Omaha steak - question for experts | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Omaha steak - question for experts

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
We try to stop her, but my mother always sends Omaha Steak packages to my brothers and I randomly during the year.

Honestly, it’s crap.

I would say the steaks are usually below what I can get in the supermarket and way, way below what you could get at a butcher shop. The hamburger is nothing special. I would never buy it on my own, but I actually do like their seafood.

Back to the steaks....with the last batch we got, we had no interest in eating them as steak because, again, they’re kinda crappy. So we cut them razor thin and used them for cheesesteak sandwiches. That’s a lot of money for steak-um.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Just give me the natural cow from my local farmer that I can buy in 1/2's and 1/4's.

As far as making real beef taste like commercial beef via finishing with grain or corn - Argentine beef that was routinely touted as the best tasting in the world and was grass from birth to death has gone south since they introduced finishing about a decade ago and that is widely accepted with consumers and chefs. Never mind that grass fed is a healthier beef.

If you're buying beef that from Omaha or your local market you're just getting feedlot beef - I'm not by their feedlot mentioned here, but have passing familiarity with their operation -https://www.fda.gov/ICECI/EnforcementActions/WarningLetters/ucm435077.htm

If you're going to consume beef on the regular do yourself a favor and find a farmer and know where your beef comes from.

People like what they like, but for the life of me I don't understand how the American palates got so timid - I suspect many here would say wild venison and wild hog would be gamey and would turn their nose up at a flavorful local farm raised chicken.

Was gonna mention the Argentine meat industry too.

I prefer grass fed as well, and not just for health reasons. It tastes how meat is supposed to taste. Why I love buffalo too. 100% agree on venison.

Grain fed means you get more fat, and that's largely why it tastes good.

Either way, if it's a good cut, I'm enjoying. Not overly picky.

Reaction Score
I usually send a big box to my Mom and Bro's at X-mas, they love it

Reaction Score
I would say the steaks are usually below what I can get in the supermarket and way, way below what you could get at a butcher shop. The hamburger is nothing special. I would never buy it on my own, but I actually do like their seafood.

What you're getting from most (not all) supermarkets isn't that much different than what you get at your local butcher shop. The butcher shops are just buying from the big commercial packing plants.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I like Omaha steaks, but I have very low standards.

A friend of mine says Omaha steaks taste like meat that spent a couple days on a truck before being dropped on your porch in a styrofoam box.

Reaction Score
I like them but I’m not a food snob. There is a store in West Hartford Center.

Reaction Score
personally, I would not eat the myself, but its good for the fame and relatives.

Reaction Score
What you're getting from most (not all) supermarkets isn't that much different than what you get at your local butcher shop. The butcher shops are just buying from the big commercial packing plants.

Ehh. We have two relatively new butcher shops in Fairfield/Westport and it is different. They receive the entire animal from medium sized farms in CT/NY where the cows live normal cow lives. I think these types of places are becoming very popular, at least in areas like this.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
personally, I would not eat the # 2 myself, but its good for the fame and relatives.

0BB28421-FC06-4397-97AB-30C97B70EF62.jpeg

Reaction Score
Costco had the best meat for the best price

#thereisaidit

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

You’re going to the wrong butcher shop.

Reaction Score
Retired chef here. Omaha steaks? Run away as fast as you can! This stuff SUCKS!

Well put. I receive a gift box every Xmas from a relative and re-gift it to a neighbor. When I want a steak, I want a good steak and go to a butcher shop or a high end super market with it's own butcher shop. I'm too old and cranky to even consider having a tiny Omaha streak that has zero taste.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom