Olson, Laflin, McCormick Weigh In: Could UConn women be poised for another dominant run with 2020, 2021 recruiting classes? | The Boneyard

Olson, Laflin, McCormick Weigh In: Could UConn women be poised for another dominant run with 2020, 2021 recruiting classes?

Reaction Score
Three recruiting experts weigh in

"With the 2021 recruits signed, the program’s attention turns to filling out the 2022 class, which already features commit Isuneh “Ice” Brady, a 6-3 power forward out of San Diego. Olson says she’s even more of an enforcer on the block than DeBerry or Nelson-Ododa but not tall enough to be a true center. "

Reaction Score
I don't believe any womans team will ever dominate like some of the past Uconn teams have done in the past. There is just too much parity in WCBB today. To win consistantly in the tourn. requires not just being the best team but they must also overcome all sorts of variables involved and that `requires them to be far superior to all the other teams.

Reaction Score
An interesting article. I remember after the 90 game win streak ended at the hands of Stanford everyone said similar things. That was also true when UConn lost in the Final Four that same season to Notre Dame—everyone claimed we’d never see a win streak like that and parity had finally arrived in the women’s game. Then enter Breanna Stewart and co. and after 4 straight national championships and a 111 game win streak that extended into what was expected to be a down year for UConn, everyone said the same thing again. I’m not saying it will definitely happen, but with two “once-in-a-lifetime-like players” on the roster starting next year and an unbelievable amount of talent around them, it’s hard to imagine there won’t be at least some major streak or run of national championships. Again, not saying it will for sure happen, but it seems like after every UConn run ends they talk about parity for a few seasons before UConn dominates again (see post-Diana, post-Maya, and post-Stewie eras for evidence of this).

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
With this years roster and the next two years of recruits we have a really good chance to set alot more records. I agree with the parity however we have to many terrific players and a coaching staff that can get the job done. There will have to be a defense that can stop us because we wont get out scored and a game that is slowed down so the score is in the 60's or less. Going undefeated this season will depend alot on what happens against Miss St and LVille and then SC. We win those games and it could be lights out for the next 4 years barring injuries sickness and transfers. This years team lacks experience which they can make up in talent.

Reaction Score

"With the 2021 recruits signed, the program’s attention turns to filling out the 2022 class, which already features commit Isuneh “Ice” Brady, a 6-3 power forward out of San Diego. Olson says she’s even more of an enforcer on the block than DeBerry or Nelson-Ododa but not tall enough to be a true center. "

Thanks for posting this interesting article, RoadWarrior. Regarding Olson, Kiah Stokes is 6’ 3” and she is definitely tall enough to be an effective center for the Liberty in the WNBA. Isuneh Brady is a banger in the paint who already has really good footwork for her age, plus a three shot. Not sure about Ice’s vertical leaping ability though, can someone who has seen her in person please enlighten? Irregardless, Ice definitely has the tools and upside to thrive in Geno’s “positionless” system. Under the Husky coaching staff, Ice and Amari DeBerry will have what it takes to be a very imposing frontcourt duo during their upperclassmen years together. Exceptional, skilled footwork got 6’ 2” Morgan Tuck very far at UConn. The possibility of adding 6’ 7” Betts into the 2022 mix almost seems like it would be an embarrassment of riches. Of course we would love to have her, too, but I am grateful the Huskies have the verbal from Brady.

Reaction Score
UConn will be formidable in the coming years. But whether or not they get to the heights that they have previously achieved (the Maya/Stewart years) and start putting together unbeaten seasons depends, I think, on how good Paige and Azzi become. If they are very good college players, even AA, then we will be in the mix with the other top programs. But if they are both the "transcendent" players at the college level, then we are looking at multiple championships and an undefeated season or two.

Reaction Score
Thanks for posting this interesting article, RoadWarrior. Regarding Olson, Kiah Stokes is 6’ 3” and she is definitely tall enough to be an effective center for the Liberty in the WNBA. Isuneh Brady is a banger in the paint who already has really good footwork for her age, plus a three shot. Not sure about Ice’s vertical leaping ability though, can someone who has seen her in person please enlighten? Irregardless, Ice definitely has the tools and upside to thrive in Geno’s “positionless” system. Under the Husky coaching staff, Ice and Amari DeBerry will have what it takes to be a very imposing frontcourt duo during their upperclassmen years together. Exceptional, skilled footwork got 6’ 2” Morgan Tuck very far at UConn. The possibility of adding 6’ 7” Betts into the 2022 mix almost seems like it would be an embarrassment of riches. Of course we would love to have her, too, but I am grateful the Huskies have the verbal from Brady.
I saw her play twice.... she is NOT a leaper... more of a banger... great footwork, though. She's not as "long" as Kiah Stokes. I don't expect her to be an elite shot blocker, but she will be a muscular presence in the post... and she has a nice touch on her shot as well. Since she's young, maybe she'll grow another inch or so... or three! :)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
As long as we have the pieces to compete and play in the beautiful UConn style, I am good and it seems our roster has everything we need to accomplish this.

I am hoping SC / UConn will take on the TN / UConn fervor and we go at it for multiple NC

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
The old adage "never say never" comes to mind with reading this article. Too many factors come into play like injuries, transfers and for this year/ season COVID.

Talent is great but coaching will make a big difference. Geno hasn't lost the desire to win. Nor has he lost the talent to bring all this talent together into a team that's bad for women's basketball again.

South Carolina, Stanford, Baylor are going to be there. We'll see how Oregon adjusts to life post Sabrina. But who has the better coach?

There may not be another long win streak. But if any program can put together a run of national championships its Geno and UConn.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
Opinion, opinions we all have them, 4 years, 120+ wins in a row later... I'm just hoping the good Lord grant me the luxury of time that these old eyes of mine can witness for myself what I already know, That all things are possible for those who believe... Greater things than what has already been accomplished are yet to come... So sayeth Bajan Best :)

Reaction Score
As long as we have the pieces to compete and play in the beautiful UConn style, I am good and it seems our roster has everything we need to accomplish this.

I am hoping SC / UConn will take on the TN / UConn fervor and we go at it for multiple NC

Their fans are too rational for that level of fervor.

Reaction Score

So this may be the opinion of a recruiter but UConn is different. If Wolters to Gabby with everything in between can play the 5 and be successful than I am sure Brady can play either 4 or 5 in a UConn motion offense and probably toggle between the two within games. She reminds me a lot of Tuck in film and a young freshman and healthy Camara at KY before her body pooped out on her.

Reaction Score
These rankers have a bias. Are they going to tell a recruit that Baylor/S Car/Stan/etc. are great schools "but you have no shot at a title because of UConn"?

Even during those streaks UConn faced some tough teams loaded with talent and before the game we were told they had a great chance to win. And at the end of the game, when UConn would win by 20+, the comments would be about how things might be different in the NCAA's.

These experts are first and foremost business people and everything they say is part of a sales pitch.

Reaction Score

Thanks for this. Not only did I get to reach the unreadable Courant, but I saved $1, an impossible dream.
As for the article, it's interesting that at UConn folks don't talk about winning an NC; they talk about a whole necklace of multiple NCs. Stewie set the tone, but, as noted, it's been easier to talk the talk and harder to you know what since she took her 4 fingers to the WNBA.
Somehow I have to live long enough to see the next run . . .

Reaction Score
I don't believe any womans team will ever dominate like some of the past Uconn teams have done in the past. There is just too much parity in WCBB today. To win consistantly in the tourn. requires not just being the best team but they must also overcome all sorts of variables involved and that `requires them to be far superior to all the other teams.
Not quite sure about that Willtalk. Historically there are a number of men's teams who, year after year, emphasize basketball. North Carolina, Kentucky, Indiana, Michigan State, LaSalle, and Uconn just to name a few. You know five years from now that those same schools will be focusing on basketball. It's doesn't be the same, right now, for women's basketball. Some schools, for a certain period of time, will do it. Baylor, South Carolina and Uconn right now. Others who were in the top echelon just a few years ago have dropped off. Until there are a group of, say, twelve to fifteen schools who are in the mix for a national championship Uconn will always be in the top tier of no more than three or four.

Reaction Score
If UConn can start 8-0 with wins over Miss St, Louisville and Baylor, our Gamecock friends might feel a little twitch in their balloon knots. :D:eek:

Reaction Score
Thanks for this. Not only did I get to reach the unreadable Courant, but I saved $1, an impossible dream.
As for the article, it's interesting that at UConn folks don't talk about winning an NC; they talk about a whole necklace of multiple NCs. Stewie set the tone, but, as noted, it's been easier to talk the talk and harder to you know what since she took her 4 fingers to the WNBA.
Somehow I have to live long enough to see the next run . . .
Today I finally got through to a human being at the Courant to cancel my promotional e-subscription (promo expired and they started charging me $7.95/month, and it’s impossible to cancel online). I was offered several progressively more attractive - last one almost free - new promotional rates, but I declined. Just don’t ever wanna go through this again.

Reaction Score
If UConn can start 8-0 with wins over Miss St, Louisville and Baylor, our Gamecock friends might feel a little twitch in their balloon knots. :D:eek:
I recommend a colonoscopy..

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom