Omar Calhoun | The Boneyard

Omar Calhoun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
At the start of the season he was pretty much a stand still shooter who needed to have space to hit his shots. Usually when he tried to penetrate he would lose the ball or at least get himself in a position where he couldn't score. His passing and defense weren't very good.
Fast forward to today and we see a much more polished player who can create his own shot, score in the paint, rebound and play good defense. Omar has gone from a non factor to a stud and he will only get better. It is going to be fun watching this kid become the next great Uconn wing player.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
The next step is becoming the guy teams focus on. It's a lot easier to play well when you're the 3rd or 4th scoring option. But from what he's shown throughout the year, I have no doubt he'll adjust quickly to the added attention when it comes his way and continue to play well. The kid is going to be a phenomenal player for us when all is said and done; the sky is the limit.

C

Chief00

I like his focus and toughness. Playing effectively with the sprained wrist was impressive. He still found ways to contribute.

Reaction Score
He really was impressive last night still fighting through the tape and bad wrist..........his left is real good as we know now but then all of sudden a burst of 3's and pull up's to help us gain control.......add to the list many scrums he found his way into the kids a fighter. Still can't pass but I'm beginning to overlook that lol........he's a real nice player and to top it off a great kid!!

C

Chief00

He is fortunate to come from a really special family - he has that support system and guidance.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Omar was responsible for making the game a comfortable win in the end. He doesn't look like a Freshman out there. The sky is the limit and I love how he's improved and honed his game. He's money from mid-range despite the low release.

Reaction Score
The next step is becoming the guy teams focus on. It's a lot easier to play well when you're the 3rd or 4th scoring option. But from what he's shown throughout the year, I have no doubt he'll adjust quickly to the added attention when it comes his way and continue to play well. The kid is going to be a phenomenal player for us when all is said and done; the sky is the limit.
I think next year, especially if Bazz stays, teams will be unable to focus on him any more than they do now. We will have an improved front court. Raw offensive players they might be but leave them for a second in the paint and we will enjoy it immensely. Try to shut down Omar if you must!

Reaction Score
I think he still has a long way to go on his defense. He seems to be a step behind his man almost every time they drive the ball. It's serviceable, but I think he can be better. That being said, his offensive development has been very impressive to watch. He's really started using the threat of the 3 to get his guy up in the air and then go in for an easy shot. I think he comes back next year and takes a very big leap.

Reaction Score
I could be wrong but I don't see him as a 1st scoring option type of player. I said this before he came to Uconn. He reminds me of Dyson and still does. For a couple reasons, his shot is very unorthodox. And he has similar explosive athleticism and good driving ability with strength to help him get to the rim. The difference is I think he is more athletici than Dyson, but the trade off was Dyson had better handles. However, Omar could improve his handle dramatically and probably will. In fact I think he will have a better career than Dyson. But like Dyson I see a player that because of his unorthodox shot and limited handle, he will be a better compliment player than a star player. I am not trying to bash on his game at all. I think he has awesome talent. Just making a prediction based on my own subjective logic.

I think we will recruit a guy from the 14' class that will be a star and Calhoun will compliment him perfectly. Just as he compliments Boatright and Napier perfectly. He adds the forceful 2 to the 1,2 punch that every team looks for. I think if Napier stays next year this team can make a final four run. Napier, Boatright, Calhoun, Daniels are such a difficult scoring lineup to defend and they all bring a very diverse set of skills that compliment each other very well and they seem to be figuring each other out more, the more that they play together. From offensive pov: Napier=pure shooter, scorer,dimer Boatright=quickness/athletisism,scorer, dimer Calhoun=Explosive athleticism, shooter, driving ability/strength (Dysonesque) Daniels=long athlete, scorer, shooter. NO one has to agree. Just my perspective.

Reaction Score
is it just me or would anyone else like him so much more if he has a pretty/nice release rather than the one he has right now? Anyway that said, Omar has hit some HUGE shots this year in the 2nd half and down the stretch. Napier and Boatright are the stars but UConn would be a much lesser team without Calhoun.

Reaction Score
I agree. I think his release is what will keep him from being a possible starter in the NBA. Simply because his trigger, though quick, will not be quick enough with that type of form. His handle is also limiting him but I predict a vast improvement.

Reaction Score
I could be wrong but I don't see him as a 1st scoring option type of player. I said this before he came to Uconn. He reminds me of Dyson and still does. For a couple reasons, his shot is very unorthodox. And he has similar explosive athleticism and good driving ability with strength to help him get to the rim. The difference is I think he is more athletici than Dyson, but the trade off was Dyson had better handles. However, Omar could improve his handle dramatically and probably will. In fact I think he will have a better career than Dyson. But like Dyson I see a player that because of his unorthodox shot and limited handle, he will be a better compliment player than a star player. I am not trying to bash on his game at all. I think he has awesome talent. Just making a prediction based on my own subjective logic.

I think we will recruit a guy from the 14' class that will be a star and Calhoun will compliment him perfectly. Just as he compliments Boatright and Napier perfectly. He adds the forceful 2 to the 1,2 punch that every team looks for. I think if Napier stays next year this team can make a final four run. Napier, Boatright, Calhoun, Daniels are such a difficult scoring lineup to defend and they all bring a very diverse set of skills that compliment each other very well and they seem to be figuring each other out more, the more that they play together. From offensive pov: Napier=pure shooter, scorer,dimer Boatright=quickness/athletisism,scorer, dimer Calhoun=Explosive athleticism, shooter, driving ability/strength (Dysonesque) Daniels=long athlete, scorer, shooter. NO one has to agree. Just my perspective.

For me it's too early to tell. With RB and SN, the coaches are only asking him to be a spot-up shooter most of the time and that works well with the team identity as a whole. If he develops a better handle, I could certainly see him taking that next big step as a primary scorer, or as you said, he could always just be that strong complimentary player. My hope is that he develops the dominant mid-range game that we've seen so often at UConn and KO just sends him constantly around screens to get that shot.

Reaction Score
is it just me or would anyone else like him so much more if he has a pretty/nice release rather than the one he has right now? Anyway that said, Omar has hit some HUGE shots this year in the 2nd half and down the stretch. Napier and Boatright are the stars but UConn would be a much lesser team without Calhoun.

It's a tough position to be in for a coach. On one hand it's working agains the competition he's facing, so why change it, but on the other hand, it may be best for him in the long-run to change to a more normal shooting form.

Reaction Score
I have hammered a bit on him for his ability to handle and pass it......but I have noticed a hint of ability in both and maybe, just maybe he will improve in both categories and become an all around stud!! I think he can.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom