Omar Comin' | The Boneyard

Omar Comin'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The Huskies have so much depth at guard that junior Omar Calhoun, who struggled with his shot as a sophomore, is often overlooked. But talk around the program is that Calhoun is having a terrific summer. That could be a huge bonus for the Huskies. “Omar’s shot is falling,” Purvis said. “I can’t wait to see Omar this year.”

http://kendavisfiles.com/2014/07/24/purvis-ready-to-hit-ignition-button-for-uconn/

Reaction Score
Great to hear. If JC was still coach that comment actually would have made me nervous for Omar next season.

Reaction Score
It sounds like Purvis believes his making shots is something that wasn't a trend last year in practice………what a weapon off the bench if his confidence soars!!

Reaction Score
Omar literally could not get shots to fall in pre game warm ups last year. Shots that went in as a freshman rattled out all last year. It was as if there was a lid on the hoop, even during warm ups. Double digit Omar would be a huge weapon off the bench if he returns to form.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Rooting for him, but I've lost trust in him. Prove me wrong mr Calhoun!

Reaction Score
This kid was highly touted after his senior summer and I thought he could have easily decomitted but he stayed loyal and kept his commitment.. Was a "glue" guy for me given the state of the program at the time... He can make big shots And has a winning pedigree but my issue is his defense.. Both on the ball ( not so bad) but his off the ball defense is horrific.

Gifey and kromah were by far our best off ball "deny" defenders. (Kromah better on ball.. Giff best off ball). We will miss that but oc needs to rebound and play d.. If not there isn't a lot of pt

Reaction Score
Easy kid to root for. I hope he put DHAM on the pine.

Have a couple Prez? LO……….rooting for a kid is one thing but to throw another "on the pine" is a bit harsh………kidding

Anyway the reality is, like it or not, DHam's abilities and ceiling are higher than Omar's whether he's played a college game or not. If he's sitting for Omar we're not as good of a team, sorry just one mans opinion! Having said that Omar could easily become our microwave off the bench with a solid shooting season.

Reaction Score
The dual surgeries Omar had are not trivial to recover from and thus he did not have enough time to really get his legs ready (straight ahead strength comes back quickly, but lateral movement, deed squatting, jumping come along much more slowly - speaking from experience with this specific type of procedure). Assuming he didn't have cartilage damage from the underlying condition, I would suspect he is back extremely close to 100% by now. People forget his defense and his string of 5+ rebound games prior to going down with the hand/wrist injury.

Assuming they didn't need to have micro fracture to stimulate cartilage growth, I am confident that his movement will be back to what it was before but without the pain.

Reaction Score
Have a couple Prez? LO……….rooting for a kid is one thing but to throw another "on the pine" is a bit harsh………kidding

Anyway the reality is, like it or not, DHam's abilities and ceiling are higher than Omar's whether he's played a college game or not. If he's sitting for Omar we're not as good of a team, sorry just one mans opinion! Having said that Omar could easily become our microwave off the bench with a solid shooting season.

I'd rather have the guy whose been in the league and on the team for a couple of years as the stability from the tip and the talented youngster being the guy to come off the bench. By the end of the year they can flip it, but believe in Omar, I want him to tear it up. Remember what he showed us his freshman year

Reaction Score
The dual surgeries Omar had are not trivial to recover from and thus he did not have enough time to really get his legs ready (straight ahead strength comes back quickly, but lateral movement, deed squatting, jumping come along much more slowly - speaking from experience with this specific type of procedure). Assuming he didn't have cartilage damage from the underlying condition, I would suspect he is back extremely close to 100% by now. People forget his defense and his string of 5+ rebound games prior to going down with the hand/wrist injury.

Assuming they didn't need to have micro fracture to stimulate cartilage growth, I am confident that his movement will be back to what it was before but without the pain.

THIS. When posters always comment that all he does is shoot I wonder did they watch him at all to close out his freshman seasn before the wrist ultimately sidelined him, he was becoming a much more well rounded player. If he can get back to that level I will be very happy with Omar and he will definitely be in the mix to start at the wing/SF spot.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score

Yes! Yes I did, and I was on the back end of a long trek back from Accra Ghana (Amida was on my flight out there btw) But I stand by my comments. I want Omar to come back and play so well and with a chip on his shoulder that D-Ham has to wait his turn.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I hope so...I feel horrible when I type "Omar Goin'".

Reaction Score
Every aspect of his play last year was terrible . Especially defense (possessions vs st joes I think it was stick out). That makes me believe he wasn't close to physical recovery from those surgeries . That's good because he can do a 180 and get back to frosh versatile omar. Not ticking time bomb sophomore omar.

Reaction Score
Interesting part of RP's quote:

" ‘Man, I’ve got to get one of these so I can actually see how it feels.’ ”

As a redshirt, did he not get a ring?? or was he just commenting on not being an active participant?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
OkaForPrez said:
Yes! Yes I did, and I was on the back end of a long trek back from Accra Ghana (Amida was on my flight out there btw)
Did he foul the stewardess and then smile ? Love that kid.

Reaction Score
Interesting part of RP's quote:

" ‘Man, I’ve got to get one of these so I can actually see how it feels.’ ”

As a redshirt, did he not get a ring?? or was he just commenting on not being an active participant?

I'm sure he still got a ring. Cheerleaders and band members get rings, so there's no way that Purvis, who actually practiced with the team, didn't get one. I'm not sure how much it means to him, since he wasn't playing.

Reaction Score
Omar needs to develop something that resembles a handle

Omar simply had a tough year.. Sometimes that happens to players... Maybe because he might not have been really been ready to ball after the surgeries??? I think he bursts on the scene this upcoming season. Don't be surprised if he ends up most improved player at the conference and national levels...

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
If only UConn also had a point guard named Heisenburg.

Reaction Score
Omar simply had a tough year.. Sometimes that happens to players... Maybe because he might not have been really been ready to ball after the surgeries??? I think he bursts on the scene this upcoming season. Don't be surprised if he ends up most improved player at the conference and national levels...
Definitely rooting for him

Reaction Score
Calhoun seems to remind me of J C-M. Obviously last year was entirely a flop, but there were games his freshman year when he would get 18 PTS, then the next game he would drop 5. A consistent 8-10 a game with 4 boards would be huge for this team considering the depth we have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom