGN

Reaction Score
It's exciting to think that UConn will have Danger , Megan , and Chrystyn , together for at least 2 years. Danger has shown she is AA caliber ; Megan has shown outstanding
potential ; and Chrystyn shows promise. The Husky bench should continue to develop and bring in more McDonald AA's.

They are only missing a couple of BIGS.

Reaction Score
I know this moves the discussion in a bit of a different direction, but watching Baylor last night and knowing what trouble other teams with "big bigs" have caused UConn, it seems important that Batouly comes around and that Kyla gets tough under the boards. UConn needs some space eaters.

Reaction Score
UConn commit Christyn Williams embracing the present, excited for future

“I pretty much watch every game. I have the ESPN app, so I keep up with them,” Williams said. “I think about how it’s going to be me next year and that’s really crazy, so that will be a big difference. I like the way UConn plays, they always work hard and I’m really excited to be a part of it.”

“If you tell her what it is she needs to do, she’ll work on it and make it better,” Quattlebaum said. “The amazing thing is that as good as she is right now, I know when she gets to UConn in the fall, because of how hard she’s going to work, she’s going to be better than she is now. She has always been a decent 3-point shooter, but she’s a really good 3-point shooter now. She has improved her passing skills and overall game. She’s so strong with the ball, that’s probably what separates her, is how strong she is. Kids just bounce off of her. It’s hard to take the ball from her.”

Most of the Akansan Kids I knew, as friends of my kids, and as students were hard working. They took their given tasks seriously. They , for the most part, know how to work hard. The singular thing that impressed me, as a east coast biased jerk, was their intelligence.
So I have a strong belief this kid will only be told once--this is what you need to do to play for me--and Geno will get it.
I'm excited to think Uconn will have to great kids to join sensational kids next year.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Most of the Akansan Kids I knew, as friends of my kids, and as students were hard working. They took their given tasks seriously. They , for the most part, know how to work hard. The singular thing that impressed me, as a east coast biased jerk, was their intelligence.
So I have a strong belief this kid will only be told once--this is what you need to do to play for me--and Geno will get it.
I'm excited to think Uconn will have to great kids to join sensational kids next year.

Okey Dokey! ;) I'll take okey dokey over the down east uh yuh or yup any time.

Reaction Score
Okey Dokey! ;) I'll take okey dokey over the down east uh yuh or yup any time.
Okie Dokey---I knew I'd like everything about CW. We used Okie Dokey , and still do at times, Just one more thing for me to like. Is that Okie Dokey with you all?
My Yankee raised kids, within 3 months of being in Arkansan schools--Ya-all'ed with the best then learned Puerto Rican Spanish in P.R. out of self protections, then taught English as an Second language in Calif.
YEAH--doneknow-yeah --so's ya mutter.(north east) Yup, yep --more OKla--in Arkansas--to adults, people in charge--Yes mam, no mam--Yes sir, no sir. Geno will love that.

Reaction Score
If CW plans to play a lot next season, I hope she’s working on her defense.

Just saying....
I can give assurance she will work hard--but I'm fairly sure there is no way she can be prepared to play Uconn defense. But she will work to do it the way Geno dictates--with an Okey Dokey, and yes sir.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I can give assurance she will work hard--but I'm fairly sure there is no way she can be prepared to play Uconn defense. But she will work to do it the way Geno dictates--with an Okey Dokey, and yes sir.

The way to break into the line up is to show confidence that you belong and you bring something the team needs. She will get good minutes I am sure. Defense will come. The main point is that she recognizes it and wants to work on it.

Reaction Score
I know this moves the discussion in a bit of a different direction, but watching Baylor last night and knowing what trouble other teams with "big bigs" have caused UConn, it seems important that Batouly comes around and that Kyla gets tough under the boards. UConn needs some space eaters.
\

I have serious doubts Batouly will be ready this year. Watch her carefully in the tiny moments she gets into the game. Her movements are labored, she seems to wander around, with a set up shot --she misses
Is this because of injury, lack of practice, lack of PT?? Only Geno knows. Personally, I don't think she'll be ready this year.
Irwin--She is a tuff mutt. When her shot is falling she can be dangerous-but it is not a given she will shoot well. She plays ok defense. She has no fear in shooting, and shoots at times when she should pass.\ All that said she can give a minute or two of relief for Gabby or Napheesa, when the game is not on the line. If Uconn is in a give and take defensive and scoring game--I would not put Irwin in that game.
Just my view, un professional as it may be --of what I think I saw in the amount of time I had to view them. Molly is a fair ball handler, is gaining confidence, could relieve Danger--but in crunch time I'd rather have her on the bench. I'd trust Walker in crunch. If pushed maybe Coombs.

Reaction Score
The way to break into the line up is to show confidence that you belong and you bring something the team needs. She will get good minutes I am sure. Defense will come. The main point is that she recognizes it and wants to work on it.
I could agree with you more and I do. EXACTLY. Confidence, belief in your abilities, with talent to back it up, will get you PT--to stay on the Floor Defense helps loads.

Reaction Score
I really like Williams chances of starting next year, if not at the start of the season then at some point

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
They are only missing a couple of BIGS.
ONO comes on board next year and If Ezi comes stateside, there's a good chance she comes to UCONN. If not, we are recruiting Boston, Brunelle, and I believe Amihere from 2019. Lots of bigs being recruited on the horizon... Plus we will still have Azura next season. I look for her to be a NPOY candidate along with Lou and Napheesa...

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

She intimated she needs better opponents to get better at defense. I can understand that.

Reaction Score
I really like Williams chances of starting next year, if not at the start of the season then at some point
I'm pretty sure you'll see something like the Walker working CW into the rotation. I think they are cut from close to the same mold, with CW being a tad more teachable.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
IMHO starters next season will be Crystal, Megan, Lou, Napheesa, Azura. I believe Megan will have a "sophomore leap" as will Coombs. This means that off the bench, for guards, CW will be competing with Coombs (and in theory Bent). I do think Bent will get decent PT, but believe she will end up last on the depth chart for guards.

I think it will take CW and ONO some time, but expect them to both get PT and opportunities like Megan this year so I think both will average 10-15 MPG. Given that Geno did not play any of the freshmen or sophomores against Texas, there are still 2 more chances to see if he gets them in against big time teams (SC and L'ville).

My rambling point is with those 5 starters, there needs to be at least 2 off the bench that he can rely on in big games. I believe those 2 will be Mikayla and Batouly. At least that's my hope. Coombs as a guard backup and Camara as a post backup. I believe both of them will pass Molly and Kyla on the depth chart. If CW and ONO grow at least as fast as MW, they could see time against teams like ND, SC, etc. but probably only in the 2nd half of the season...

No matter how great CW and ONO may be, it will take them time. Meg, and especially Mikayla, seem to have struggled to "get it" this season. I'm hopeful that Meg has turned the corner, and Geno seems to be putting in Mikayla for extended minutes as well. Let's hope they are both past the freshman wall...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom