Olympic women's basketball tournament (5x5) (SPOILER ALERT) | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Olympic women's basketball tournament (5x5) (SPOILER ALERT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If you watched Stewie in the second half bringing the ball up, she was being shoved , so she took her off arm and just moved the Japanese girl out of the way.
They didn't stop, but neither did Stewie.
Not the way we like to play, but if referees won't call fouls , that's the way you play.
The International game is very physical. Noticed during the FIBA tournament the college girls gave the REFS some puzzled looks when they got shoved and hacked with no calls.

Reaction Score
The International game is very physical. Noticed during the FIBA tournament the college girls gave the REFS some puzzled looks when they got shoved and hacked with no calls.
One play sue got elbowed hard in the face, and driven to the floor , no call ref was looking at play, and ignored the elbow.

Reaction Score
One play sue got elbowed hard in the face, and driven to the floor , no call ref was looking at play, and ignored the elbow.
Maybe I'm thinking of a different play. Without going back to look for the play, I recall it was called a foul and if I remember correctly the refs looked at the replay. TV showed the elbow to the jaw 2 or 3 times and that may be clouding my memory.

I do agree with you about the officiating. I thought the 3x3 was rough and tumble (play ground basketball) 5x5 looks just as bad. The refs do call fouls on shot attempts, but if the ball isn't being shot at the hoop you can get away with a lot.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Next game: USA/France

12:30 AM...our time...Monday morning....USA Network...Probably a replay here late afternoon.
I think that is our last pool play game. Medal games later next week.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Next game: USA/France

12:30 AM...our time...Monday morning....USA Network...Probably a replay here late afternoon.
I think that is our last pool play game. Medal games later next week.
Add intriguing Spain vs Canada 9PM on Stream or 11:30 PM on USA

Reaction Score
Maybe I'm thinking of a different play. Without going back to look for the play, I recall it was called a foul and if I remember correctly the refs looked at the replay. TV showed the elbow to the jaw 2 or 3 times and that may be clouding my memory.

I do agree with you about the officiating. I thought the 3x3 was rough and tumble (play ground basketball) 5x5 looks just as bad. The refs do call fouls on shot attempts, but if the ball isn't being shot at the hoop you can get away with a lot.
Time for Big Mama Stef to move over

Reaction Score
Add intriguing Spain vs Canada 9PM on Stream or 11:30 PM on USA
My on screen guide has only a one hour block for the replay so they probably won't show the full game.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
40-34 Spain. But Kia Nurse 2-3 from 3 with a clutch 3 just before half time

3rd Q total disaster for Canada. No one can score.

Last edited:

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score

You are correct

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
40-34 Spain. But Kia Nurse 2-3 from 3 with a clutch 3 just before half time

3rd Q total disaster for Canada. No one can score.
Canada falls to Spain, 76-66. Really lost it in the 1st and 3rd quarters. Nurse was her team's leading scorer with 14 points, on 4 of 7 from the arc (4-10 overall). Achonwa had 11 and Amihere 10.

Canada had no answer for Ndour, who went for 20 points on 9-11 FG plus 11 rebounds. Ouvina had 15 and Torrens 12.

Spain finishes 3-0 in Group A; Canada finishes 1-2. If Serbia beats South Korea as expected, Canada will finish 3rd in group and could be in danger of not advancing, although their relatively good point differential would bode well for a tiebreaker scenario.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Canada falls to Spain, 76-66. Really lost it in the 1st and 3rd quarters. Nurse was her team's leading scorer with 14 points, on 4 of 7 from the arc (4-10 overall). Achonwa had 11 and Amihere 10.

Canada had no answer for Ndour, who went for 20 points on 9-11 FG plus 11 rebounds. Ouvina had 15 and Torrens 12.

Spain finishes 3-0 in Group A; Canada finishes 1-2. If Serbia beats South Korea as expected, Canada will finish 3rd in group and could be in danger of not advancing, although their relatively good point differential would bode well for a tiebreaker scenario.
Not that long ago Canada entered these competitions with a chance at earning a medal but the talent is just not there. Amihere and Edwards may have bright futures but there are no elite players on the team. Nurse is a solid guard but a streaky and inefficient shooter.

Canada should continue to qualify for World Cups and Olympics because the teams in the Fiba Americas aside from Team USA are so weak.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Some good quotes by Sue in this article by Voepel. For example:

"I feel like we've been telling you guys for years that we're making it look easy, something that's really hard," Bird said Friday. "Now what you're seeing is, we told you so, it is hard. That's not to say we're not headed in the right direction."​

The article also notes that Diggins was "banged up" in practice and therefore DNP.

Plebe

Reaction Score
The US-France game starts in a few minutes on USA Network.

It was a bit lost amid all the discussion over the US-Japan game, but France dominated Nigeria, 87-62, with very balanced scoring. Gruda led with 14, and four other players (Gabby included) had 13.

France is 1-1 and will be possibly fighting to advance, which could come down to point differential.

Last edited:

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Taurasi injured her wrist.. Out after just a few minutes. She gets hurt SO much. What a bummer.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Poor Outside shooting by Team USA in 1st Quarter. Hot shooting by France gives them the lead at the end of the 1st quarter.

DT wasn't in condition prior to the Olympics and IMO should not have made the team.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
USA 50 France 44

Great 2nd quarter by team USA lead by Stewie and Aja Wilson.
DT did come back into the game in 2nd quarter.

Reaction Score
USA takes the 50-44 lead into halftime. The reserves (Charles, Diggins, Fowles, Gray, and Lloyd) are a combined 6-13 (.462) with 17 pts, 4 rebounds, and 10 assists in the 1st half.....

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
Team US up by 6 at the half. Both teams playing well. Aja Wilson keeps getting better.

Reaction Score
Anybody else annoyed by Kara Lawson as a live color announcer? She has nothing good to say about Taurasi and she's just dull. The UConn jealousy lives on..

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Really Poor defense by Team USA France has now taken a one point lead.

USA getting minimum scoring from their guards.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
USA had a chance to keep France out of the Medal Round with a blowout win. Its still early in the 4th Quarter, but it would be a shame if France doesn't make it to the Medal Round. Game is not over, but I don't see USA losing.

Reaction Score
80-74 USA now - A'ja Wilson on a tear: she's gone 3-3 in less than 2 minutes off the bench.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom