Omar comin'! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Omar comin'!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ever since his return I watch all games with a box of honeynut Cheerios in my lap and a pack of Newport ( soft pack) on the arm chair

And cuddling with your boy Brandon.

Kidding!

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Clearly our 2nd best player out there today!

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
It was great to see a big smile on his face after hitting one of his threes in the first half, when the camera panned over to him. He's having fun again while playing the game.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
For the second game in a row he caught the ball at the three point line, made a strong fake, took a dribble and squared up on the baseline. That's a money move. No floaters or runners. When you can make that move you have confidence in your legs and your stroke.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I'm so happy for this guy
He's been through a lot
I was concerned if he was ever going to get his confidence back and honestly thought he was playing head games within himself
A few more games like today and he will be a HUGE factor

Reaction Score
Clearly our 2nd best player out there today!

He was our 2nd best offensive player for sure. Now we need him to get little better defensively. Hey look, he's doing what we need him to do anyway and it's great, huge for the team. The kid deserves the praise for his comeback he worked hard to get back to this point.

now just give your guy some space on D so you can cut off the 1st step, that's all.

Reaction Score
From the stories I read about Omar and his parents, he is a great kid with a good head on his shoulders. When it looked like he had one foot out the door, I was concerned about the impact on team chemistry. Either that foot was never out the door or it is back in. I am just happy it is working out for him.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
So happy for Omar. He's playing decisively and looks more than a step quicker than his freshman year form. He's contributing in more ways than one and he's showing toughness. He's also found form with his jump shot. Not only his 3-ball, but the mid-range 15-ft pull-up in the lane is automatic and a great weapon for us.

He's seeing the fruits of his labor come to fruition. Who deserves it more than Omar after dealing with the post-season ban his freshman year then hip issues last year and his MCL sprain a few months ago? He's come a long way from the beginning of this year when there was transfer speculation and comments from Ollie about players sitting when he thinks they're healthy enough to contribute. Maybe it was good that he waiting so long with his knee after all.

He finally appears healthy. Although I saw this near the end Borges' blog about him having an injured toe? The text looks like it may not be in the right spot. Anyone know? (http://borgesblognhr.blogspot.com/2015/01/kevin-ollie-rakim-lubin-was-like-i-got.html?m=1):

"OMAR CALHOUN:

“If you can score in less than three dribbles, that’s what people like to see. Whatever the defense gives me, I can work off -- 3’s, mid-range.”

recently sprained toe in practice, battling that during game, health-wise, around 70-75 percent, altogether."

Reaction Score
There's a video on the UConn huskies YouTube account where he says he's about 70-75% so the quote is right. If he's playing this well still banged up I can't imagine how good he'll look a few levels above this if he can stay healthy.

So happy for Omar. He's playing decisively and looks more than a step quicker than his freshman year form. He's contributing in more ways than one and he's showing toughness. He's also found form with his jump shot. Not only his 3-ball, but the mid-range 15-ft pull-up in the lane is automatic and a great weapon for us.

He's seeing the fruits of his labor come to fruition. Who deserves it more than Omar after dealing with the post-season ban his freshman year then hip issues last year and his MCL sprain a few months ago? He's come a long way from the beginning of this year when there was transfer speculation and comments from Ollie about players sitting when he thinks they're healthy enough to contribute. Maybe it was good that he waiting so long with his knee after all.

He finally appears healthy. Although I saw this near the end Borges' blog about him having an injured toe? The text looks like it may not be in the right spot. Anyone know? (http://borgesblognhr.blogspot.com/2015/01/
kevin-ollie-rakim-lubin-was-like-i-got.html?m=1
):

"OMAR CALHOUN:

“If you can score in less than three dribbles, that’s what people like to see. Whatever the defense gives me, I can work off -- 3’s, mid-range.”

recently sprained toe in practice, battling that during game, health-wise, around 70-75 percent, altogether."

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
TaPDRH1.jpg

Even better. Make a poster of this and bring it to a game. I'm sure Omar and the team would get a kick out of it.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Yes.Omar said he is at 70%.
If he improves 15% (let alone 30%) it will be amazing. Great young man.

I think the transfer talk was all speculation. Half of it from here.

Reaction Score
Yes.Omar said he is at 70%.
If he improves 15% (let alone 30%) it will be amazing. Great young man.

I think the transfer talk was all speculation. Half of it from here.
Well more than half, I also notice the ringleader of that talk hasn't walked his "the writing is on the wall" comments back yet either...

Eskapeesto

The specter of ExtraPesto is haunting the Cesspool
Reaction Score
"Omar comin" has gone mainstream. :cool:

Hope you all heard the ESPNU announcer use it after an Omar trey against ECU.

Reaction Score
Need Omar back because for the last 4 or so it's more like "Omar Stallin'"

Reaction Score
Omar is a good spot up shooter but not much else. He is a key guy off the bench but he really doesn't play much defense to warrant a lot of minutes in the game right now.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
He's Brian Fair only without a jump shot. :(

Reaction Score
He's Brian Fair only without a jump shot. :(

Brian Fair actually played a little D and occasionally guarded someone. And he was a much better shooter and could create - would love him on this team.

Omar looked so confident and was having fun and suddenly he looks to be pressing, hesitating and hence there's no smiling. And as said above, if he's not making shots there's not a lot there. Although I did see him sticking his nose in to rebound the other night a few times. Hope he begins his shot starting tomorrow.

Reaction Score
Brian Fair actually played a little D and occasionally guarded someone. And he was a much better shooter and could create - would love him on this team.

Omar looked so confident and was having fun and suddenly he looks to be pressing, hesitating and hence there's no smiling. And as said above, if he's not making shots there's not a lot there. Although I did see him sticking his nose in to rebound the other night a few times. Hope he begins his shot starting tomorrow.
Also, when the lane is clear as someone is playing him too close he needs to take advantage of that as he has done on a few occasions this year. He isn't a great dribbler but needs to keep teams honest. Of course I hope it doesn't get to his head and he starts driving recklessly like he did against Stanford. LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom