Omar Calhoun sister is possible package deal update from borges | The Boneyard

Omar Calhoun sister is possible package deal update from borges

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
The link includes an admission by the AD of Boston College that BC blocked UConn's application to the ACC. I can find it a lot easier to despise these traitors more than anyone else. I mean ANYONE else!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Thanks for the link.

Here's the part of Borges' blog on Omar's sister, Sierra Calhoun, who was in Storrs with her brother this weekend.

When Calhoun does officially arrive in Storrs next fall, he could be somewhat of a package deal. Calhoun’s sister, Sierra, is a sophomore at Christ the King High School (where Omar is a senior this year). A 6-foot guard, she’s one of the top female players in the country and is being recruited heavily by all the major powers: UConn, Tennessee, Maryland, etc.

Obviously, she wouldn’t be a freshman at UConn until Omar’s junior year. But there’s certainly a strong possibility that the two will be in Storrs together someday.

“Absolutely. That’s the goal,” said Omar, Sr.

In fact, she was up in Storrs with her brother this past weekend, as well, though she didn’t get a chance to see Geno Auriemma, who was off in Europe with Team USA. But both Auriemma and assistant coach Chris Dailey have seen plenty of Sierra, ever since she was in eighth grade.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Omar's build reminds me of Ray Allen. I'd love to see him have the same work ethic and develop a world-class stroke. Same for Sierra.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
"We didn't want them in," DeFilippo said. "It was a matter of turf. We wanted to be the New England team."

That is the most selfish, money-grubbing, chicken , amoral, jealous and unsportsmanlike action by a college AD and President I have seen in my lifetime.

The rest of the ACC schools should vote BC out of the league, and welcome UConn in.

I hope UConn has a very sharp lawyer looking for options to sue DeFilippo and Boston College.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Lets hope she commits to UCONN!!!! She looks like she may be another special one from CTK!!!

JS

Reaction Score
Nice that Taya's coming.

I guess if Omar Calhoun shows up, Sierra will too, although both were on campus last weekend.

So that'd be two from 2012 (Morgan, Xylina) and one each from 2013 (Taya) and 2014 (Sierra). Am I missing anybody that's been confirmed?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The Scout poster Blacktop, who knows a lot about NY players, recently wrote this about Sierra whom he calls "the Real McCoy:"

"Calhoun has developed into a devastating and potent wing-guard threat in the open court as well as in a half-court set. Her medium range game has become very consistent, utilizing a two to three dribble pull-up. With a low and tight dribble Calhoun has the dexterity to lose defenders and create separation at will, at a true 6'-1" and growing this makes her unstoppable to defend. Although Christ the King has not had a national powerhouse team or a collegiate program changing prospect since the likes of Tina Charles, Sierra Calhoun is on her way to becoming just that. In regards to any high major prospect at Christ The King Geno and Staff usually have first dibs. However, Calhoun is very wide open in terms of her recruitment."

Reaction Score
"We didn't want them in," DeFilippo said. "It was a matter of turf. We wanted to be the New England team."
That is the most selfish, money-grubbing, chicken darn, amoral, jealous and unsportsmanlike action by a college AD and President I have seen in my lifetime.
The rest of the ACC schools should vote BC out of the league, and welcome UConn in. I hope UConn has a very sharp lawyer looking for options to sue DeFilippo and Boston College.

Don't get upset. Take Mario Puzo's advice: “it's just business nothing personal...”

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Nice that Taya's coming.

I guess if Omar Calhoun shows up, Sierra will too, although both were on campus last weekend.

So that'd be two from 2012 (Morgan, Xylina) and one each from 2013 (Taya) and 2014 (Sierra). Am I missing anybody that's been confirmed?

I'll be interested in whether Jannah Tucker (G, 2013) will be in Storrs for First Night. Chris Dailey was among the coaches watching Tucker light it up at an AAU event this past weekend. The Frese was also there and hoping Tucker decides to stay home and attend UMD.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I would take Omar and Sierra's dad's comments over Blacktop's. Also, what the dad said is consistent with word on the street (from him) for quite awhile.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I dont think they are a package deal as some may think of a deal. I dont beleive there is a deal deal. Both want to play for UConn and weve read that for the past couple of years . Their dad wants them at UConn, too. A very nice situation. On Sierra she is a great player and over the next couple of years keep an eye on her. Shes going to be even better in fact terrific.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
"Package Deal" implies that UConn would have to take them both or none at all. I do not sense that is the case. Older brother Omar is a UConn commit. I do not have any knowledge of Sierra yet having a scholarship offer (but it is reasonable to think that one may be forthcoming). I believe if they both wind up at UConn (nice thought!) it will be the result of separate decisions by coaches Calhoun and Auriemma and separate decisions by Omar and Sierra. That is not, to me, a "package deal."

Anyone remember the two sisters who went to Duke as a "package deal"? One was pretty good and the other one wasn't. No wonder Geno steered clear of that "deal."

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
"Package Deal" implies that UConn would have to take them both or none at all. I do not sense that is the case. Older brother Omar is a UConn commit. I do not have any knowledge of Sierra yet having a scholarship offer (but it is reasonable to think that one may be forthcoming). I believe if they both wind up at UConn (nice thought!) it will be the result of separate decisions by coaches Calhoun and Auriemma and separate decisions by Omar and Sierra. That is not, to me, a "package deal."

Anyone remember the two sisters who went to Duke as a "package deal"? One was pretty good and the other one wasn't. No wonder Geno steered clear of that "deal."
Kib is right. The Waners and Paris sisters (certainly the latter) were true package deals. The Calhouns just want to play at the same place--there is no deal that, if you take one, you have to take both.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Kib is right. The Waners and Paris sisters (certainly the latter) were true package deals. The Calhouns just want to play at the same place--there is no deal that, if you take one, you have to take both.
+1

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I'll be interested in whether Jannah Tucker (G, 2013) will be in Storrs for First Night. Chris Dailey was among the coaches watching Tucker light it up at an AAU event this past weekend. The Frese was also there and hoping Tucker decides to stay home and attend UMD.

Correction: it was Shea not CD who was in Philadelphia watching Tucker play at the USJNs. It appears CD stayed on the west coast after her visit to Russell's high school and traveled to California to watch some AAU events.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I believe there were triplets who played in Pennsylvania who were also a package deal...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I believe there were triplets who played in Pennsylvania who were also a package deal...
The Pep Boys?

images

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Back to the Waners, the ultimate justification for avoiding package deals. Emily was, as I now recall, the older sister and she went to one of the schools in Colorado (Colorado State?) and was a marginal player. Ultimately, Abby went to Duke but it was indeed a package deal (Both or none!), so Emily transferred to Duke and they were teammates for a couple years.

I remember watching them at the Paradise Jam in the Virgin Islands. Abby was a good player and her sister was dreadful. Seems to me that Emily packed it in before graduating, but she should forever be grateful to sister Abby for finagling to get her a fully paid athletic scholarship to Duke University. It was a heist that Red Auerbach would have been proud of.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score

Now I remember it was Virginia actually...it was Megan, Molly and Moriah Frazee. The triplets, who play basketball together at Liberty University.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom