Ollie's Press Conference - Interesting | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Ollie's Press Conference - Interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Next time someone says we don't need a bit-time guard recruit because we are loaded with talent and we don't want to cause bad chemistry, remember this.
Same with the folks that say " We don't need top recruits, its not the Uconn way".Boat and DHam are the bigger recruits on this team. Imagine life without them. (I still hold out some hope for Purvis too)

Reaction Score
Can anyone provide a link to the post game presser from last night?

H

huskymagic

Godfrey wanted to come here and would've helped too. But he did't get past admissions from what I read and heard!

LOL mauconn you think Godfrey didn't come here due to admissions not accepting him. You know how things get done in life when a coach at a big institution really wants somebody it's a done deal. :rolleyes:

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
think ollies pissed that he thought calhoun would be playing by now or trying to? and because of that he didnt bring anyone else in?

H

huskymagic

Next time someone says we don't need a bit-time guard recruit because we are loaded with talent and we don't want to cause bad chemistry, remember this.
Same with the folks that say " We don't need top recruits, its not the Uconn way".Boat and DHam are the bigger recruits on this team. Imagine life without them. (I still hold out some hope for Purvis too)

good point david this should be directed to the kool aid fans who think we have too much talent that's why guys don't want to play here. Losing Prince Ali is looking like a big miss for next year.

H

huskymagic

Ollie also said that he told his player's exactly what to do at the end of both games.
His player's didn't do what he told them to do and that is his fault.
said he needs to put players out there that will listen to him and do what they are suppose to.

seems cassell and hamilton atre the two players that botched the switching screens both times?
i don't remember, i was too busy yelling at my tv.
that's sorta throwing your players under the bus though.
but at this stage i guess he's just calling people out to motivate them.

Sophomore Center Amida Brimah: "On whether there is a lack of team chemistry"I don't think the chemistry of the team is what it was last year. Until we get that together, it's going to be tough for us."

Brimah's quote says it all. Nothing more to add. Make him our focal point offense, he needs to touch the ball at least once in the half court every possession.

Reaction Score
LOL mauconn you think Godfrey didn't come here due to admissions not accepting him. You know how things get done in life when a coach at a big institution really wants somebody it's a done deal. :rolleyes:

Um, yes. This has happened with the football team a lot in the last few years. You don't think, that after the APR bs, that the basketball team isn't under intense scrutiny from the higher ups?

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Ray Kasongo.

H

huskymagic

Um, yes. This has happened with the football team a lot in the last few years. You don't think, that after the APR bs, that the basketball team isn't under intense scrutiny from the higher ups?

That's why Godfrey went to Memphis who apparently has almost perfect APR scores last 4 years. It doesn't matter anymore anyway but we need to be wisely using all of our scholarships and looking at options that can help. Ollie needs to recruit 2 good wing players for next year's team.

Reaction Score
That's why Godfrey went to Memphis who apparently has almost perfect APR scores last 4 years. It doesn't matter anymore anyway but we need to be wisely using all of our scholarships and looking at options that can help. Ollie needs to recruit 2 good wing players for next year's team.

APR has nothing to do with academics.

As for admissions, grad admissions is unlike undergrad. It is not done by admissions professionals at the university or college level (I'm sure those pros can be influenced by coaches and such, especially when it comes to legacy students or donors with big pockets). Grad admissions is done by very small departmental faculty committees. It is done by 3 or 4 people, usually, all of whom have tenure.

Now figure out a way to influence those people.

H

huskymagic

APR has nothing to do with academics.

As for admissions, grad admissions is unlike undergrad. It is not done by admissions professionals at the university or college level (I'm sure those pros can be influenced by coaches and such, especially when it comes to legacy students or donors with big pockets). Grad admissions is done by very small departmental faculty committees. It is done by 3 or 4 people, usually, all of whom have tenure.

Now figure out a way to influence those people.

Upstater seriously do those 3 or 4 people work for UCONN and under the helm of Susan Herbst? If so, they can be influenced to accept whoever is important to the University or an asset such as an incoming basketball player for only one year. Tenure does not mean anything, the president or institution can move you from your department or worse :oops:if they think someone is uncooperative.... You get the picture.

We need to be seriously recruiting some quality wing players for next year wherever they are American or not.

Reaction Score
Upstater seriously do those 3 or 4 people work for UCONN and under the helm of Susan Herbst? If so, they can be influenced to accept whoever is important to the University or an asset such as an incoming basketball player for only one year. Tenure does not mean anything, the president or institution can move you from your department or worse :oops:if they think someone is uncooperative.... You get the picture.

We need to be seriously recruiting some quality wing players for next year wherever they are American or not.

There are all sorts of things a president can do to enemies of her interests. The things you mentioned? She can't do. She can prevent discretionary raises (i.e. outside of any automatic risers), but she can't do what you say.

The key is this: it would never even get to this level because the request would never be made in the first place. It may be relayed to someone that the athletic department is interested in an applicant (whatever that's worth) but this kind of thing would never come down from administration. Because the administration would be called to the mat for it in various forums on campus. Unlike CEOs who don't care what their minions want, campus administrators need good relationships to approve policies, and they are asked questions in committees.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Ollie also said that he told his player's exactly what to do at the end of both games.
His player's didn't do what he told them to do and that is his fault.
said he needs to put players out there that will listen to him and do what they are suppose to.

seems cassell and hamilton atre the two players that botched the switching screens both times?
i don't remember, i was too busy yelling at my tv.
that's sorta throwing your players under the bus though.
but at this stage i guess he's just calling people out to motivate them.

What a statement - the players didn't do what the coach told them to do so it's the coach who is at fault??????????
You make some absurd observations
Maybe you should watch the TV and not yell at it

Reaction Score
What a statement - the players didn't do what the coach told them to do so it's the coach who is at fault??????????
You make some absurd observations
Maybe you should watch the TV and not yell at it

Ollie said that, not me.
Just the Facts.

Reaction Score
There's nothing wrong with this team that some better shooting and rebounding wouldn't cure. Last second impromptu plays have to be one of the toughest things for young players to get right, especially on the defensive end. This is a new team and as National Champs, we're every other team's Super Bowl. I think we'll be fine, but not until we get another 5-6 games under our belts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom